Funny Things that Cdns say/do at Disney that make Americans go 'huh?'

The sad looks I get from Americans when I order a hamburger and ask them to make sure its cooked through/well done. I can't remember having a med rare hamburger since I was a kid in the 70s. My American friends just shake their heads as if I'm asking them to nuke a gorgeous, expensive filet mignon. Really not the same. :sad2:

We were down in a southern state once and we were told that "you'all talk too fast"
Judy

Don't ask for utensils in a restaurant. They have no clue what you are talking about.

I'm Michigan born and raised, and I say Yeah..no all the time. I can sound Canadian if I want, probably because the Michigan accent isn't to far off.

I'm an American living in Canada with my husband. The funniest thing that through my husband for a loop was when I referred to his touke as a toboggan because that is what we call them in North Carolina. It took him awhile to figure out what I was talking about, but now he just laughs at me when I call it that.

I found that out for the first time a few years ago while visiting a friend in Alabama. I couldn't believe they were calling a touque a "toboggan" since that's the thing we ride down a snowy hill on while wearing our touques, haha!

**Stumbled onto this thread--total American here though :) For reference I'm in the Midwest**

-----
The only thing I've ever really noticed was the 'you're a Northern' comment when I asked for mustard with my pretzel. Funny part is later in the trip got a pretzel from Germany in Epcot and they gave me mustard without me saying anything.
I LOVE mustard with my pretzel! Now granted a norm usually is cheese sauce but I much prefer mustard and always have.

The sad looks I get from Americans when I order a hamburger and ask them to make sure its cooked through/well done. I can't remember having a med rare hamburger since I was a kid in the 70s. My American friends just shake their heads as if I'm asking them to nuke a gorgeous, expensive filet mignon. Really not the same. :sad2:
99% of the time I want my burger well done (or in some cases restaurants will say "do you want pink or no pink"). I don't like the idea of eating a burger (well I eat cheeseburgers) with pink inside. Steak I usually have medium to medium well but a cheeseburger is well done. FWIW I personally find the medium burger to be more of a regional thing not an American in general thing.

Don't ask for utensils in a restaurant. They have no clue what you are talking about.
I say silverware and utensils interchangably though I probably use silverware more.

For example sometimes I'll say to the waitress/waiter "oh we need utensils {like if our food is coming out and none were on the table already}" or I'll say "oh we need some silverware".

This one comes down to context. Do I want a pink burger from Wendy's - nope. A restaurant that grinds their own meat, no issue.

We were down in a southern state once and we were told that "you'all talk too fast"
Judy

Yep, you get that one almost everywhere but Australia. Canadians are notoriously fast speakers of English.

Through the years I've stumped Americans with words like pissed meaning drunk. Bunnyhug meaning hoodie. Grid meaning dirt road.
A lot of others as well but those are the ones I remember getting funny responses to.
The one American term that bugs me is "standing on line" I always feel like saying no you are not you are standing in line. You yourself are making the line therefore you are in the line. There is no line on the ground for you to stand on. ( I have no clue why that one bugs me lol)

Through the years I've stumped Americans with words like pissed meaning drunk. Bunnyhug meaning hoodie. Grid meaning dirt road.
A lot of others as well but those are the ones I remember getting funny responses to.
The one American term that bugs me is "standing on line" I always feel like saying no you are not you are standing in line. You yourself are making the line therefore you are in the line. There is no line on the ground for you to stand on. ( I have no clue why that one bugs me lol)
People in Ontario won't know what a Bunnyhug is, either, unless they come from out west. They call it a hoodie here.

Ha! I am thoroughly Western US born and raised and I say utensils. I've moved to Tennessee and get funny looks unless I ask for silverware. Regional.
On Line is also regional. I think New York and those environs? Most in the USA say In Line.

I apparently sparked quite the discussion between CMs at the DLH last week when I asked one of them for directions to the washroom.

I have a habit of using my maritime accent (especially when hydrated with a few beer). That is when I use the term "Bud" or "Buddy" when addressing people. Some people don't realise that it is not an insult, but rather a term on endearment. When I travel to Texas to see my brother, everyone is confused that i call Dan ... Bud.

Along the same line (see what i did there :P ) is when they will say "I had to call OUT sick" yeah, no --- we use that phrase as well --- "You had to call IN sick" I've been told that is also a regional this but irks me for some unknown reason!!!

Yep, you get that one almost everywhere but Australia. Canadians are notoriously fast speakers of English.

This made me LOL. I'm from Asia and the first thing I had to learn when I moved to Canada was to slow my speech wayyy down. Took me a while but eventually people were able to understand me!

On my first trip to WDW I was experiencing some nausea and asked a CM in the store at POFQ if they had any gravol. She looked at me like I had two heads and responded, "you mean like the rocks?". Thankfully another guest overheard and explained that I needed Dramamine.

People in Ontario won't know what a Bunnyhug is, either, unless they come from out west. They call it a hoodie here.

I think it's a Sask/Manitoba thing. I'm albertan and we grew up saying hoodie, but a few with parents not born here said bunny hug!

I'm from central BC and I've never heard of a bunnyhug! We call them hoodies, too.

On my first trip to WDW I was experiencing some nausea and asked a CM in the store at POFQ if they had any gravol. She looked at me like I had two heads and responded, "you mean like the rocks?". Thankfully another guest overheard and explained that I needed Dramamine.

Happened to me too last year at First Aid, I went in asking for gravol and she looked at me funny. She asked what it's for and when I told her tummy issues she's all "oh dramamine" and I'm just like "sure, whatever as long as I don't throw up"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter