From Possums to Sea and a Rainy day parade! Sep/Oct 2014

Paula Sedley-Burke

Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...
Hi Everyone

Thanks for reading and welcome. I did not have time to do a PTR sadly but I hope you enjoy reading about our vacation.

Let me introduce myself if you don't know me. My name is Paula and my better half is Jo. We live in Essex a home county that borders London in England. We have been together 17 years, legal civil partners for 7 years and shortly to convert this to full marriage as they passed the law earlier this year for us to do so if we wish. And we do!

This is us on the Disney Dream 2011 on my 40th birthday and our first Disney cruise. This trip included our 4th cruise :-) yes like everything Disney we loved it!
AnimatorsP_zps2c2aab7d.jpg

Jo works hard in IT in London and I am medically retired due to ill health. I am disabled but this doesn't stop me having fun!

We are DVC members and our home resorts are SSR and VGF

We had 2 weeks in glorious Florida in total, 7 wonderful nights at AK Kidani, 3 nights on The Dream ( conceirge for the first time ), 3 nights at the BCV and finally one night at VGF. This was our first night since we purchased an add on and it was my birthday :-)

Although we have been to Florida many times this trip included many firsts for us. But as you all know like snow flakes no two trips to Disney are alike!

Our dates were 18th September 2014 - 2nd October 2014

I look forward to sharing this with you :-)

Welcome Paula, looking forward to your report and happy birthday!

Hi Paula :wave2:

Looking forward to reading! When we got of the Magic in August, we just knew we had to do another Disney cruise, so we are booked for Christmas 2015! We will be at OKW for 8 nights, then we will board the Dream on Christmas eve ( DD's 7th birthday!) for 4 nts and then back to OKW for 2 nts before coming home.
So especially looking forward to the cruise part of your TR and any hints and tips you have :goodvibes

Claire :)

Hi Paula :wave2: Looking forward to reading! When we got of the Magic in August, we just knew we had to do another Disney cruise, so we are booked for Christmas 2015! We will be at OKW for 8 nights, then we will board the Dream on Christmas eve ( DD's 7th birthday!) for 4 nts and then back to OKW for 2 nts before coming home. So especially looking forward to the cruise part of your TR and any hints and tips you have :goodvibes Claire :)
welcome Claire! Oh my what a great trip you have planned. We can't get enough of cruising got another booked for next year! A Christmas cruise sounds glorious. TR please!

Wednesday 17th September

Day - 1

It's the day before our flight! Jo has a half day at work so off she goes excitedly for the morning. She has already kindly packed for us but not loaded the car. Poor Jo does a lot of the caring for us due to my disability and ill health. She also does a stressful senior job. She's like an angel. I would be lost without her. This vacations are precious to us. They release me from thoughts of pain and Jo from stressful work. That Disney Magic just seems to absorb it all!

Next door are taking in our mail whilst away and also kindly feeding our princess fishes ( named after Disney Princesses of course ) so I drop a key around to them.

I check in online with Virgin Atlantic. Double check we have the seats I booked previously at the 60 day window. All good!

We used a different system with ebags cubes for packing this time after a dear friend and diser Pam ( who we meet up with for 2 fun days on this trip ) recommended them to us. They were so fabulous Jo said to order another set and they just arrived in time! They were amazing at saving space and as this was a multi spilt stay they also aided organising our stuff!

After a hearty lunch and some more admin tasks my Jo arrived home. She had a packed lunch on the road I had made her. She then took our dog Huey to his holiday home to his original breeder a kind lady called Barbara. He likes to hang out there with his sister Tiger Lily :-)

This is Huey. He is a shih tzu. Apple of my eye!

HueyLayingDown_zpsc7358f36.jpg

When Jo got back she loaded the car and we headed on out to Gatwick airport. We parked at the short stay at Gatwick super close to Virgin bag drop. This is great as the airport allow disabled folks to park at this premium parking bay for regular rates.

Virgin Atlantic operate a twilight bag drop for flights the next day. Very handy so in the morning you can just go to your gate with just hand luggage.

After the bags had been dropped off we went to the special needs counter ( always dubious about that title lol ) and got a security label for my scooter Jessie ( named after Toy Story). That gets dropped off at the gate. I love to see her unload at the other side as she is a life saver for me!

Then we went back to the car and did our favourite routine of a McDonalds dinner. Yum! Never disappoints. I am the opposite of a vegetarian :-) poor Pam spending time with me!

We then went to an Airport hotel which was excellent for a silly price and watched The Great British Bake Off :-)

It's hard to sleep when you are flying to Orlando the next day! But we did dreaming of our upcoming adventures!

I am in. Can't wait to read all about this trip. Sounds like your day 0 went very smoothly. Huey is such a cutie.

Corinna

Look at that cute little Huey! Perfect pose!

Now you know you are very easy to eat with :goodvibes I have no issues with meat eaters, just non planners.

Look at that cute little Huey! Perfect pose! Now you know you are very easy to eat with :goodvibes I have no issues with meat eaters, just non planners.
you are so easy going Pam. A great person to park hop and spend time with!

I'm glad I founf this and I even made the first page! Going back to read.

Thursday September 18th

Flight day

After scoring some light but excited sleep we awoke, had some sugary breakfast and showered and dressed. There was no hurry as we had no bags to check but we like being at the airport anyway :-)

We watched the news for a bit , out the hotel window planes were taking off and landing. I love to watch this. Jo did some last moment work. I heard her get irate at some worker which made me chuckle. She is so super soft with me. But put the CEO hat on and heads roll. I can't believe it's the same person!

Then soft Jo back we head to the car to make our way to South terminal at Gatwick.

We parked at short stay valet parking. I book this in advance. You park, leave your keys with the little reception hut that is there and they park your vehicle for you for length of stay. On return it's waiting for you! No buses or taxis to get! The airport terminal is just a short walk or 0.00000 milage on Jessie across the zebra crossing.

Through security , there is a separate security for disabled and then we are in the main departure hall! Our flight has been delayed for 35 mins. No biggy. With a 5 hour time difference between London and Orlando ( Orlando -5 ) the longer you can stay awake the better!

We looked around the stores, purchased drinks and a few snacks. Then not trusting the airline food we score McDonald's number 2. Can we make a hat trick?

Then it was time to go to the gate! I had my scooter to load yet. We boarded the plane and I waved goodbye to scooter Jessie... Parting is such sweet sorrow...

Our seats were two by ourselves at the back :-)

The plane took off and I watched 2 movies. Million Dollar Arm which I really enjoyed and Blackfish which gave me nightmares and I wish I had never set eyes on. What are VA doing screening such a show on a flight to Orlando! Many folks will have already purchased tickets to Seaworld. A very disturbing documentary that's haunted me since. Jo watched Million Dollar Arm and another movie I forgot the title. How I wish I had lol...I then watched Frozen to calm my nerves...Let it go...

They then served food and forgot my special meal request. As a result they gave me nothing on a 9 hour flight but one roll and jam they begrudgingly got from first class. It was the size of a crumb. Jo was having kittens and beyond annoyed. Lucky I had some haribo in my bag. But this wasn't enough. I was hungry the whole flight!

Then we landed but there was a storm so we could not go to our gate. It was unsafe for the workers was the line we were told because of the lightening. So we were wondering how come we can sit in a metal can with thunder and lightening in an open runway for an hour at the mercy of the gods... We were a little stressed by the time we got to immigration :-)

I have never been so pleased to see the Magical Express! But first close to fainting I had to go to the food court and score some more food! McDonalds number 3...yeah hat trick complete!

I don't even recall eating it! But I felt better after :-) I just know Jo got it and almost fed it to me. Must have looked like feeding time at the San Diego Zoo.

We got to Animal Kingdom late and collapsed. I knew enough to know that the room was beyond gorgeous and it was the same accessible room we stayed in last May :-) it is located on the ground floor at Kidani near reception. Pig in mud!

Jo in our room ...

Yours truly on our room...

Always nice to be greeted with a Mickey :-)

Now if you don't mind we have been awake for too many hours to count... Night night everybody. See you in the morning!

Sorry you had no food and then a delay in the tarmac. At least you got McDonald's a few times. Funny how for you that is heaven whilst for me its like, "must we eat there yet again?????" :rotfl2:

And then you made it to AKV!!!!!!

Sorry you had no food and then a delay in the tarmac. At least you got McDonald's a few times. Funny how for you that is heaven whilst for me its like, "must we eat there yet again?????" :rotfl2: And then you made it to AKV!!!!!!
:-) we were delighted to see AKV possums and all but as you know that's another story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter