For those of you who use portable DVD players on your trip

meb51

Mouseketeer
I've done some searching to find a DVD player that will work for us. It doesn't seem like any of the portable DVD players have consistently good recommendations.

I'm thinking of just getting a cheaper model with a smaller screen at Wal-Mart and carrying the original packaging and receipt with us on our trips in case it breaks down. I know that Wal-Mart is good about exchanging products if there are problems. Do you know if these heat up? Should I be worried about letting the kids hold it in their laps or putting it on the seat between them? (I have 2 children.) I know I could splurge and get a 7 inch screen and one of those travelling cases that can fit between the seats but that makes it considerably more expensive. Has anyone gone the cheap route and were pleased? Anyone gone the cheap route and regretted it?

Also, I have a really basic question. Do you have any problems with the adapter that you put in the cigarette lighter? Will the DVD player run on this for an unlimited amount of time?

My only fear with bringing a hand held smaller DVD player would be that it isn't tied down to anything. If you have to make a quick manuever or god forbid you're in an accident that DVD player now had become a flying weapon in the car. I think that those few extra $$$ you'll have peace of mind of not injuring anybody in your car.

We have both a VCR player and a DVD player...IMO the VCR player is better. The one we have can be tied between the two front seats and secured, the DVD is hand held. It seems like the VCR player is sturdier too. The only problem is what do you have more of VCR tapes or DVD'S
The VCR player is cheaper, and so are the tapes. We have been very happy with ours, we leave it in the truck all the time, we just unplug it from the cig lighter so we don't drain the battery.

Tracy

For our last family vacation my DH had to bring his laptop anyway so we used it to watch DVD's. If you have one this might work and will save you the $$ of buying a DVD player. He was worried about it heating up though - not about it being too hot for the kids - but because if it gets too hot it could damage the computer.

I am planning on getting a TV/DVD combo,it's a 9" TV and DVD player all in one.They run around $270. and I just bought a bag at Target that holds it between the front seats for $20.We'll be able to use it in the camper also.

I wish I did have a laptop but unfortunately do not. I have looked at the bags to hold the portable DVD players but am not near a Target. I couldn't find them on Target.com. Papopup, have you decided which DVD player to get? Thanks everyone for their input. The safety issue, of course, is a concern so I know I would be better off getting the bag to hang between the seats.

BE CAREFULL OF THE HEAT!!

I left my DVD player in the car and it was about 95 deg. outside, and it broke the LCD screen. Make sure not to leave it in hot areas.

I have the Mintek with a 7" screen. Bought here in Canada so I can't give you a real price, but it was cheap compared to most. It does heat up some, but not enough to disturb the 5 yo holding it.

We bought the hand held DVD player cheapie from Circuit City for our then 4yr DD. She did great with it. Held it on her lap, and could see it clearly. Small ones like that would be hard to see if we had draped it between the front seats. I too was worried about a flying weapon. But given all of the soda cans, toys in backseat etc, we already had plenty of flying objects. When she wasn't using it we put it in an old padded camera case. We were surprised that she only watched two movies on the 16 hour trip.
Good luck!

We bought a VCR travel thing when Kmart went out of business here for CHEAP. It was the best buy we have ever made! Makes trips much less painful! We've had no problems with it. It is a Audiovox with the small flip up screen. Has two headphones holes, too. Circuit City awhiel back had a portable DVD player on sale for cheap, too. Can't remember the price, but it was cheap enough I almost thought about buying it, too. I's look around for the best deal. Godo luck.

One good way to research them is to use amazon.com, even if you don't buy it there, their ratings and reviews are pretty helpful. I bought a home DVD player thru them, btw, and it was cheaper than Best Buy and Circuit City, and came with free shipping.

I have purchased a Panasonic DVD-LV70 portable DVD player with a 7" screen. I have used it on airplanes and love it. I bought my unit on Ebay brand new with a second brand new battery for $400. A single battery has a full 5 hour play time.

I have also found a place online that rents portable DVD players with the car supension kit and everything for $140 for 10 days and return shipping is included.

http://www.portabledvdrentals.com

So there are several routes to take and some involve less of an investment then others.

I have a high end Panasonic one...and love it!!! Brought it to Disney and we flew..It helped in the morning when mom and dad were trying to get ready and the kids wern't haappy

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. We have a tv/vcr that had an adapter that could be plugged into the cigarette lighter. (We're not using it in the car on this trip because it is very heavy and bulky and difficult to secure.) I wonder what the chances are that this adapter would work with a portable dvd player like a Panasonic. I notice that Panasonic DVD players don't come with the adapters like other brands do but they are often rated more highly. Are adapter pretty standard or would I be able to puchase one specifically for a Panasonic if I decided to do that? I appreciate all your input.

Panasonic has adapters available to purchase seperate. A tv requires more voltage to run then a portable dvd player. so i would want to quess that it will not work. in the car the invertor takes 12 volt DC and turns it into 120 volt AC.

Of course like most things in life, you'll find it cheaper on eBay then direct from the manufacturer.

I bought a Sharp 9" dvd player for my dh 3 years ago. My son (7) loves it. He is the primary user. We use it for flights and long drives. I have never had a problem with it! My son is very responsible with the dvds and the player. We purchased a cigarette lighter re-charger (you can get them at Radio Shack), in lieu of another battery (it was much cheaper). 3 years ago, I paid $449 for the dvd player and $50 for the adapter. The battery was going for $249! It is an excellent machine with every bell and whistle you can image. I got it on Costco.com - one of the best things I ever bought..... :bounce:

meb51,I'm planning on getting a Toshiba,probably at Best Buy unless I find it on sale anywhere for a better price.I have not seen the 9" TV/DVD combo go on sale but am hopeful they will before our trip.You can pick up the 9" TV/VCR combo for about half the price and it seems they are on sale everywhere.I have seen the bags at JC Whitney,item #AAC477217Y for $45. and was planning on getting that until I found them at our locl Target.

We were debating about a portable DVD player, but I was never happy with the teeny-tiny screen. Then we thought about a player that we could run through the laptop (larger screen). We ended up with a new laptop that plays DVD's (and MP3s). We just about always take our laptop with us anyway for games and such. My only real objection is that ours (HP Pavillion) only has about 2 hrs. of battery, and it's an internal battery.

Store your portable player and your media in an empty ice chest when you have to leave them in a hot car, or in the car trunk. Be sure to close the lid securely. The insulation of the chest will protect the tapes, etc. from the heat of the car interior. Hiding them away also deflects thieves, as most people won't break a window just for an ice chest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter