First trip

AndyH

Earning My Ears
:Pinkbounc We are going on our first ever trip to Florida on October 28th to November 18th. We are staying at Mango Key villa resort about 5 miles away from DW. Can anybody give us advice about how to manage our time in the parks so our boys get the most out of our trip (we have a 6 year old and a 13 year old) who are really excited about our holiday.

What clothing do you recomend to take with us, any other hints or tips would be appreciated.
Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to the DIS.
There are a lot of threads that you'll find useful. The trip reports are probably a good place to get some ideas of what you'd like to do. The older one I would imagine will like IOA and the thrill rides there. It's also worth thinking about Busch Gardens as they have some excellent coasters and animal exibits.
With the ages of your kids they should be ok to go straight through the day in the park without a rest, but still try to have a little "down time" at the hottest part of the day, Lunch somewhere either inside or at least in the shade and plan some indoor rides for the hour or so immediately after lunch.

Even in October it's still pretty warm, you may find any ladies in the group will like to have a cardigan for the restaurants in the evenings as they can get quite cold with the air conditioning.

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest buying Simon Veness's excellent "Brit's guide to Orlando " guide book. Simon is a regular on this site, but his book is still a valuable source of information, it is significantly better than other guidebooks on the things outside of Disney, which make up a large portion of things your going to want to do.

DO try to have a roiugh itinerary, it sounds very "anoraky" thing to do, but it really does help to have a plan of which parks on which days. I never stick to my plan and swap the days around, but it does help to keep track of what you need to fit in during the remaining days and means you don't cram too much in early ( or late) in the holiday .

Hope to hear some more from you as you get your plans together.

Hi, I hope you have an unbeleivable time. We stayed at the ASM for 3 weeks in April and May this year, we have been home about 10 weeks and I still get fed up thinking about the fact we had to come home. We have 2 girls 5 and 3. We took loads too much clothes for our stay, one bit of advice from me would be to only take minimal clothing. There is a laundry room at ASM if you are staying on site, we ended up bring back a full case of un worn clothes. I cant really give you that much advice generally, but if you want to drop me a line with certain questions I can offer some. As far as cash was concerned, becasue we were worried before we went that we would have enough. We allowed 2000.00 - 2500.00 spending. We bought everything we wanted, food drinks the lot and spent about 1700.00.

Hope this may help a little

Have a magical time

Jac , Steve, Beth and Ellie

Hi Andy and welcome to the DIS! :wave:

You've picked a wonderful time of year to go. The weather should still be good and hot, but without the humidity which believe me is a GOOD thing!

Are you doing anything special for Halloween? Did you know that both Disney (magic Kingdom) and Universal (IOA) do special ticketed events 'after hours' evening parties? I've done the Disney one and it was wonderful! Never done the Universal one, but the people I know who have all say it's a good deal of fun too - so might be worth considering though tickets aren't cheap, they are generally deemed to be good value for money.

Have you bought your park tickets yet? Are you just considering Disney, or are you looking to go to Seaworld, Universal and Islands of Adventure too. Do you and/or your kids like thrill rides?

If I had to give one tip then it would be to accept even before you leave that there is NO way you are going to see everything in one trip, so best to sit down and think about what appeals most to you and your family and focus on that...anything else you manage beyond that can be considered a bonus :D

Any questions...fire away!

Penny :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter