Flights to Barcelona

jxd

Mouseketeer
We (2 adults and 2 teenagers) will be on the 7 day Med cruise next May with round trip Barcelona. Can anyone make any recommendations for air travel from DFW or share their experience from another major US city? Flights are so expensive! I am not big into multiple connections to save $100 per ticket. Missing connections is not worth the savings or the time. I plan to use miles and $ to book tickets.

I understand it might be worth flying into another European city and then taking a short flight on a cheaper airline.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am very well versed on US and Canada travel but not European air travel.

We (2 adults and 2 teenagers) will be on the 7 day Med cruise next May with round trip Barcelona. Can anyone make any recommendations for air travel from DFW or share their experience from another major US city? Flights are so expensive! I am not big into multiple connections to save $100 per ticket. Missing connections is not worth the savings or the time. I plan to use miles and $ to book tickets.

I understand it might be worth flying into another European city and then taking a short flight on a cheaper airline.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am very well versed on US and Canada travel but not European air travel.
For my med cruise several years ago, I flew out of Newark(EWR) on Norwegian Air. The flights were inexpensive with the basic package and the airplanes are pretty new.

I would say keep looking and working on different airports. When we took our kids to Europe, it was $800 cheaper PER ticket to fly out of Atlanta, which was a 5 hour drive for us. And while not the most convenient due to the drive & hotel the night before, it ended up saving us at least $3500 (we are a family of 5).

I would consider the Dallas airport but also Houston, and any other airport that is a decent drive. And then try to fly into a major city- Madrid or even Paris. Paris is only a 6 hour train ride away. It looks like Lyon and Geneva aren’t too far either.

Additionally, be ready to purchase them as soon as you find them at a price you feel is a good deal. I would estimate that $1,000 per ticket would be a good deal.

Last edited:
You can try using flights.google.com to quickly search various options.

Start out by entering DFW and BCN and your dates (obviously, it's too early for May of 2020); once the pricing comes up, you can click on the starting city and select "Show more nearby airports"; when the list expands you will see the prices from airports within a few hundred miles. As an example, on the random dates that I chose, it showed Austin a few dollars cheaper than DFW.

I agree with @lindsay0526, anything under $1k would be good, under $800 would be exceptional, IMO. I do see some round trip prices between DFW and BCN for $741 this May, so it's possible.

Look into the flexible dates search and see if you can save money (or get a better points flight) coming in a day or two earlier than you planned. We flew into Barcelona and out of Zurich to make the points work. Took a 39Euro flight from Barceloa to Geneva to do some Swiss mountain stuff and then come home from Zurich. It was a great side trip after our R/T Barcelona cruise and enabled us to make the flights work with points.

We are headed to Barcelona for Spring Break in just a few weeks and were able to get non-stop flights out of ATL on Delta. My husband used Google Flights to track the tickets. Of course, the benefit for us is that we weren't looking for Barcelona, but it still is probably the best place to start.

I always book my own flight but when I was taking the Transatlantic from Barcelona a few years ago I called DCL and wound up getting my airfare from them. It was significantly cheaper than what I was finding on my own. I did book the cruise late so that could be why I was finding high air fares but I was happy with DCL's air price.

I have also flown Norwegian air from Copenhagen and found them wonderful.

MJ

We flew American and Delta using miles to avoid the fuel fees charged by Iberia and British Airways which really add up when using miles to buy 4 tickets. Great flights, decent food.

this is what a travel agent can do for you.

There have been numerous reports of their potential financial insolvency. It’d be horrible to book on a flight that might get canceled if the company goes out of business.
They have secured a $350MM funding from a Norwegian investor. Their problem was, they expanded too fast. I think they are consolidating now and focusing on profitable routes.

Their transatlantic routes in the summer are - in fact - their big money makers.

We have flown from EWR to BCN twice since 2014. Norwegian was really good when we flew with them nonstop in September 2017. We got such great airfare that we upgraded our seats to premium for the overnight flight, but coach looked pretty decent.

For our very first trip to Europe in 2014, we mistakenly booked coach on Air Canada Rouge. The.worst.flights.ever. Air Canada in general was great from our past experience. Rouge was awful. We have never been so cramped in coach seats like we were on that Rouge flight.

We flew last year direct from Charlotte to BCN and the tickets were 1/3 the cost of the cruise for two adults and a direct flight. We could have saved close to $800 on the flights if we went from Charlotte to New York and then New York to Barcelona but it would have gone from around an 11 hour flight into a 26+ hour trip. Since we would have had to leave Charlotte around 8am and then not leave NY until 9 or 10 pm and arrive in Barcelona around 11am. I don't do well sitting around an airport for any length of time so sitting in NY for 8 to 10 hours was not really an option.

As others have said; your best bet would be to try and check other airports that are close or you are willing to drive to and compare costs. Also you will find that the airlines post their international fares about 7 months out. So if you are not flying until next May; you won't see fares and flights posted until November for that time frame.

Psy

Our flights last year to Barcelona definitely were not cheap. I also hate sitting around airports due to connections so ended up paying for a direct flight out of Chicago O'Hare on American Airlines. I researched flight prices myself and then contacted DCL and their price ended up being about the same so I ended up booking through DCL because of some of their travel protections, etc.

I do know that after I booked I heard some other people got better deals on AA out of Newark and flew there first if they lived in other parts of the country.

wow flights sure have gone up. We booked through a not well known website and it was $650 R/T for the 4 of us back in 2017. Now I did include my flights in my non dcl travel insurance because it was a website I'd never heard of. But once I booked the flights, I confirmed with the airlines (AA) that we actually had the seats we had chosen and they were valid both ways. AA used British Airways planes on our way back thru Heathrow. We also didnt buy our flights till about 6 months out from our cruise. We flew out of Denver to Chicago O'Hare to BCN. Coming back it was BCN to Heathrow to Denver. I wasnt willing to pay over 1K for direct flights from Denver and they are far and few

You can always go to skyscanner website and look at what they have. Norwegian was best for us, BCN to FLL $297.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter