• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free dining in the fall?

Will you take advantage of free dining this year?

• Yes

Votes: 68 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I kinda feel the notice on promotions has started to reflect on demand. If there's good demand, they don't release promotions until last minute and then they make those promotions so limited that it's hard to apply it to existing bookings. If demand is low, there's about a 100 day notice to entice bookings, but give people a chance to pay the deposit and then the 45 day balance.

Right now, I think you're going to deals until the end of Labor Day coming out

See, that illustrates my point above. If resorts are booking at rack rate, "good demand", Disney (or any company for that matter) have no reason to offer discounts or promotions. Low demand & fewer bookings means more discounts. Disney doesn't release it's discounts to benefit people who have already booked. They may let you apply them to current reservations, but they really want the discounts to encourage new bookings.

Last edited:
If I want to go, I book, not based necessarily on what special offer is available. If there is something that lines up, or something I can rebook later for the same, or another resort I really want, I would do that. For instance: Currently, I am booked at POFQ for end of October time. I know that USUALLY POFQ is not included in FD offers, but sometimes ARE included in Annual Passholder or General room discounts. For me, the only way I will change my current booking is if I could get FD and it would make a Deluxe work for us (not likely as FD is not usually not offered for our dates) or if an AP or General room only discount would make the same upgrade affordable for us. I know that there will not be an automatic conversion of my reservation to any of these offers, and I will need to cancel my current resv and rebook. BUT, we do plan to still go, and stay with our current reservation if nothing else works discount-wise.

Booking a reservation with the idea that it will qualify for a future special offer is not the way it works...if there are rooms available for the special offer, they rebook your reservation - but keep your same reservation number. But even if you are booked in a resort that is included, and there is no availability for the special offer, then you will not be able to take advantage of that special offer at that resort...maybe a different room class or a different resort, but not necessarily your original booking.

I'm booked for the end of September! Hoping for free dining! I had my trip booked since last year because I had to cancel last years so just moved the deposit over to a new ressie for this year!

booked as now for nov 29-dec8th. I can change days here and there if I need to. If free dining pops up. I have how much I can spend extra to get the dining and consider it as worth it. I do not know how to change it. The place I am going through said its easy just contact them. I do have Disney visa debit card so don't we sometimes get early openings?

booked as now for nov 29-dec8th. I can change days here and there if I need to. If free dining pops up. I have how much I can spend extra to get the dining and consider it as worth it. I do not know how to change it. The place I am going through said its easy just contact them. I do have Disney visa debit card so don't we sometimes get early openings?
Sometimes yes but I believe last year it was released to everyone at once.

All but a few days of October were blacked out from the free dining promotion last year.
There were lots of unhappy campers last year as the number of rooms allocated for free dining was limited. Also, the free dining offer went up on the WDW website around 2:00 to 3:00 am so by the time everyone started checking at 7:00 am when Central Reservations opened, there weren't many resorts left to choose from (if any).

This was so true, I always book POP with FD and last year our week was completely booked for FD in September, never seen that before. Was on at my usual time to. I'm not counting on much availability this year based on the bounceback but we will see next month.

I always usually miss it because I have to go end of July, beginning of August. It would be nice to see one but I am not betting on it.
But, if I can't pay rack rate I guess I shouldn't go. Keeping my fingers crossed for offers for everyone.

The bounce back for free dining 2017 didn't include much of September (usually includes all of sept) I belive you had to check in by sept 10 2017. The bounce back is usually the same as the free dining general offer.

We are booked 9/1-9/10 at CBR. We are hoping for free dinning if not oh well. We are still going with or without FD. Our flights are booked also.

Oh sure, if you are wanting that room no matter what. But having the room booked doesn't mean you're guaranteed the discount. It's also possible that Disney won't include a resort or room category if it's already heavily booked at rack rate. So booking ahead might also work against getting a discount.

I never book unless I am going no matter the discount, and only if my dates are set in stone. If my visit depends on a discount, I think booking JIC is silly, and wish people would stop doing that. I know that Disney has folks locked in little closet crunching numbers who probably can predict how many of these "speculation" room are just that..booked in hopes of discounts, but they also can probably predict how many will end up keeping the booking without a discount added. Either way, I think that these phantom bookings help Disney to keep discounts to a minimum.

I never book unless I am going no matter the discount, and only if my dates are set in stone. If my visit depends on a discount, I think booking JIC is silly, and wish people would stop doing that. I know that Disney has folks locked in little closet crunching numbers who probably can predict how many of these "speculation" room are just that..booked in hopes of discounts, but they also can probably predict how many will end up keeping the booking without a discount added. Either way, I think that these phantom bookings help Disney to keep discounts to a minimum.
I've heard the same thing. But...if you are going to go no matter what, wouldn't you book your room to make sure you have a room where you want? And yes, if an offer for FD comes up, wouldn't you try to get it, unless you are satisfied with what you have and don't need it.

I've heard the same thing. But...if you are going to go no matter what, wouldn't you book your room to make sure you have a room where you want? And yes, if an offer for FD comes up, wouldn't you try to get it, unless you are satisfied with what you have and don't need it.
This was my thinking. We're going anyway and booking in advance gives us time to pay it off!

I've heard the same thing. But...if you are going to go no matter what, wouldn't you book your room to make sure you have a room where you want? And yes, if an offer for FD comes up, wouldn't you try to get it, unless you are satisfied with what you have and don't need it.[/QUOTE

I always suggest booking if you are sure you are going and your dates are set. WHat I and others have suggested is that booking a room to lock it in when a discount is offered, but knowing that your trip hinges on the discount, is counterproductive.

The bounce back for free dining 2017 didn't include much of September (usually includes all of sept) I belive you had to check in by sept 10 2017. The bounce back is usually the same as the free dining general offer.

It included Sept 1-9 and excluded the remainder of September as well as October and November.

I think that if you book and then say you can only go if FD becomes available maybe you should wait to book. FD is not a guaranteed promo and by everyone booking in hopes of FD then the rooms are being filled and they will not have a need to offer FD, remember FD was never meant to be a permanent promo only meant to be to bring visitors in when SARS was around, if rooms are filling then nothing needed to help that. If you plan to go either way then book.

Waiting on pins and needles too lol but if it doesn't happen or equal the savings. My family may just pay for it as an add-on after doing some math.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter