Food is not up to par in some restaurants at Disney World now

We were at Disney about six weeks ago and found the food generally okay. We did mostly mobile ordering and brought the food back to Copper Creek. My one complaint was the pack up of the food. If my local tiny Mexican place can put food in divided containers, then so can the restaurants at WDW. It was so unappetizing to to receive food thrown into a brown cardboard box with sauces leaking and having to scrape the bottom!
I saw a youtube video of people getting food from Fort Wilderness and it was the same way...such sloppy presentation! One of their boxes was biscuits with gravy just poured inside the box instead of in a sealed container. Looked horrible. I wonder if this is a Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge thing or if it is common across property?

We are here now and went to Kona for our 3rd time ever. We actually weren't wowed the first 2 visits but this time it was a really good lunch and we left out of there stuffed. I just wish they would update that place in the renovations they are doing. And close it off more so it doesn't feel like a cafeteria.

Went to Narcoossees for the 1st time and it also was really good food. But lots of loud kids in there and even some running around. Made it not feel like much of a signature.

Went to Biergarten and that was fantastic. Enjoyed the family style and not having to get up for the buffet.. lol. The food was delish and we also left there stuffed.

Also had a lunch at Spice Road Table and there the menu was cut back but the food we did get was really good.

I have found it to be the best food and service in many many years. Have Yak and Yeti and Topolinos still to go to and figure they too will be tip top.

What was missing from Spice Road if I may ask? We have a dinner tomorrow night there and it would be our first time-if it's lacking we may cancel-there's too many other places to go, lol.

We have a lunch at Kona also, what was good there? I love reading recent experiences.

thanks!

I saw a youtube video of people getting food from Fort Wilderness and it was the same way...such sloppy presentation! One of their boxes was biscuits with gravy just poured inside the box instead of in a sealed container. Looked horrible. I wonder if this is a Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge thing or if it is common across property?

I haven't been since WDW reopened, but on previous visits when we've ordered "to go" for example, Captain Hook's, our food was in a brown Kraft paper box and IIRC, there wasn't even paper or any kind of liner put in the box, just the food directly in contact with the box itself. Unappetizing but the food was still good.

Paper boxes are more sustainable than plastic/styrofoam, but you’d think there are divided paper takeout boxes and that they could have wax paper if needed on the bottom.

I can't remember but aren't the boxes lined with something? Its not just plain cardboard boxes with food in it is it? It always looked shiny to me like it has something on it to "water proof" it.

I can't remember but aren't the boxes lined with something? Its not just plain cardboard boxes with food in it is it? It always looked shiny to me like it has something on it to "water proof" it.

The pictures I have seen look very much like the boxes at places like Whole Foods with hot food bars (obviously pre-COVID).Yes, those have a coating on the inside.

The biggest disappointments were the Wave breakfast and Liberty Tree thanksgiving dinner. We always loved the wave but this time the food was awful. Liberty was pretty bad too and I like stouffers and previous meals there. On the other hand, lots of good places too. Wolf Gang Puck had the best 4 course thanksgiving dinner I have ever had. Boathouse was perfect and of course polite pig is as good as ever.
The good chefs probably had to go back to their home countries. Food quality always is dependent on the chefs

This is a worry of mine that Disney dining is not going to be the same anymore with all the chefs and staff gone.

New people will replace them and even the OP said while a couple places were bad others were good. This is no different than normal. If you watch the DIS dining show fairly often in the past they will talk about the eb and flow of restaurants.

Not to worried be there in just over a month.

The wave got our order wrong but we didn't say anything. Eggs tasted icky, waffles tasteless, not quality coffee. We have always liked the wave but just inedible this time. Go to Garden Grove in the
Swan instead. Every single thing is cooked perfectly.

Even before the pandemic, I found that the quality varied a lot between different visits to some of the same restaurants.
We have been going to WDW for decades and I noticed the first change was when WDW first started offering free DP. The restaurants that we went to that rarely had any bad meals, now they became more hit or miss. The consistency is what has gone away.

What was missing from Spice Road if I may ask? We have a dinner tomorrow night there and it would be our first time-if it's lacking we may cancel-there's too many other places to go, lol.

We have a lunch at Kona also, what was good there? I love reading recent experiences.

thanks!
So the past trips to Spice Road we would get like multiple small plates (or apps) and share. They didn't seem to have a lot. They had hummus fries and olives and spicy shrimp. Cant recall what was missing...grape leaves thing in laws loved and something else. Entrees...don't know. Look up menu and if you like it, go. But we found it the most limited of all the places we went to. DH got the lamb sliders and I got the spicy shrimp and olives and hummus apps for my meal. Just wasn't thrilled with entree choices. So best to look at the menu and see if it is appealing.

Kona... the stir fry was good. The wings app was good. Dumplings were off...like one big pie instead of separate dumplings. Dd had the ramen...whatever they call it there with pork belly. Was good. And, of course, the bread pudding dessert. Ahhhhhhh.

Last edited:
Across property. They seem to all be using the same containers which are just a coated brown cardboard box with everything piled up inside.

We have been going to WDW for decades and I noticed the first change was when WDW first started offering free DP. The restaurants that we went to that rarely had any bad meals, now they became more hit or miss. The consistency is what has gone away.

One upside of the DP gone that possibly changes will come since they can't bank on lemmings walking through the door needing to blow credits to "get their moneys worth".

I am not insulting anyone its just the nature of the program that it gets many (including me) slightly in that mindset of get the most out of the program instead of going based on food and what has a good deal on a specific meal.

I agree... what if I refuse the seating at Horseshoe and wait For LT seating?
Can I cancel & not be charged as a No Show since I plan to “wait” and they probably will not accept that. Is there pleasant piano music in the Horseshoe as you dine for atmosphere? Anything to make the experience more “ appetizing” like free desert...haha

You can always check into your meal and let them know you changed your mind, are tired and want to go rest at the room, or just not hungry. They’ll check you in and then clear your spot for you. No fees charged. We have done it a few times.

Topolino's dinner our last night there (Dec 1st) was a tad underwhelming. They too have an abbreviated menu. Was looking forward to the cheese cart thing and they did not have that. We were not super hungry thanks to our lunch at Yak and Yeti. That was a good thing because portions at Topolino's are teeny tiny. Everything was good but just small and pricey. Didn't feel much like a signature either. Other than a fancy light (big glass design in ceiling) it was rather bare and plain. Our table was just wood and no decor or table clothes. One server, not a pair (but I guess that has to do with the times of Covid....and Narcoossees was the same, just one). The 3 of us shared a chocolate lava cake thing but it too was teeny tiny and not easily shareable but like 2 bites.

Here now, last day of our 11 day trip. Ate at the wave for the first time for dinner. It was fine but nothing spectacular. Bacon and eggs was solid, pork tenderloin was cooked perfect but completely lacking seasoning. I feel they relied on the bbq sauce for the flavor but I wasn't a fan of it, tasted like sweet baby ray's basically. Kids chicken was definitely as advertised. It was indeed a grilled chicken breast with absolutely nothing else on it lol. No salt, pepper, nothing. Dunno if they're playing off a healthy vibe or something.

We've ended up eating at Chef Arts Homecomin four times. That place is amazing every time with great service and reasonable prices. Do yourself a favor and sub your side for the Mac and cheese, it's ridiculous. It's said no reservations available every time on the app and every time we walk up and are seated within 10-30 mins. Don't let the no res available scare you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter