Free dining in the fall?

Will you take advantage of free dining this year?

• Yes

Votes: 68 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I already know. DW is about to learn.

I'm already practicing the conversation we are going to have on Dec 26th at 11 AM standing in front of Peter Pan. "remember when I said....."

Thanksgiving isn't too bad. I've never been in the parks on the actual day, but the preceding days, and the weekend after we were pleasantly surprised. That's when we went last year.

I'll add one more: "That crappy hotel that now says "condo", is still the same crappy hotel it was yesterday"

Amen, homie

FD is definitely a shell game.

I have definitive proof from planning our upcoming trip over Christmas.

When priced out on Disney's site, total package was $4500, no dining.

When I reached out to an infamous TA, total package was $3300, no dining, $4500, with dining.

So, I could have moved our trip to start on the 21st, if thats going to be the last day of FD again this year, and hold out for FD, but I'd pay $4500, and probably even more since sometimes you have to upgrade to a preferred room.

Disney could just offer the package for $3300 without dining, like the TA was able to do, but no, they force you into FD, and everyone celebrates.....
Well I could see how you could think this, but I know that if you have two or more people in the room and have the offer for 15 percent discount for a value as opposed to free dining for more than one person. I think free dining is the way to go. Our room price is about 160 a night with everybody in the room. But free dining is almost 130 a day per person. So that makes the room 30 bucks a night. Uhhh no brainer there. But with a mod, I think still would be a good value, now the delux, I would probably take the 25 percent room discount and eat out of pocket. So its all how you look at it.

Well I could see how you could think this, but I know that if you have two or more people in the room and have the offer for 15 percent discount for a value as opposed to free dining for more than one person. I think free dining is the way to go. Our room price is about 160 a night with everybody in the room. But free dining is almost 130 a day per person. So that makes the room 30 bucks a night. Uhhh no brainer there. But with a mod, I think still would be a good value, now the delux, I would probably take the 25 percent room discount and eat out of pocket. So its all how you look at it.

I'm just making the point that you can get your FD price now if you go out there and look. That $4500 FD price, which at best would be what I would pay for it if its offered Dec 21 again, I can go ahead and have today. Or, I have the option of a 25% discount. And pay OOP the exact price of the DDP.

DW has wanted to do a Christmas trip ever since we had our first little one almost 9 years ago. Growing up in Central FL, we were taught two things, 1) You don't want what they are selling on OBT and 2) don't go to Disney over Christmas.

However, the stars aligned this year, and we are taking the plunge.

Subconsciously, maybe I'm hoping it breaks the WDW addiction. Once I see the IASW wait at 90 mins, I'm sure it will do the trick. :)

I have gone for Xmas the past 2 years after telling myself for years that "locals don't go to Disney on Xmas". The first year, I found it a bit scary. This past year, however, I found it rather pleasant.

Honestly...and I'm not trying to bring you down...you're gonna hate it.

Meh, see above. I thought it was going to be insane and it actually was pretty tolerable.

...that being said...and this is huge stretch for me...we might try thanksgiving.

October is ridiculous anymore and I can't stand jersey week...it's been ruined by...well...jersey. And an unnecessary run Disney event.

I am thinking Thanksgiving as well. I enjoyed Xmas, but I enjoyed the OFFERINGS at Xmas. I enjoyed the additional shows, the different menus, the atmosphere, I enjoyed what they do for the holidays vs the holidays themselves so I think this year we're going to try Thanksgiving.

September/October used to be my "go-to" months, especially around Labor Day.

I'm just making the point that you can get your FD price now if you go out there and look. That $4500 FD price, which at best would be what I would pay for it if its offered Dec 21 again, I can go ahead and have today. Or, I have the option of a 25% discount. And pay OOP the exact price of the DDP.
I totally understand that. I think im going to be on the lookout for the cheapest week for room rates and just do out of pocket one year and see what happens.

Meh, see above. I thought it was going to be insane and it actually was pretty tolerable.

This gives me some hope. And perhaps with Christmas being on Monday, might help keep it down?

Not sure why, but I'm just floating it out there anyway.

This gives me some hope. And perhaps with Christmas being on Monday, might help keep it down?

Not sure why, but I'm just floating it out there anyway.

I think there were a lot of factors this year and I think one of them was the placement of the holiday this year. It seemed to me that the huge crowds happened AFTER we left. So, since it is a Monday, it is possible people will choose to spend Christmas at home and then show up for the Christmas-New Years week, which then leads into Marathon week instead of arriving prior to Christmas. Think about it, you get a 2 week vacation for only 8 working days.

I am thinking Thanksgiving as well. I enjoyed Xmas, but I enjoyed the OFFERINGS at Xmas. I enjoyed the additional shows, the different menus, the atmosphere, I enjoyed what they do for the holidays vs the holidays themselves so I think this year we're going to try Thanksgiving.

That's why we go the second/third week of December - all the Christmas stuff with a fraction of the crowds. We don't travel with kids, though, so don't need to worry about school schedules.
A couple years ago we were a bit late and were there until the 22nd. It was so crowded you could barely move.

I've heard from some sources that we might hear sooner than later about fall promotions, seeing how some of the sales end March 5 that are currently going on? Any thoughts?

I've heard from some sources that we might hear sooner than later about fall promotions, seeing how some of the sales end March 5 that are currently going on? Any thoughts?

I kinda feel the notice on promotions has started to reflect on demand. If there's good demand, they don't release promotions until last minute and then they make those promotions so limited that it's hard to apply it to existing bookings. If demand is low, there's about a 100 day notice to entice bookings, but give people a chance to pay the deposit and then the 45 day balance.

Right now, I think you're going to deals until the end of Labor Day coming out

So if I want free dining when it comes out, should I book a room and dining package and add free dining when it comes out or should I just book a room and add free dining?

So if I want free dining when it comes out, should I book a room and dining package and add free dining when it comes out or should I just book a room and add free dining?

You only need to book that if you plan to keep the reservation if free dining doesn't pan out for you.

They don't actually "add" it to your reservation. They rebook for you, but keep the reservation number the same, so it just appears to have been "added". It's still subject to availability. Having a reservation already does not give you any sort of leg up.

I always thought so...

But as the Material Girl said earlier in the thread: if you're gonna go anyway it might be ok to hedge your bet.

Oh sure, if you are wanting that room no matter what. But having the room booked doesn't mean you're guaranteed the discount. It's also possible that Disney won't include a resort or room category if it's already heavily booked at rack rate. So booking ahead might also work against getting a discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter