Got myself in trouble on the DIS Facebook page

It's not just FB. There was a similar thread to this on the restaurant board that was shut down yesterday, because some people were being exceedingly rude. FWIW, many of the posts on this thread were the reason the other thread was closed. There's no polite way to insinuate that someone is ignorant.

I’m a bad speller. Always have been. I don’t need someone to point out my misspelling on a pubic forum. It’s just plain rude. You most often know what the person is saying. Ignore and move on.

I’m a bad speller. Always have been. I don’t need someone to point out my misspelling on a pubic forum. It’s just plain rude. You most often know what the person is saying. Ignore and move on.
I'm a terrible speller also (and in grammar usage). But I'd rather learn how to spell a word than to continue to make the same mistake over and over and over again. Making a mistake once can be a typo. Making the same mistake multiple times means a lack of interest.

my 77yo mom is a horrible speller, always has been and its part of her charm. the other day I texted her and asked if she was attending a particular event. she texted back "no too tired". I texted her "look at you using the proper "too"
she wrote back, "my phone must have done that" :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I get doing it when people are being jerks as kind of a rebuttal or dig, but not just to correct some random person on the internet. It doesn’t make you seem superior, just petty.

Yup. What gets lost is that you kind of have to earn the right to correct someone and not come across like a jerk - not because of a degree you hold or any title or position, but because you have a relationship with that person. I can correct my husband's grammar and spelling all day, we have a relationship and he knows I'm not doing anything out of malice, or I'm intentionally being funny. We have an established trust. Calling out someone else's mistakes on the internet when you have zero established trust with that person is rarely going to be taken as anything but condescending.

People do not like being corrected. Which is strange to me. I am a poor speller so I take that extra few seconds to double check.

I've learned to just let it go. If people had any pride or even interest in communicating well it wouldn't bother them. But the anonymity of this type of personal interaction usually breeds anger and resentment.

I see it alot....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter