Genie+ has GOT TO GO!

Interestingly, I've been hearing reports lately of unusually high attendance in Northern California theme parks on the weekend lately. So it seems like some former Norcal Magic Keyholders may be starting to abandon Disneyland for local parks. When the West Coast gets a good substitute for Disneyland is when I think we'll see fewer people at Disneyland.
Great America in Santa Clara is doing well right now because their annual Hallowe'en nights (which end tonight) are popular. But they're only open on the weekends now, and after Christmas they'll close entirely for a couple of months. Plus they can't open on Sundays when there's a Niners game, and besides, the park is going to close permanently sometime in the next several years. That will only leave Six Flags in Vallejo. (Gilroy Gardens doesn't count.) So if there's going to be a good substitute for DL in Northern California (or anywhere on the West Coast), I don't know what it would be.

Even if price increases at the DLR have lagged inflation, I share the common perception that they've gotten out of hand. And I make enough money to afford a DL trip. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for young parents who want to take take a whole family there for a few days.

It’s a little ironic that there are so many complaints about families being priced out of Disneyland (and having an almost class system where people who can pay more are the ones able to have a better experience) and most of the sentiment in this thread is that Disney needs to raise prices more to fix the parks. I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong, I just find it interesting.

Great America in Santa Clara is doing well right now because their annual Hallowe'en nights (which end tonight) are popular. But they're only open on the weekends now, and after Christmas they'll close entirely for a couple of months. Plus they can't open on Sundays when there's a Niners game, and besides, the park is going to close permanently sometime in the next several years. That will only leave Six Flags in Vallejo. (Gilroy Gardens doesn't count.) So if there's going to be a good substitute for DL in Northern California (or anywhere on the West Coast), I don't know what it would be.

Even if price increases at the DLR have lagged inflation, I share the common perception that they've gotten out of hand. And I make enough money to afford a DL trip. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for young parents who want to take take a whole family there for a few days.
Talk about lines that are brutally long: Great America Santa Clara.

Universal Express pass is also $$$, unlimited more than the ticket itself, I think. It is also only sold in limited quantities, unlike Genie, which everyone can buy if they want to.
Genie would work better, with less phone hassle, if 1, there were three versions to buy. 1 Say 3 lightening lane passes for one park, or 3 each park for hopper.
2. One per ride, all day.
3. Unlimited rides per day
.#1, no limits on buying like now, current price, buy day of or when buy tickets
#2 limited quantities at least 2x price, only available when purchasing tickets
#3 even more limited quantities at least 3x price only available when purchasing tickets
Eliminate times, show up and if LL busy move on to something else, or wait your choice.
Universal aims for their express lane to be at least half the wait of regular standby, new rides usually have virtual queue system for a while, no express. And their deluxe hotels include the regular express pass for everyone in the room on check in and check our day, so a one night stay at the hotel can be a deal for families, plus early entry.

They overly complicated the whole thing.

But Disney has got a lot right. I was holding my breath to fit in some of Universal ride systems, I'm a size 18, Im not talking about only rollercoasters, either. Their dining options are not great, and seating limited when you get your food. They need a few more rides for the elementary age crowd and younger. Though Suess land is fun in Orlando. And putting your stuff in lockers constantly gets old. Photo pass much better at Disney. Too much reliance on screens rides at Universal IMHO.

Universal Studios Hollywood doesn’t have deluxe resorts, and they also have better eating choices…. You just go to City Walk. Tons of restaurants…. Either sit down or fast food. It’s right outside the park.

My biggest complaint with Universal is I get motion sick…. And if you get motion sick, that eliminates a lot of the rides. I can’t do at least 4-5 rides, and they don’t have a ton of rides to start with. But they sure do have their express pass service down A plus plus!!!

I completely agree with your assessment of the Norcal theme park landscape. I think a lot of people who are frustrated with Disney right now are praying for Universal to build new rides in Hollywood faster and not increase prices. In the short term, I think Universal has a great opportunity if they find a way to get Universal Orlando vacations to be seen as a viable alternative to Disneyland. Maybe they could allow Universal Hollywood Annual Passholders to get a substantial discount on Universal Orlando tickets or something.

Talk about lines that are brutally long: Great America Santa Clara.

Their lines are very cyclical. Right now, they are definitely brutally long but there are also times of the year when many rides basically have no lines.

I completely agree with your assessment of the Norcal theme park landscape. I think a lot of people who are frustrated with Disney right now are praying for Universal to build new rides in Hollywood faster and not increase prices. In the short term, I think Universal has a great opportunity if they find a way to get Universal Orlando vacations to be seen as a viable alternative to Disneyland. Maybe they could allow Universal Hollywood Annual Passholders to get a substantial discount on Universal Orlando tickets or something.
I have some friends who used to have Disney APs that were good in both CA and Florida. Those don't exist any more, do they?

Even if Universal were to offer something like that, I can't see it being more than a niche product. Yes, USF is a destination in a way that USH isn't, and certainly some Californians want to see both just as many of us DLR fans make the trek to WDW, but USF is never going to be significant competition for DLR. We're going to need something else to whack Disney execs upside the head about long-term guest satisfaction with DLR.

what I don't get is that Universal has had a paid system for years but doesn't have the line issues like disney does.
what is their secret formula?
I will be there in a few weeks and we can't afford G+ for our group for 5 days, I may purchase it on one day but it's unlikely.
I have resigned myself to the fact that very little actual attractions will get done on this trip - which is a very sad state of affairs.

The secret to Universals formula is that they price their Express pass near or in excess of the daily admission rate. You won't be purchasing Express at Universal for $25-$30. Also, unlike Disney, Universal actually has respect for their guests that don't use express. Universal ratio of Express to Standby, at its worst, is a 50:50 split. At Disney, the normal Lighting Lane to Standby ratio is 80:20. If the Lightning Lane becomes backed up that ratio goes to 90:10 then to 99:1. The ratios that Disney implements are absurd to say the least, and no other park in the world that offers skip the line systems have ratios as lopsided as Disney.

Disney has gone from being the best theme park operator in the world to one of the worst. It's crazy to see Disney change so much for the worst in such a short amount of time.

I think what Disney needs to do is just jack prices up a lot, maybe $50+ a day. There is just too much demand right now. The way they’re trying to do it is nickel and dime and instead it isn’t working well for anyone and feels like a cash grab once you already got in the park.

If the price was just much steeper most the year (have a few times it’s low, February, maybe a random couple weeks mid summer, etc) that would cut demand a lot and allow a much better experience. Of course that would be a much better experience for those that can go, and it certainly would price people out… but that’s really the only solution I can see to “lower the wait times.”

Either that or you literally put everyone in a queue for the big attractions. I missed Rise a couple times last October when I went, but the times I did get into the digital queue… wait times were like 20 minutes or less, most times it was almost walk on. That’s a strong gamble where saving up and throwing money at it doesn’t buy your way on. The much higher price still allows you to save up more, reduce the number of days, etc and buy your way in…

As well as Annual passes need to be at least doubled and no payment plans. Or better just get rid of them.

Genie + works perfect for the out of town guest on a big trip, for us APs we are fine not spending the money. I would not change it. Look at other park first in line passes. Genie is pretty cheap

As well as Annual passes need to be at least doubled and no payment plans. Or better just get rid of them.
Disney will never get rid of annual passes and although they will continue to raise the prices on them, it will never exceed the threshold where people stop buying them. Disney wants annual passholders in the parks, though it seems that they want to be able to control exactly how many of us there are, which explains why they are only allowing renewals right now and no new pass sales.

Disney will never get rid of annual passes and although they will continue to raise the prices on them, it will never exceed the threshold where people stop buying them. Disney wants annual passholders in the parks, though it seems that they want to be able to control exactly how many of us there are, which explains why they are only allowing renewals right now and no new pass sales.

Yes, I’m fully aware that just like everything else in this thread it’s something Disney “will never” do. But getting rid of annual passes would be the best and quickest way to improve the guest experience without a hit on profits.

Yes, I’m fully aware that just like everything else in this thread it’s something Disney “will never” do. But getting rid of annual passes would be the best and quickest way to improve the guest experience without a hit on profits.
Except that it would be a huge hit to profits for Disney. Annual passholders spend a lot of money in the parks, especially “off season” (whenever that is now 😆🤷‍♀️).

I don’t understand why you think getting rid of annual passes won’t hit profits.

Except that it would be a huge hit to profits for Disney. Annual passholders spend a lot of money in the parks, especially “off season” (whenever that is now 😆🤷‍♀️).

So they need AP’s spending during the off season which you immediately admit doesn’t exist anymore?

So they need AP’s spending during the off season which you immediately admit doesn’t exist anymore?
It doesn’t really exist right now, not like the “old days” of certain months or weeks or days being “ghost town.” But that is exactly the way Disney wants it. No off season, and much of that is thanks to the local annual passholders.

I mean, yes, eliminating the annual pass program would probably result in much lower crowds. Disney had the opportunity to do that after reopening after the covid shutdown. They had canceled the old program and could have simply never brought anything back. But they did. And they kept the monthly payment plans. They did these things because they want/need the APs.

Raising the ticket prices tenfold might also reduce the crowds. Limiting the capacity again like they did post-covid would limit the crowds. There are so many things that would limit the crowds, but the main issue is that Disney WANTS the crowds. Packed parks are fantastic for Disney. They are making money hand over fist right now and that is exactly where Disney wants to be.

I miss the parks the way they used to be before Genie+ and before all the constant ride breakdowns and park hopping restrictions and the reservation nonsense and the constant huge crowds and the price increases while diminishing what you get for those prices. So much of the magic and fun is gone. It makes me so sad.

Last edited:
It doesn’t really exist right now, not like the “old days” of certain months or weeks or days being “ghost town.” But that is exactly the way Disney wants it. No off season, and much of that is thanks to the local annual passholders.

I mean, yes, eliminating the annual pass program would probably result in much lower crowds. Disney had the opportunity to do that after reopening after the covid shutdown. They had canceled the old program and could have simply never brought anything back. But they did. And they kept the monthly payment plans. They did these things because they want/need the APs.

Raising the ticket prices tenfold might also reduce the crowds. Limiting the capacity again like they did post-covid would limit the crowds. There are so many things that would limit the crowds, but the main issue is that Disney WANTS the crowds. Packed parks are fantastic for Disney. They are making money hand of fist right now and that is exactly where Disney wants to be.

I miss the parks the way they used to be before Genie+ and before all the constant ride breakdowns and park hopping restrictions and the reservation nonsense and the constant huge crowds and the price increases while diminishing what you get for those prices. So much of the magic and fun is gone. It makes me so sad.

Yet you still go 100 times a year. Why are you supporting a company you think is so bad?

Yet you still go 100 times a year. Why are you supporting a company you think is so bad?
I don’t go 100 times a year 😆😆😆.

And I don’t think Disney is “bad.” I think some things are broken right now. I love Disney and I’m praying they get the in-park guest experience sorted out soon. I’m also praying they actually care about the in-park guest experience.

Additionally, as a Magic Key holder, I feel like I’m privileged in that we can visit, ride a few things, eat, shop, explore and play, and if we can’t do certain favorites because it’s too crowded or rides are broken or entertainment is canceled or whatever, it’s not as big a deal because we know we can come back another day soon. I feel really for the guests who come once a year or once every few years or maybe even once in a lifetime who pay these incredible prices and then have a lousy park experience. It makes me sad. Disney used to be the very best and worth the high prices. But right now, it’s just not what it used to be.

I don’t go 100 times a year 😆😆😆.

And I don’t think Disney is “bad.” I think some things are broken right now. I love Disney and I’m praying they get the in-park guest experience sorted out soon. I’m also praying they actually care about the in-park guest experience.

Additionally, as a Magic Key holder, I feel like I’m privileged in that we can visit, ride a few things, eat, shop, explore and play, and if we can’t do certain favorites because it’s too crowded or rides are broken or entertainment is canceled or whatever, it’s not as big a deal because we know we can come back another day soon. I feel really for the guests who come once a year or once every few years or maybe even once in a lifetime who pay these incredible prices and then have a lousy park experience. It makes me sad. Disney used to be the very best and worth the high prices. But right now, it’s just not what it used to be.

This comes across so condescending and elitist. Many people go and have a great time. You think only magic key holders deserve to go and be happy with their experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter