Got myself in trouble on the DIS Facebook page

By “European” spelling I’m assuming you’re referring to the English spelling, as other countries have their own words for dining. I can assure you that in English, it is always spelt “dining”, and the people who spell it otherwise are spelling it wrong. “Dinning” is to make a din, AKA be very loud. Two completely different words.

Seems odd that European countries would have different words for the same things. I've read here on this very forum that all of Europe has a single viewpoint.

I’m a bad speller. Always have been. I don’t need someone to point out my misspelling on a pubic forum. It’s just plain rude. You most often know what the person is saying. Ignore and move on.

I would agree that correcting a random person's grammar & spelling mistakes in a public forum is a little bit rude.

However, if you're making a really obvious error such as typing "dinning" when you should be typing "dining," don't you prefer to know?

Because when I see someone typing "dinning" when they mean "dining," my first thought isn't, "That person must be really smart..."

I'd want to know. I'd rather look dumb one time than continue to look dumb post after post, reply after reply.

However, I have no idea how one goes about sensitively correcting someone else.

I have a Facebook friend who is an elementary school teacher. She consistently types "coarse" when she means "course." For example, she'll type something like "Of coarse, we're going!" instead of "Of course, we're going!"

Every time I see one of her Facebook posts or replies w/ "coarse" instead of "course," I cringe. She's a teacher!

But I don't know how to politely inform her that she should be typing "coarse," so I just leave it alone.

Last edited:
I would agree that correcting a random person's grammar & spelling mistakes in a public forum is a little bit rude.

However, if you're making a really obvious error such as typing "dinning" when you should be typing "dining," don't you prefer to know?

Because when I see someone typing "dinning" when they mean "dining," my first thought isn't, "That person must be really smart..."

I'd want to know. I'd rather look dumb one time than continuing to look dumb.

I have a Facebook friend who is an elementary school teacher. She consistently types "coarse" when she means "course." For example, she'll type something like "Of coarse, we're going!" instead of "Of course, we're going!"

Every time I see one of her Facebook posts or replies w/ "coarse" instead of "course," I cringe. She's a teacher!

But I don't know how to politely inform her that she should be typing "coarse," so I just leave it alone.

I had to do something similar yesterday. I sent an email to a client of ours and had my normal signature block at the bottom which includes all the typical information. First and last name, title, company name, phone number and address. The client responded by calling me solely by my last name. I had to politely correct him to let him know that he was calling my by my last name instead of my first name. It is always a bit difficult to do this in a way that does not embarrass the other person but I didn't want to let it slide because I could totally see ending up in a situation 5 years down the road where he is still calling me by my last name!

By an odd coincidence, the same thing happened to my husband yesterday as well, but it was a totally different client! (and no, our last name is not one that can be easily mistaken for a first name) :confused3

If we were friends and it was something I did over and over again, sure. Politely tell me in private. Don’t berate me on a public forum about something that in the end doesn’t matter. We aren't writing term papers here.

Thanks for correcting me TipsyTraveler

Last edited:

I'd want to know. I'd rather look dumb one time than continue to look dumb post after post, reply after reply.

Why not just message her on FB with the correction? I do that for local businesses that advertise on FB. When they have errors, I send them a message. Every single time I've done that, they've gone back and edited their post. (BTW, I had 5 typos/errors to correct in this post)

If we were friends and it was something I did over and over again, sure. Politely tell me in private. Don’t berate me on a public forum about something that in the end doesn’t matter. We are writing term papers here.

Correcting in public is not berating, in itself. So what if you make an error, and someone corrects you on it? Do you think less of yourself? Do you think no one else has ever made an error? I've made errors, people have pointed them out, and I just thank them and go back and correct the mistake, move on. (BTW, I made 4 more typing errors in this section)

Correcting in public is not berating, in itself. So what if you make an error, and someone corrects you on it? Do you think less of yourself? Do you think no one else has ever made an error? I've made errors, people have pointed them out, and I just thank them and go back and correct the mistake, move on. (BTW, I made 4 more typing errors in this section)
It really depends how, when, where and most importantly WHY they are pointing it out.

If we were friends and it was something I did over and over again, sure. Politely tell me in private. Don’t berate me on a public forum about something that in the end doesn’t matter. We are writing term papers here.
@disneychrista, as your friend, I need to berate you on a public forum about something that in the end doesn’t matter — we aren’t writing term papers here. It’s just the DIS.

If this were actually true this would be the best joke ever.

Or the most ironic thing ever to be said on these boards.

Am I the only one that finds auto-correct doing weird "correcting"? Unfortunately I can't think of an example but I have typed something one way and when I hit enter to send it, it changes a word to a wrong word or even to what looks like gibberish to me. Because of this, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt....plus I'm a terrible speller anyway. :rolleyes2

For some reason, my phone likes to autocorrect to ducking a lot. I can’t figure it out..

:duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter