For those who go at least once a year????

Video-There is nothing I can do about this. Hubby will shoot video of anything and everything. I just go with the flow. But hey, as long as I don't have to lug the thing around, who cares.

Pics-Every year I buy a new WDW photo album to put all our pics in and I always take about 10-12 rolls of film but now I am getting pictures of the same things and running out of things to shoot. So I have decided that this next trip I am going to take a lot of pics of us. My kids and DD's friend accompanying us and hubby and I will take pics of each other and you can always find a kind soul willing to snap a pic of the whole family together so that is what I am planning. I will take less film and buy a smaller album.

Souvenirs-I swear that my kids have one of EVERYTHING. The first year I went hog wild buying anything and everything their little dearhearts desired (I think they slip something in the food), the second year was not much better and after that it's gradually decreased. Well this year We've decided to let the kids do their traditional pin buying and then let them pick out one big thing. But I have also decided to purchase a crystal with my kids engraved inside of it and also the giant animated posters (the ones where they add your image into it that way I can hang them in their bedrooms. Hope I can stick to my plan!

Except for last year when we took my niece and nephews for the first time, we don't bother with a camera. We do/have bought the souvenir photos from the rides with the special frames. This year my dd and I are going alone (that'll be nice but weird) so we plan to get our pix done by the photogs at each park in front of the various landmarks instead of the ride photos.

For general souvenirs, I tell dd she has $x to spend... whether she wants several small, one large, whatever it's up to her. She tends to get one small plush and various clothing (sundress with abstract Mickey head) or jewelry. I buy "house stuff"... over the years, I've transformed my kitchen, bathroom, etc. with drawer pulls, clothes hooks, snack plates, glasses, you get the idea.

Some of the odder things I've done that turned out really cute...

bought the plastic road signs at Test Track... they are hanging above my shower/tub (the one with the Mickey curtain and Mickey head curtain holders)

also in the bath, I bought the red and black Mickey heads that you put inside the tub to prevent slipping, my tub is made with anti-slip surface so I stuck the Mickey heads to plain white wall surrounding the shower... kinda looks like Mickey polka-dots

4 years ago, I bought 3 keychain pen-lights for niece and nephews, for some reason the batteries were dead by the time we got home (something must have turned them on in my suitcase, I dunno), I decided not to give the kids lights that wouldn't work and hung onto them (don't ask me why, I have no idea)... when I moved to my new house I had a lot of ceiling fans, I ended up hanging the penlights from the ceiling fan chains and now I have character pulls for my fans

Here's an idea for those that like to sew. My brother is a fireman and collects T-shirts from fire companies all over the US (yep, mom got him a Reedy Creek shirt and shirt from MK firestation)... anyway, he has too many to wear, Mom's taking several of the shirts and making a quilt out of them for him

I have a very small (smaller than a loaf of bread) photo printer (an HP Photosmart 100) that I bring with us and set up in our room. It doesn't need a computer - it prints 4X6" borderless prints directly from my digital camera's memory card. Each day I print my photos and mail some of them as postcards. I can make as many reprints as I need right on the spot.

I don't take nearly as many photos these days as I used to. I already have 9000 photos of the TOT and the HM at night. Now I mostly take the family and people we're travelling with.

This year's August trip will be a bit different. My daughter's competition dance team is performing on the Tomorrowland Stage as part of the Magic Music Days program. So about 70 people from the studio are staying at the same building at the CBR. I'm sure that I'll be making reprints to give away like mad!

The studio did this once before in 2000, and we all had a blast. It's kind of cool to walk out of your room and see alll these people you know, and you're always hanging out with friends.

I've mostly switched to a digital camera for our trips...I have photo albums full of WDW pictures. I still take a couple of rolls of regular film per trip, mostly of DS. As mentioned previously, I also like to see how much he has changed and grown from trip to trip. I get photo cds made of my digital pictures.

We take the camcorder but only tape new things. We were at WDW in January and taped the 100 years of magic parades. We did not take the camcorder on our trip a couple of weeks ago.

I'm a pin freak, so most of what I buy for myself are pins. I also have a Disney-themed kitchen, so I usually pick up a piece or two for that. DS and DH get new tee shirts, and my husband likes to buy Disney polo shirts and ties.

We go often, but because we do I really think we spend much less per trip than the average visitor. That's how I justify it, anyway. :cool:

mmorizio -

I am a dance studio owner/instructor & have occassionally thought about taking students for the Magic Music Days.

If you can give me some info:

Did you do fundraising for it?
Approximate cost per student?
Accommodations?
How long?
How many chaperones per student?
Was it a competition?
Was it worth it?
Do you always go in summer?

Occassionally I get information about it but never follow through because I don't know anyone who has gone. I'd love to hear more about it.

We have been going at least once a year since '98.
Always take lots of pictures!:D 8 to 12 rolls per trip.
always do what we refer as our own "tradition" pictures:
One of DD and our dog just before we leave for the airport!
One of DD in the car arriving at the resort.
One of DD next to the bronze Pluto statue in front of the castle in MK.
One of all 3 of us in front of the fountain at Epcot.
These are the ones that we always pull out to "compare"!!
Also make sure we take some pictures with lots of the sky in it!....this way we can remember what the weather was like.

Then we always plan something new to do....so lots of pictures of that....this June it was the Luau at Poly.
and we always try for those goofy family shots.....like DD and DH just getting off of Kali River Rapids....SOAKING WET!! We really laugh at that one!

I used to try for the perfect "castle" shot....but that just will never happen....cause all the pictures of the castle are great!

We used the video camera the first couple times, but now just feel it is too much trouble.

As for souvenirs....always a Chrismas ornament. I remember that was the only thing I really cherished from my first trip back in 1984!! My Minnie ornament! So have to get that!!:D

I also get something new for the kitchen. This last time...it was utensils and towels. When we go in Oct ....it will either be the silver tea pot or the cannisters. I always have something to look forward to.
For my DD it is always a new stuffed animal....I won't have to worry about any duplicats on that!!LOL There will always be too many characters to choose from!

This is a great thread....lots of great ideas!!
Thanks everyone!! :D

Melsmice:

I've tried to answer your questions about Magic Music Days below. My wife and I are just parents but on both of the trips, we acted as the liason between the studio and WDW, and made all of the arraingements. I also made the photos and audition videos that Disney required.

Did you do fundraising for it?
The studio held an optional fundraiser both in 2000 and for this trip. I'd guess that about half the families participated, but since all of the families go, each one pays for its room(s) and park passes.

Approximate cost per student?
Hard to say, because we (all of the families) go as well as the dancers. This August the group will be 71 people, including the 19 dancers in the studio's competition team & 4 teachers. We got a discounted rate on the rooms.

Each dancer is entitled to buy a 5-day park hopper plus at about half price, and one chaperone per each 5 dancers can purchase one as well.

The studio owner got 2 free park hopper plus passes, and all the rest of us were offered slightly discounted (about 10%) 5, 4, or 3-day park hopper plus passes.

Accommodations?
How long?
WDW requires you to stay a minimum of 4 nights in a value or moderate resort (we picked CBR both times).

How many chaperones per student?
I don't know what Disney's requirement is.

Was it a competition?
No. WDW will schedule a 30 min performance for your group sometime during your 4-day stay. For dance troups it's usually on the Tomorrowland stage.
The is and optional dance workshop that you can do as well (about $20 per dancer, I think a 16 dancer minimum). Our kids did it in 2000 and thought it was wonderful.

Was it worth it?
Yes. Even the un-Disney parents said they had a good time, and the kids loved it. When the studio owner said she wanted to go again this year, it was an easy sell.

Do you always go in summer?
Both trips were/are the first week of August.

My daughter (Then 15), wrote a TR of the 2000 trip. It contains detailed descriptions of the performance and the workshop. It's posted on MousePlanet. Here's a link:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip.rpt/report_files/wdwtr00/morizio00.htm

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter