First DVC Trip - EPCOT Resorts - Learned A lot

Sarah's Dad

It all started with my little princess
We have been going to WDW for years and finally decided to buy into DVC. We were meeting a family from CA and they suggested the BWV for our 07/12 - 07/20 trip.

I can't say I was disappointed, but there were clearly subtle nuances that became apparent to all the EPCOT resorts and some short-comings.

For all that the BWV offered there was one thing the stuck out that didn't work for us; there is no cafeteria style area to pick up breakfast items to start our day.

My wife or I usually wake up; go to the Mara, Roaring Forks, etc. and pickup cereal, juice, coffee, tea, or croissants and bring them back to the room.

I was surprised to find that this was not an option. No cafeteria and no real options to fill up your "refillable" mugs except for the bakery or sweet shop. The bakery always had a line and wasn't convenient if you just want to get more coffee or tea.

As a side note, this was the first year in many that I didn't not buy a refillable mug because it was inconvenient to get refills.

Funny thing; I found out that the Yacht and Beach Club both have a "Marketplace", the Yacht club version has NO food, but the Beach club has a full compliment of souvenirs, convenience store items, and cafeteria style food.

I realize this is "our" way of starting the day at WDW, but after visiting all the EPCOT resorts the Beach Club won hands down; although the reality is the Wilderness Lodge has been our favorite for years.

Although we love the Boardwalk and own there that is also our biggest complaint. We cannot figure out who they don't had a quick service/refillable mug area when every other resort has this option. There are many areas where this could be added to the resort and it would make staying there so much more enjoyable. I hope Disney is listening!

Agreed... I love our BWV but I would love it even more if they had a "cafe" style option. Maybe they couldconvert the old DVC offices into something similar.:thumbsup2

We have not yet stayed at Boardwalk for the sole reason that they dont have the "marketplace" area for quick goodies. Our kids LOVE to run get us muffins and bananas in the morning. It has always made them feel very grown-up to get to do this on their own. When we toured Boardwalk we realized that it was missing this important amenity for us. Why would Disney not put this in? Hmmm....

Agreed BW is lacking in this department, although lately we have been using the DP and a bagel or something on our BW View balcony crushes any other choice to start our day at WDW. One thing we have noticed though with DVC and kitchens (and garden grocer.com) is we stopped getting the mugs since we have unlimited beverages in our room. We are not coffee drinkers though so maybe some folks like them for that. As far as distance to the refill station at BWV-wait until you try OKW and SSR.

No quick service is my complaint about BWV. I attended the BWV annual meeting and 2003 and it was brought up. They said they were looking at it but it doesn't look like much progress has been made. They also said they were installing coffee tables in the studios and HDTV's in all of the rooms, neither of which has happened.

BWV is one of our "homes" but ITA that there should be a CS place (I don't count the Bakery:sad2: ); if ESPN is actually moving, maybe, maybe, TPTB will put a CS in a section of the vacant space :rolleyes1 .
For us, the refillable mugs aren't an issue; we're too coffee-:snooty: to enjoy the Nestle "stuff" that's served in most WDW places, so we bring our own "stash" from home. :hippie:

(I guess that explains why any of our TS breakfast meals seem to always be at Boma, Kona, or the Swolphin resorts :lmao:)

We have been going to WDW for years and finally decided to buy into DVC. We were meeting a family from CA and they suggested the BWV for our 07/12 - 07/20 trip.

I can't say I was disappointed, but there were clearly subtle nuances that became apparent to all the EPCOT resorts and some short-comings.

For all that the BWV offered there was one thing the stuck out that didn't work for us; there is no cafeteria style area to pick up breakfast items to start our day.

My wife or I usually wake up; go to the Mara, Roaring Forks, etc. and pickup cereal, juice, coffee, tea, or croissants and bring them back to the room.

I was surprised to find that this was not an option. No cafeteria and no real options to fill up your "refillable" mugs except for the bakery or sweet shop. The bakery always had a line and wasn't convenient if you just want to get more coffee or tea.

As a side note, this was the first year in many that I didn't not buy a refillable mug because it was inconvenient to get refills.

Funny thing; I found out that the Yacht and Beach Club both have a "Marketplace", the Yacht club version has NO food, but the Beach club has a full compliment of souvenirs, convenience store items, and cafeteria style food.

I realize this is "our" way of starting the day at WDW, but after visiting all the EPCOT resorts the Beach Club won hands down; although the reality is the Wilderness Lodge has been our favorite for years.

Turning DVC requires a few changes to WDW "routines".
Buy those breakfast items at "The Screen Door" the night before, save yourself the walk in the morning ( plenty of time for that in the parks :yay: ).
We make a minor grocery stop on the way from the airport and stock up on morning items and some munchies for after we close the park ( what ever park it was that night ). Love to stop at ESPN and get a bucket of wings for the room :woohoo:

We do breakfast in our room, lunch in the parks, dinner in the parks or at a resort restaurant, so lack of counter service doesn't bother us. But if ESPN moves I'd love to see a large food court area put in - we probably wouldn't use it, but it IS lacking. And I agree, DVC has changed the way we vacation - and one of the changes is that we have breakfast in the room and don't bother with refillable mugs.

I find Roaring Forks and Mara to be too far away from the rooms we've stayed at at those resorts. I haven't stayed at OKW or SSR, but their food places can be quite a distance as well (SSRs is way to small, I stopped by there about 10am and the line was long - can't imagine what its like during the 8:00 try to get to the parks for opening rush).

The lack of quick serve is a big reason why DS and DDIL wished they'd stayed at BCV instead of BWV last Spring. Also, at the BCV you can reach the fast food without going thru an uncovered area, a perk if it's raining. At BWV, to reach Boardwalk Bakery or the Spoodles Pizza Window, you have to go completely outdoors (no cover).

I might also ad that we have owned at BW since 98 -all our 525 points are there and the mug issue has become a non issue for us as is quick service food area. Our vacation habbits have changed as we eat off property or in the room-even with a studio. We treat the BW as sort of a "home base" as we utilize more of Orlando.

Scott

We were on our first trip "home" to BWV in April. The lack of a CS breakfast place was an adjustment. However, the in-laws and we cooked and ate in the villa for breakfast. I'm also a coffee snob :snooty: (Nestle coffee makes me :sick: as well) and brought enough coffee and bottled water to make my own in the mornings. Like a previous poster said, DVC somewhat changes how you do a trip to WDW. Why have the kitchen if you aren't going to use it? :surfweb:

I agree there is an adjustment period.

We do know the area, rent a car, and shop at a supermarket before hand. I liked being able to make coffee in the morning, but rolls, croissants, and pastries (items that go stale in a day) are inconvenient to get at the bakery or not available all together.

We used the kitchen, but I drink coffee, unsweetened iced tea, and coke all day long. I don't want to have to make a pot of coffee when all I want is one cup. It is much easier to pop into a cafeteria, grab my drink of choice and go. Besides I like collecting the refillable mugs; I have one from almost every resort.

Side note: I was disappointed that WDW no longer offers resort specific mugs.

I thought the BWV was nice; it has a lot to offer, but having to go outside on the Boardwalk for most retail isn’t necessarily a good idea.

Another thing that surprised me was there was no access to The Screen Door from inside the building. ?!?

The bottom line is none of these comments are anything more than observations, and not intended to be criticisms.

I mostly posted to see if I was overlooking something and what others thought of my observations.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think you're being critical at all, just observant and disappointed. I love to get up in the morning and grab my mug to get a cup of coffee and walk around while I wait for everyone else to get up.

When we were there this past March there was a couple with two small children in the Screen Door that asked me if there was a food court or quick service for breakfast like the Beach Club had. I gave them their options of the Bakery and Bellvue room. They seemed dumbfounded and very disappointed that there was nothing else. I'm sure they will not be staying at the Boardwalk again :sad1:

Again, I hope Disney is listening!

I don't think you're being critical at all, just observant and disappointed. I love to get up in the morning and grab my mug to get a cup of coffee and walk around while I wait for everyone else to get up.

When we were there this past March there was a couple with two small children in the Screen Door that asked me if there was a food court or quick service for breakfast like the Beach Club had. I gave them their options of the Bakery and Bellvue room. They seemed dumbfounded and very disappointed that there was nothing else. I'm sure they will not be staying at the Boardwalk again :sad1:

Again, I hope Disney is listening!

While I hope for a decent CS restaurant, Disney doesn't CARE if they don't stay at the BW again - particularly the Villas. Despite these limitations and others, the BWVs says full year round, and the Boardwalk has excellent occupancy rates and gets lots of return visitors.

While I hope for a decent CS restaurant, Disney doesn't CARE if they don't stay at the BW again - particularly the Villas. Despite these limitations and others, the BWVs says full year round, and the Boardwalk has excellent occupancy rates and gets lots of return visitors.

yeah it has a high occupancy rate, but that doesnt mean Disney should not CARE. They probably dont, but making small changes sometimes helps out immensly overall.

As a first timer staying at the EPCOT DVCs - BCV in November YAY! - I know that we would miss a food-court type deal. Thanks for the heads-up on BWV, so we can be prepared for the future. :)

Mike©;19896779 said:
LOL You got that right! :sad2: What were they thinking:confused: :dance3: :sad2: :scared: ???

Loads of fun in the rain :fish:

It never rains in Florida!

(I agree, they should care, but lets not fool ourselves in thinking that they are driven to care by people 'not staying at the Boardwalk again.")

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter