Gen Z?

I love the trend of not applying to job postings that don't list a salary range. There's nothing more frustrating than to go through the interview process only to find out the company isn't paying a competitive salary.
Before I got hired at the company I'm at currently, I was doing some hardcore job searching and postings that had no salary posted were ignored. It wasn't worth my time to apply and jump through hoops to be told that the pay was table scraps.

We are actively seeking and hiring in this demographic (Technology Field) - specifically graduates. Based on the focus groups I have done at work, onboarding sessions, and other interactions - I haven’t witnessed some of the behaviors being thrown around. I will see say they tend to be harder to retain as employees than other groups - but there a few variables that impact this as well.
My 28 year old software engineer frequently tells me she wants to quit. She went part-time for 4 months and loved it. She has also taken a one month sabbatical to travel. Being able to live and work from Maui during the pandemic spoiled her a bit! They just made her a group manager so she thinks she will stick it out for another year. Between the stock options and salary she is not hurting for money and thinks it is not her true life's work (but not sure what is her calling).

I want more Gen Z coworkers. We keep hiring people close to retirement. I want our company to invest in a workforce, not just keep hiring through a revolving door.

My 28 year old software engineer frequently tells me she wants to quit. She went part-time for 4 months and loved it. She has also taken a one month sabbatical to travel. Being able to live and work from Maui during the pandemic spoiled her a bit! They just made her a group manager so she thinks she will stick it out for another year. Between the stock options and salary she is not hurting for money and thinks it is not her true life's work (but not sure what is her calling).
I went from electrical and computer engineering to higher ed (media studies), and while I don't teach engineering per se, the discipline I learned in engineering school made getting through grad school much easier.

I think the generations beyond Gen X are transforming the workplace.

They are not accepting that you must do whatever work requires even if that means a horrific life.

It will take a couple generations to undo the workplace experiences the baby boomers and generation x were willing to accept as normal.

I know a baby boomer who missed their kids births because of work and was then shocked when they were still laid off despite being so pro company. I know a gen x who missed their kids surgery because of work and was also shocked when laid off a couple years later.

Gen Y and Z are not putting up with crappy work policies and do not generally see work as important to their happiness.

There's some letter I read about how the new generation is so terrible, etc. and if you read it you would think it was written yesterday, but it was actually from like a hundred years ago, and examples go back further than that.

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?" ~Plato circa 4th century BC 😁

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.” Socrates​

He probably thought Plato was a whippersnapper!

I know some of you ARE Gen Z and others have Get Z kids - do you feel you or your kids are prepared for the demands of contemporary work? Since I teach college I deal with this regularly, and while many are very prepared and gung ho, an increasing number of my kids just aren't ready. What do you think?

https://www.voanews.com/a/forty-per...iring-gen-z-workers-survey-says-/7425325.html
Yes, Yes and Yes for my DD20.
She is highly engaging with people, is well spoken and has paved a path for herself everywhere she goes. She's able to put aside differences for the betterment of the team (regardless if it's softball, work, school or whatever) so the team can be successful. She gets rave reviews from her teachers, coaches and boss because her work ethic is incredible. Am I bragging a little? Yes, but I'm just answering the question that was posted.

She is in the process of graduating from college is 3 years while being a student athlete. She will then go to grad school to become an occupational therapist. She is wanting to work with pediatrics, because she's excellent at communicating with children (she's been an assistant softball coach for ages 9-11 for the last few years) and she's even better with communicating with adults, which is huge for pediatrics. You need to be able to speak well with your patients, but to explain and communicate even more with their parents. I can hardly wait to see her meet this goal - she's going to be great!!!

Steering away from my DD20 (which again, I only discussed because the question was asked) I have seen the type of Generation Z people that was explained in the original post. But, I'd be willing to bet that every generation ahead of the one before thinks that the following generation is a train wreck. I do think that many parents today coddle their late teen and young adult children more now than ever before, which results in adults that can't stand on their own two feet - I see it all the time managing a doctor's office and as a softball coach. But this is only something parents can change if they want to.

In the end, I think the Generation Z people will do just fine - we just have to have faith in them.

Last edited:
Yes, Yes and Yes for my DD20.
She is highly engaging with people, is well spoken and has paved a path for herself everywhere she goes. She's able to put aside differences for the betterment of the team (regardless if it's softball, work, school or whatever) so the team can be successful. She gets rave reviews from her teachers, coaches and boss because her work ethic is incredible. Am I bragging a little? Yes, but I'm just answering the question that was posted.

She is in the process of graduating from college is 3 years while being a student athlete. She will then go to grad school to become an occupational therapist. She is wanting to work with pediatrics, because she's excellent at communicating with children (she's been an assistant softball coach for ages 9-11 for the last few years) and she's even better with communicating with adults, which is huge for pediatrics. You need to be able to speak well with your patients, but to explain and communicate even more with their parents. I can hardly wait to see her meet this goal - she's going to be great!!!

Steering away from my DD20 (which again, I only discussed because the question was asked) I have seen the type of Generation Z people that was explained in the original post. But, I'd be willing to bet that every generation ahead of the one before thinks that the following generation is a train wreck. I do think that many parents today coddle their adult children more now than ever before, which results in adults that can't stand on their own two feet - I see it all the time managing a doctor's office and as a softball coach. But this is only something parents can change if they want to.

In the end, I think the Generation Z people will do just fine - we just have to have faith in them.
Nicely said, and given what I've gleaned from your posts @slo I am not at all surprised that your daughter is on the path to smashing success. Your daughter is the kind of student professors dream of.

• Love
Reactions: slo
Nicely said, and given what I've gleaned from your posts @slo I am not at all surprised that your daughter is on the path to smashing success. Your daughter is the kind of student professors dream of.
Thank you my friend!
I appreciate your kind words, and I appreciate you and all the teachers (past and present) out there doing their best to make sure each generation is educated and prepared to take on the world when it's their time to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter