Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel?

BlueSuitDonald

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip next summer and trying to decide on hotels. We have stayed at Disneyland hotel before and loved it. We are considering grand Californian due to proximity to parks. What would you guys suggest? What is the difference in distance?

Really depends on your preferences. Our family prefers the DLH. But many here prefer the Grand. When we have stayed there, it saved about 4 mins off the walk. It is nice that it is close to the exit of DCA. But the small room size, the pool, and other things just don't add up for me. I kept trying it to see what I was missing that everyone else loved, and finally gave up, realizing for our family it just didn't work.

So the time difference between the two for walking is about 4 minutes? I think that is our biggest concern is walking distance/time.

It takes us 4 mins to walk from the DLH to the DTD entrance from the Grand. But we walk at a "determined" pace (ie we aren't shopping and walking.) It is another 3 mins to the esplanade.

Just trying to decide if the shorter distance is worth the almost $600 more that the grand is compared to the DH?

Even though we would love to stay at the Grand we always choose the Disneyland Hotel. The cheaper price is what sways me. I just don’t see enough extra incentives for the Grand.

You can D2.jpg D4.jpg compare the two with these satellite views but it depends on what tower at DLH to get.. I think the Frontier is furthest

I just got back 2 weeks ago from first stay at the grand, after staying at the disneyland hotel many times. It would be hard for me to go back to the disneyland hotel. The location really makes a diiffernce and your tired and need a short rest. And at the end of the day though the distance isnt terrible it makes a difference. Plus expericanced not lines to get into downtown disney or gch entrance. If u can afford it do the grand. I think u will get more out of your trip.

we've stayed at DLH once and GCH twice (first trip and this most recent trip). We did GCH first and loved it, but wanted to save a little money, so did DLH next. That was just too much walking for us, since we go park open to close, but like a pool break. Walking back and forth that many times was tiring, and we are in very good shape. So this time, we went back to the GCH and downgraded from a suite to a regular room to save money (and downgraded to a woods/courtyard view which was totally great). We LOVED the shorter walk. It might be only 5 minutes difference, but with all the walking we were doing and how many times per day we did it, it was worth it to us to stay at GCH. Access to CA directly was also a huge plus at all times of day.

Just trying to decide if the shorter distance is worth the almost $600 more that the grand is compared to the DH?

Basing it on difference in distance would be the last factor for me. As mentioned its probably the least amount of walking you will do on a park day, nothing to worry about, its like saying you don't want to go on another ride because its too far to walk. GCH is a much more upscale, relaxed hotel with a completely different feel than the Disney charm of DLH. I like both but both are very different.

The distance is the determining factor for me. I'm slightly mobility challenged and the difference in the walk (especially heading back after a long day) is noticeable (we were in Fantasy Tower).

You can cut distance to the DLH by using the Monorail but it's very unreliable in the AM for EMH (running late or not running at all) and the last Monorail at night leaves TL 30 minutes before park closing and we like to shut the park down. It is convenient to use for mid-day breaks.

When considering closeness, Grand is first choice. Then, I consider the motels across the street on harbor. Then, I consider DLH. If you are looking for a short walk, there are a number of motels across the street on harbor that have a shorter walk than DLH.

I don't base my choice on distance, we are more on comfort. The 4 mins really doesn't matter for me. I used to prefer the motels on Harbor when we were doing the park "commando" style. BUT, I have gotten older, a little less mobile, I enjoy the hotel room too now, so now my preferences are Candy Cane Inn, DLH, Hilton, PPH, etc. If you are looking strictly at the walk, Park Vue and Desert Inn and Suites have about the shortest walks.

So the time difference between the two for walking is about 4 minutes? I think that is our biggest concern is walking distance/time.

Based on that, GCH if you want to stay onsite (or others on Harbor, if you are ok with offsite).

I'm a big fan of the Grand Californian, with hundreds of posts to the GCH Superthread and the VGC Superthread.

Some reasons I choose GCH:
  1. Arts and Crafts is a favorite design style, creatively adapted to the scale of a large hotel.
  2. Balconies.
  3. Somewhat more luxurious than DLH (very subjective).
  4. Location. I can go from a GCH room (located near Napa Rose) and be inside DCA in under 2 minutes. Unfortunately some rooms are much more distant.
A few things to note about us:
  1. Usually just 2 of us, so room size is not an issue -- particularly if we get a room with a king bed.
  2. We do not use the pool.

We stay at both, depending on pricing, and enjoy both. The walk definitely feels further from DLH, ( we are fit - DH is a marathoner!) and we are less likely to pop in and out than when we are the GCH. So if you can swing it, go for it GCH. It's really convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter