Give up a day of Disney for Universal?

diskids2

<font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag
I will post this on the universal board as well, just to get as many opinions as I can.

We have been to WDW five times as a family. We have never been to Universal. This Easter we will be in the world for 7 full days, not including travel days. This time we will be driving down and will have access to a car as well. My children will be ages 9 and 13 and do enjoy roller coaster rides and can tolerate "scary" rides.

Should we give up one of our 7 full days and go to Universal? What do you think?

This is something DH are going to do. We haven't been to Universal for several years, and not at IOA at all. We are going to stay onsite at Hard Rock Hotel and spend the day at Universal parks, and then during the week we are at Disney, we are going to go for another full day.

Since we have been to Disney only for the past couple of years, we thought it would be nice to do a Universal visit.

I see no problem with visiting Universal while you are at Disney. There is so much to see in Orlando! Have a great time!!

I've never been to US/IOA and will be doing this on my trip in Nov/Dec. My plan is to stay at RPH to get "front-of-the-line" (FOTL) access since the weekend I'll be there is Thanksgiving weekend!!

Since you're plannning on going at Easter, you should consider staying onsite also as the crowds will be huge. There's usually some good discount rates out there such as the Entertainment Book rate, but book early as those rates are the first to go!!!

Good luck with your decision!!! :smooth:

The last few times we've gone to US, we always wonder, "WHY did we come here?" So, you couldn't drag us from Disney again! (well, maybe to the beach, or SeaWorld! ;) ) But, NOT to Universal, it just can not even compare to Disney!

Are you spending any time at the Disney water parks? If your kids like rides, they will love the water rides! And, you should have a wonderfully relaxing day too! ;)

Good luck on your decision!

I'm having the same dilemna. I hate spending the extra money for IoA when I have an AP to Disney. But I think my travel friend this time around has her heart set on one day at IoA.:confused:

My wife and I usually take a day from our trip for Universal. We love it!!!!!!!!! If you are a thrill ride person I'd say this is a no brainer - go! The roller coasters are great and Spiderman is I beleive still the best ride in Orlando. If not, I'd say it's 50/50. Islands of Adventure is wonderful (especially on nice days where you can really enjoy the water rides). We weren't thrilled with the Studios but as we bought a multi-day ticket (we just save the remaining days for our next trip) which allows park hopping so we could go to studios for an hour or two and just hit what we want to. If you're like us and go to Disney often, try something different. We love doing one new park (Universal, SeaWorld etc) for a day.

However, Easter is also a really bad time - once thing you might consider if you go this route is to start or end your trip by staying a night or two at the Universal Hotels to take advantage of their express pass for the lines which I beleive is still a benefit for those staying on site. I've only been to Universal off season but I've heard in season the lines are horrendous (not that Disney is much better).

I'm a Disney AP holder and my husband is a CM, but we always throw in a trip to US/IOA several times a year. My husband loves roller coasters and IOA has the best roller coasters anywhere. We actually stayed at Portofino in July for one night and took advantage of the FOTL access (wonderful). As Disney as we are, we still enjoy spending a day at US/IOA. We also went to Sea World for the day in July too. My grandson, 9, hadn't been for a couple of years, so we treated to that too. (He also has his only WDW AP). If transportation is not a problem for you this trip, I think your kids will love the change. But it's always nice to come HOME to Disney.

I always take a day to do USF/IoA, two great parks. Different than WDW, and good also.

I am one of those diehard WDW people. I never leave the property except maybe to go to church...

I have heard from others that the rides at Universal are terrific... I have gone before but not lately.. Good luck with your decision.:)

If you are going to be in Orlando for 7 days - I would spend 2 days out of WDW and go to both Universal parks - they are both amazing!!

We are going to Orlando for 8 days - we will be going to the 4 WDW parks, Blizzard Beach and the 2 Universal Parks - we always plan our trips so we can do both WDW and Universal!

Universal has rides much different from disney -- the Men in Black ride is great, as is Back to the Future - plus there is a new SHrek attraction this year. ET is wonderful and I love jaws.

Islands of Adventure is the place to be for roller coasters - nothing at WDW even comes close. The Hulk and Dueling Dragons are 2 of the best coasters around and Spider man is one of the best rides I have ever been on.

If you have done WDW in the past, and you say you have, then I would really suggest taking 1 or 2 days to try out Universal -- we like it as much as we like Disney!!

Frankly - I am surprised to hear that people go only to Disney and they skip the Universal parks. For our Honeymoon - we did 10 parks in 12 days (AK, MGM, MK, Epcot, Universal, IOA, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Typhoon Lagoon and Discovery Cove) - it was the best trip of my life! We try to replicate it every year but generally we can only do 6-7 parks in 7 or 8 days!

In any event --- go to Universal and IOA - you will be glad you did!!

HAVE FUN

YES!

i went to IOA for the first time last january and we loved it!!!! (of course it helped that the park was deserted and we literally walked on everything) we spent 5 days in disney and 2 at universal/ioa.

the coasters are phenomenal, ride the hulk in the front :)

spiderman is the second best ride i have ever been on (top thrill dragster at cedar point being #1) we rode it 3 times! it's a blast.

dh calls disney the 'soft sell' and IOA the 'hard sell'.

ie: the load blaring music, colors, and overboard theming at IOA vs. the subtle piped in music at disney, tasteful theming and more subdued colors.

but it's fun and totally worth it. call your AAA for discount tickets.

If you can only give up one day towards Universal, we recommend Island of Adventure over the Studios. Great rides and imagination. We make it a point to go to IOA but only to Studios if we have more than a week at Disney. As, Disney has just so much to offer!

If you have time do both. Our trips to Orlando are all inclusive. We spend time at Disney, Universal, and Seaworld. But we love everything in Orlando so trips for us are just planning what days to do what.

My DD12 and I are at WDW 9/27-10/4 followed by the DC- Wonder.
I am taking 1 day off to visit both US & IOA.

I have upgraded to the VIP tour/ 2 parks in 1 day -to be sure we can see as much as possible.

But don't get me wrong- my first love is Disney-Disney-Disney.
However I did grew up w/both US Hollywood and Disneyland. (And frankly Universal Hollywood is far more intriguing than MGM).
My DD12 is really just as excited at this one day as any day at WDW.

For first timers at US & IOA - what could be the down side?(As long as you are not missing any favorites at WDW.)

Oh gosh, yes.

Last year we did mainly a "non-Disney" vacation. Did US, IOA, SeaWorld, etc.

US & IOA are fantastic!! The Dr Suess area is probably the most charming area I've ever sceen in a theme park. IOA is simply magical!!

Our dd is still pretty little (4.5 this trip). When she is a bit older we will diffently stay at a Universal Hotel.

There really is sssoooo much to do in the Orlando area. Disney is wonderful, but don't miss out on the rest!!

We are giving up three days at disney and spending them at Universal during our next trip in Dec!

Please don't fall in the fanatical trap that many do, rejecting Universal and seeing it as a "rival" when in fact the war is merely between CEOs. Both are different, and very fun in each of their own ways.

We are spending seven days at WDW, onsite visit but then we're spending three at USF, onsite visit as well... Wish Disney treated its resort guests the way Universal does. And don't give me the story of "too many hotels, so little chances... blah blah blah" When Disney wants to go overboard pampering VIPs, there's nothing impossible. It really could pamper its resort guests much more... Saying it is too big and it couldn only empowers them to keep from offering better perks, such as Universal's express line for resort guests.

So, dear, it is *your* money and *your* vacation. Don't let any fanatics determine where you go. Have your own fun and reasons to visit each site!

I'm a Disney diehard, so I'd hardly consider giving up Disney time, which is never enough, to do Universal. I like Univeral in California, but have heard that the one in Florida is set up differently and that everything is a ride and not a true studio tour.

Maybe it's because we fly across the pond & tend to have a longer stay than those of you from USA but I couldn't imagine not going to US-in my opinion it's the best park!We've spoken to families before who because they have a UPH(or equivalent) feel they need to stay at WDW for their 2 weeks-WHY?
Now don't get me wrong WE LOVE DISNEY!But there is so much else to do in the area as well,ok IOA feels a little disjointed compared to MK but a few of their rides shouldn't be missed!US is just MGM but better & we always make a trip down to Tampa to do BG which is excellent also
Sd:smooth:

If you do decide to go to Universal, then definitely stay on site! The front of the line pass is just too amazing!

We got so spoiled by it in June, I almost didn't want to go back to WDW for the rest of the trip....well ALMOST

My kids love all the thriller rides at Universal and we are planning on 4 days there next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter