Fort Wilderness with ASD child?

AnnR

Mouseketeer
I am traveling to Disney in May along with my parents, brother and his 3 kids, brother, sister-in-law and their 3 kids one of whom is Autistic. I thought the cabins at Fort Wilderness might work out since we only would need 3 and it would give my autistic nephew room to run and a seperate bedroom area to sleep since he needs it quiet and dark. Has anyone stayed here? I am alittle concerned that it is spread out and might take a while to get to the pool or the playground (2 things he enjoys). Does anyone have any recomendations for resorts? By the way, the oldest child is 10 all others are younger!

You can always specify in your reservation that you'd prefer to be near the pool and playground. Let them know the reason why you'd like this.

CRO can be very helpful in getting those needs taken care of for you.

Suzanne

You should request the 2500 loop for the cabins. This is a small loop that is right next to the pool. It is near a bus stop, also. You might want to look into renting a golf cart, also. Post this over on the camping board and you will get lots of advice. The cabins are great and should be just what you need.

I stayed in a cabin with my then 7 year old autistic son - as a previous poster mentioned, be sure to request "close to pool & playground" when you book the reservation because you have special needs/autistic child. My memory is that we were in cabin 2526, and per my request, we were close to the pool and the bus stop.

The neat part was that we arrived later than planned....when I checked in I was a little nervous that our request wouldn't be fulfilled.....but when the guest services rep checked his computer, he said, "oh, one of Mickey's special friends is staying with us.....I tried to give this cabin to someone earlier, but Mickey said, no, no"....It really started the vacation off right! :)

My son also loved the pool at POFQ this past summer. Good luck with your planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter