Give up a day of Disney for Universal?

Stay onsite if you go to Universal but do Disney first. Otherwise, you'll really resent standing in those lines like everyone else after being a Universal resort guest!

YES, YES, YES!!!!

I can't imagine a trip to Orlando without US and IOA... In my opinion, it's like comparing apples and oranges. My husband doesn't even want to go to WDW this year.

The resorts are fabulous, there are a few standout restaurants, FOTL is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and your children will like the theming. I promise...

I have to agree with Tree of Life. Do not listen to the Disney fanatics who would have you miss the experience of US and IOA. I love Disney but after making my first trip to Universal a year ago, I will always make it part of my vacations in Orlando. As you can see, most of the people replying to your thread love Universal. Stay onsite for FOTL privileges. Once again, Tree of Life is correct, do Disney first because FOTL at Universal spoils you. Hope you have fun no matter what you choose.

Yes by all means take a day out of Disney and go to
US/IOA. We did exactely that one year and had a great time. :)
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Your children will enjoy the rides at the USF/IOA, especially at their age. I never thought I could depart from Disney. But when I tried Universal for the first time this past April, I could never go to Orlando without going to both.

You will enjoy your experience even better if you would stay on their property. You will have the FOTL- front of the line access. This is great for my family especially having two small children and we don't like standing in line for over 30 minutes. You will also experience the wonderful resorts they have.

Try the Shrek 4D ride and the Jimmy Neutron ride. They are the newest at the Universal. 2 thumbs up for these two rides and other rides they have. Try MIB and Spiderman, I think your children will love this one too and a lot of other rides.

Enjoy Universal!! :)

We usually do Universal first, but the last trip, we did Disney first. I love Disney and I couldn't leave Disney to hop over Universal, but I did and I was OK, but I did miss Mickey when I was doing Universal.

From now on, I will do Universal first so I have something to look forward to at the end of my trip...Mickey.

I get kind of confused when I hear people say that Universal Studios quality is not even close to WDW. I am as big a fan of Disney as anyone but I also enjoy a day trip to US.

I think that the attractions are very well done and themed in the same manner as Disney. In some cases, (sorry about this) I even think they are better. When your number 2 you try harder. Terminator, Back to the Future, Earthquake, Tornado are "not to be missed" attractions. Men in Black, Wild West Show and others are really good as well. In short, it is well worth a look see.

The only word of warning is that, it has always seemed to me that the lines are longer and a little more "hidden" than Disney. It can be discouraging to think you are almost at the beginning of the line only to turn the corner and find the population of New York City winding it's way behind an unseen barrier. Other than that, I think it is very well done.

I have not been to IOA because I am not a thrill ride seeker, but others tell me it is done pretty well also. When time allows, I almost always take a day trip to Universal.

Whenever we do WDW we always pick up 2 day tickets from AAA for US/IOA. We get there before opening 9. Last week US opened at 8:35 and IOA at 8:45. We were first on Shrek and Jimmy Neutron then rode MIB twice all by 9:05. Park was almost empty until 11-12. We left by 1 after having rode all the ones we wanted. The same for US hit Hulk and Spidey and walked on for 3-4 rides. Hit other favorites with little or no wait. Left again around 1. The drive was about 20 minutes to DTD. After a swim and nap, we hit the Disney parks in the evening. Great day when you do both.
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Since you have 7 days I would definitely do Universal but do stay at one of their resorts for one night for the FOLP. That will give you two days for USF/IOA and you'll have plenty of time to do all that you want. We went at Easter 2002 and spent Good Friday-Monday at Disney and then Universal until Wednesday. We stayed at HRH and DS then 18 and DD, 15 at the time, loved the hotel and the parks. They are big coaster fans and couldn't get enough!

Never done US itself, but IoA is absolutely a can't miss park. It has something for everyone: Hulk and Dueling Dragons for the coaster enthusiasts, Seuss and Toon Lagoon for young children, Marvel and Jurassic Park for older kids, great water rides (including, IMHO, the best flume ride in the world)...And I have to say that Spider-man is the most incredible experience I've ever had in a theme park. DW and I are planning a second trip to Orlando this year (after Disney Week in 10 days!) to do IoA, Sea World, and a few other Orlando attractions. If you've got the time, and you've seen everything Disney has to offer, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Yes you should got o IOA. It is a great park. The staff is not as nice but the rides are wonderful. If you are going during a busy time you can buy a front of the line pass on line from them, no need to stay on site anymore. I'm not sure of the price but my friends did this and found it worth the extra money. Check out their webpage and no you won't be disappointed. The Spiderman ride is awsome. Their water rides are the best anywhere and we are amusement park people.
Go enjoy, no need to feel guilty you can enjoy other parks too. Gina

......we take days out of our US/IOA vacation to visit the Mouse! We love it all! I just couldn't imagine a vacation in Orlando, just visiting Disney. It would be just like doing half the stuff Orlando has to offer. Most of our favourite rides are in US/IOA.

Ann.

I think it is a good idea. This last trip I took some time and spent 3 days at universal. I had been to IOA once the year it opened but not to any of the rest of the Universal property. I thought Universal Studios was great. IOA is a wonderful park as well. My whole 4 night stay at Portofino Bay was excellent. If everyone in the family likes the idea, I say go for it.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for so many replies. I am printing out the thread and will read each and every one. Then I'll get back on with more questions, I'm sure!

Linda

I'm happy :D to say that I have never been to US. Most of the time we don't go off property. (maybe to grocery or to UNO's pizza) I've visited WDW 15+ times and have no interest at all.
Where we live in OH we have season passes to Paramount Kings Island (20 min drive) and it just isn't the same.
Maybe someday.............NOT!!!

Just a thought, tkldisney but I'm not sure what you are imagining Universal Studios to be. If you closed your eyes on the way in and didn't notice the Universal sign, you might think you were in Disney. It is a very successful effort to copy the Disney style. In many area they have even surpassed them. Not having been to IOA I can't say what that is like, but Universal is worth the visit.

If you have a family of coaster fans, then going to IOA may be a good idea. I see nothing wrong with splitting up the vacation and taking in as many attractions as possible (as long as the majority is spent in Disney, of course;))

:bounce:

Islands of adventure is well worth leaving disney behind for a few short hours but you will find it to be a little short on the Magic of MK.

tkldisney, just curious: Exactly what are you getting for that blinded loyalty to WDW?

I mean, their VIPs get free meals, cruises, hotel stays, admission to parks and events... Not exactly free, Disney's guests cover their expenses at the ticket booths and souvenir shops but what do you get in particular that people willing to visit other parks don't?

Not a free admission pass? Not even a free ice cream coupon? Not a lollipop saying "Thanks for not visiting Universal? Not a bumper sticker saying "I stuck to WDW?"

I am glad our family is open minded enough to enjoy both sites and their different styles, getting over the fanatical censorship that Disney's desperate marketing staff promoted to try to crush other attractions around... It is *our* money, *our* vacation time and if another attraction gives us what we want, we see no reason to stick to Disney alone.

please, don't do it!!!!! my boyfriend and I just got back from a trip on 8/22 that included a day at universal and a day at IOA. we did not like Universal at all and decided never to go back there! The park is pretty and clean but lacks any real personality or magic. the rides are outdated and the characters look like people in halloween costumes. However, we LOVED IOA. The themeing is beautiful there is so much to do and see, the rides and attractions are very inventive as well. so if you really want to check it out, I would definately stick with IOA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter