Galactic Starcruiser Closing Permanently In September!

Agreed. Despite living with two Star Wars addicts, I am not a Star Wars person at all. I would never choose to voluntarily consume any Star Wars content because I don't like it.

BUT--RoTR was hands-down the best theme park experience of any park anywhere that I've ever experienced (says the shame-faced Harry Potter fan who knows that Star Wars beat Harry Potter this time). I don't know how you top it (I guess with something in between RoTR and the Starcruiser???). That ride is phenomenal from beginning to end and it doesn't surprise me at all that it is continuing to draw massive interest despite newer attractions being out. The Tron coaster looks cool, but I can't imagine the experience being anywhere near comparable.
FWIW, my wife hardly knows anything about Star Wars and she loved Galactic Starcruiser. She wanted to go back again, lol. Maybe she was the exception rather than the rule though. We hardly did any role-playing, but I thought it was an excellent experience.

It was really wonderful as it was, so it's probably good that they just shut it down rather than try to do some half-assed version of it.

Well, I called in at 7:00:01 and all phone lines are completely jammed. Still have my fingers crossed, but this is nerve wracking.

I wonder what they will use the building for once it shutters… Probably would require too much training expense to bring the show back for special events now and then…

I wonder what they will use the building for once it shutters… Probably would require too much training expense to bring the show back for special events now and then…
Judging by what D'Amaro said in them upping depreciation on it I'm thinking they are just going to destroy it

Destroying seems like a lot of work for a part of the campus nobody sees. My guess is it mostly sits vacant with some limited purposes as needed for cast facing operations.

Yes it is. We had an unbelievable stroke of good luck and experienced some SERIOUS Disney magic transported through the ethers this morning and were able to book! My husband and son are beyond thrilled. This will be one for the memory books, for sure.

I hope you have an amazing time! I know you will! I wish we could have gone again before it closes. Just couldn't make it work with school, work, and already planned vacation schedules.

Reactions: EmJ
Judging by what D'Amaro said in them upping depreciation on it I'm thinking they are just going to destroy it

I don't think that means they are going to destroy it. Just pull forward the depreciation to improve cash flow right now. Probably because they need cash for the Hulu obligations. Borrowing money is more expensive than it has been in a long time. If fact, it would cost a lot to demolish it too, so I don't see it happening, even if they wanted to do it.

Why I also think the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser is shutting down is that Disney might have plans to move it to Anaheim to be a part of Disneyland. Because when you look at it when Disney has attractions that are weak they simply move it to Anaheim to add to Disneyland. But I think Disney is slowly gonna end their relationship with Lucasfilm and sell it in a few years and start focusing more on Marvel because even with the Star Wars shows The Mandalorian Andor Obi-Wan Kenobi The Book Of Boba Fett and the upcoming Atsoka series debuting in August Star Wars is still the number one hot property of Disney but as I said Marvel is number two. I also think that Disney will turn the Galactic Starcruiser into a military resort just like they turned The Disney Inn into Shades Of Green and it is surprising that there should be another Disney resort for active/retired military families to go along with Shades Of Green. But I do think we will see Disney create another Star Wars resort but this time done the way it's supposed to be done

I doubt they will destroy it, but if they take a full value write-off on the building & development costs as a business loss, then I don't think IRS rules allow them to use the building in a way that generates revenue after that happens. It will almost surely become some sort of backstage facility.

I think WDW probably will salvage most of the themed interior fittings though; those can be used in any SW themed location, such as attractions, restaurants, or themed rooms in normal resorts (start your countdown now for the introduction of SW-themed rooms at a different resort.)

Reactions: EmJ
This is so sad. I would give my left .... pinky to go back one more time. We were planning on going again next year.

I don't think that means they are going to destroy it. Just pull forward the depreciation to improve cash flow right now. Probably because they need cash for the Hulu obligations. Borrowing money is more expensive than it has been in a long time. If fact, it would cost a lot to demolish it too, so I don't see it happening, even if they wanted to do it.

My guess is theyll use it for Cast Members during hurricanes. But it did sound like Josh was leaning towards destroying it.

It's either going to be moved to cast connections and marked 40% off, or sent to the Lakeland Antique Mall and marked 40% up.

I have to wonder if Starcruiser had been built more like Station Cosmos Hotel in Futuroscope in France - lots of theming and immersion but no cosplay and the associated cost - whether it would have survived (and even thrived) - the Space Loop restaurant looks amazing. But other than this extreme immersive experience, it feels like Disney is actually going away from immersion with their hotels.

I have to wonder if Starcruiser had been built more like Station Cosmos Hotel in Futuroscope in France - lots of theming and immersion but no cosplay and the associated cost - whether it would have survived (and even thrived) - the Space Loop restaurant looks amazing. But other than this extreme immersive experience, it feels like Disney is actually going away from immersion with their hotels.

I think it would have done better as just a hotel. I don't think the audience for the cosplay, etc. was ever all that big, expecially when you need a cross-section of people who like that sort of thing AND can afford it. I mean, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and it didn't appeal to me that much. Like, it looked cool and I'm sure I'd have had fun there, but for the price? Nah, not really. A regular hotel would have been more appealing, maybe with an elaborate dinner show or something. Honesty, the push for "immersive" has gone a little too far in my opinion,

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter