First DVC stay - what to take

Christopher5927

Mouseketeer
Our first DVC stay is approaching - August 10 - 24 and I was wondering if any UK DVC owners have any tips on what we can take into the US. Is washing powder and dishwasher tablets OK to take in hold baggage? Any help would be appreciated.

Don't know how much laundry you are planning on doing, but they start you off with one package and I think you also get a starter for the dishwasher..

Foodwise anything packaged shouldn't be a problem

We just take a couple of washing powder tablets with us when ever we have stayed DVC and there has usually been dishwashing powder. We rarely eat in enought to use it all up.

We carry the washing powder tablets in our hold luggage.

DW buys paper plates so the only cleaning is to empty the bin
Paulh

paulh said:
DW buys paper plates so the only cleaning is to empty the bin
Paulh

DW sounds like my kind of girl Paul :thumbsup2

Have fun Christopher :)

We don't take anything special.

They give you plenty of dishwasher detergent so no need to bring that. There will also be one small box of Tide (enough for two loads of laundry) in the room and you get another box on trash and towel days and of course on any full cleaning days you might have.

Everything else you need should be in your villa. For a full list, follow this link: http://allearsnet.com/acc/bwv_kit.htm. The list is not specific to the BWV but applies to all DVC resorts.

Hope that helps, :sunny:

Charlotte

We generally stay in a villa , but for the 1st few nights this August we are staying at Boardwalk.
I just presume therefore we would shop for groceries etc, the same as we would if staying at a villa, only on a lesser scale probably.

I know there is a store on-site , not sure if it would stock all that we would require for the 4 nights though?

We stay at the Beach Club in a studio and buy crockery and cutlery from Wal-Mart. it was $7 last time for four place settings and $1 for knife.fork spoon. We left it when we came home!!
We buy bits of breakfast food and some snacks which go in the cupboards/fridge and some coffee and filters. Other than that, washing up liquid and wahsing (clothes) powder is provided. The only other thing we buy are drinks and fill our park bottles up every day.
The stores on property are very expensive so I woudl say only use them in emergencies.
You will love it!!!!

edenlee said:
The stores on property are very expensive so I woudl say only use them in emergencies.
You will love it!!!!

Yes I thought they would be - no problem, we can buy what we need from Publix.

Johnny to be honest you would be better using the onsite gas stations (hess)as they have a better range of food,beers and cokes,than the resort shop.And on a price comparason hess are not that much dearer than walmart.
We always get our Krispy Kream donuts from them when we are on our way to a waterpark
Paulh

paulh said:
Johnny to be honest you would be better using the onsite gas stations (hess)as they have a better range of food,beers and cokes,than the resort shop.And on a price comparason hess are not that much dearer than walmart.
We always get our Krispy Kream donuts from them when we are on our way to a waterpark
Paulh

Ok mate , thanks for that :thumbsup2

paulh said:
Johnny to be honest you would be better using the onsite gas stations (hess)as they have a better range of food,beers and cokes,than the resort shop.
I'd never thought of the gas stations for supplies. Good tip :thumbsup2

We take washing powder tablets in our luggage as we find not using the 'usual ones' gives us a rash. And I just use one at a time and do half a load of washing every couple of days.

We also take tea bags as I find the American ones are rubbish.

Other than that we enjoy trying out the different things you can't buy here in the UK

we are going at christmas and were wondering if anyone has ever sent anything on ahead? I am thinking christmas stockings for the children. I dont want to run the risk of them seeing them in the luggage.

Washing powder tablets are not available in the US (a yank chiming in here :) )so I would bring plenty! You can pack so much lighter with a washer and dryer. We take washing powder in plastic food zip-lock bags- we double bag just in case, and stuff them in shoes. Bringing tea is a good idea if you have a favorite- most Americans if handed loose tea would probably try to smoke it as tea here is always in a bag (although loose tea is available-just not popular). We also bring a water filter (pur/brita) packed in checked luggage and filled with tea/coffee/socks as we find the water taste a bit off to us (Disney water is better than most non-bottled Florida water but taste kind on chalky to us- filtered water is better than drinking coke all the time).

With the pound so strong just buy what you need when you get here ;) !

In August bring some very light cool clothing and a hat- a lightweight long sleve shirt is good to prevent sunburn.

Have Fun, Jean and Bob

mowog said:
.... as we find the water taste a bit off to us (Disney water is better than most non-bottled Florida water but taste kind on chalky to us- filtered water is better than drinking coke all the time).

Oooooh, the taste of the tap water in Florida - ugh! First stop is always to buy some drinking water ;)

My list is similar to everyone else's - washing tablets, coffee, tea and extra filters. The only other thing we take - but only if staying in a studio - is a small sharp knife; useful for cutting up fruit etc.

You could send ahead i'm sure or you can buy from the xmas shop downtown or other stores, otherwise stick the stockings in bin bags and put at the bottom of case to avoid peeking

when we went at chrismas we put the kids presents in a large hand luggae bag.The kids never noticed then at all was amazzed.We only took a few things.We were given sweets by disney on the door handle for the kids xmas mornning
Paulh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter