Free Realms

Update on Free Realms:

Free Realms Launching in April

At a press preview for Free Realms, the upcoming free-to-play casual MMO, Sony Online Entertainment announced that it would be launching the PC version in early April. A PlayStation 3 edition is set for a later launch, likely in Q3 2009. Free Realms targets the youth market, from 10-14, and is looking for a variety of revenue streams, including a $5.99/month subscription for premium content and a tie-in collectible card game from Topps. The PC beta test will begin within "a couple of weeks," associate art director Sebastian Strzalkowski told Eurogamer.

Latest news!! Hopefully someone we know from the DIS has made it into the closed beta :(

Free Realms Head To Closed Beta

Free Realms, the upcoming free-to-play casual MMO from Sony Online Entertainment, has moved into closed beta. The world, targeted as a family friendly virtual world, was originally announced in Summer 2007. Earlier this month Sony announced that it was aiming for a full launch for the PC in April, though it seems like that will actually be the open beta, which Sony is now accepting registrations for. Free Realms is also targeting the launch of a PlayStation 3 edition in Q3 2009. The world will monetize through a mix of microtransactions and retail items, like collectible cards created through a partnership with Topps.

"The beta testing phase is integral to the success of any video game, and we are asking that kids, parents, video game fans of all ages sign up to help us during these final weeks before Free Realms launches," John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment, said in a statement. "Ten years ago, SOE introduced EverQuest, the genre-defining online video game, and this spring, we will introduce Free Realms, a game I believe will expand and enrich the kids' online gaming genre which really shows the rapid evolution of the online game space."

I signed for Beta quite a while ago. Would we just recieve an e-mail if we get in?:)

I still have everyone's names from the PMs and will let folks in when we can. :)

Was I supposed to PM you? I don't recall doing so, but I did sign up for beta as soon as I saw the first post on this thread.

As you can see, we're all excited to be guinea pigs. :laughing:

Okay, signed up for beta today as well. Under the same name as usual, Tigerbella. :)

This looks real interesting so far from the videos!

Kim

I've been hitting the Free Realms site once or twice a day, just to see if anything new has popped up.

I do have a question--I've been really tempted to preorder a box of those Topps cards, but I'd like to know if those are the ones that you can play online (not just redeem for items). Or if you want to play the card game online, do you need to buy a pack of online booster cards? Are the offline cards only offline? Confusing...

The Free Realms site has been updated. Most of the new info, including the paid membership benefits, can be found under "Game" on the top menu.

Anybody here get their Beta invite yet? Still nothing for me.

The Free Realms site has been updated. Most of the new info, including the paid membership benefits, can be found under "Game" on the top menu.

Anybody here get their Beta invite yet? Still nothing for me.

I'll check it out. Nope, no e-mail!:guilty:

Everyone who sent me a PM should have received a PM from me today with some info. If you want in the beta but haven't sent me a PM, feel free to send me one. I need the Station Name you use to sign up for beta, for you and any children you'll be playing with. Thanks!

Thanks so much LaraLyn. The game is very cool. I have tried a few minigames that I was given to play during the tutorial. Love the look of the avatars. :)

Hope to see many other Dis peeps in the game. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter