"Great deals" through travel agents

We paid $200/night at the Beach Club last September, during Labor Day week - It was half the price for room/tickets than what I paid for POR the previous year with no discounts. We are going the same week this year, at the Beach Club again and that deal was a little more than last year, at $250/night, which is still great for us. We have never been able to stay at the Deluxe resorts because of the prices.

I wish they would offer another incredible deal at another time of the year but obviously the timing is a huge part of their ability to do this. Labor Day is a slow time of year and that unfortunatley means we can't take advantage of the great prices for a whole week trip. Maybe next year we will find a way to swing a quick trip to stay at a deluxe for such a great price.

The Labor Day deal is definitely the best, however they do offer great deals all throughout the year. There's only been one time I was able to get a room cheaper and that was AKL with the AP discount. Otherwise they are always better. In the summer I have typically gotten around 38% off on deluxe.

And the contract is the very reason I feel it is actually impossible that Disney is not aware of these agencies and their practices. There is a contract! There is no way that this is a "loophole" year over year unless it is a loophole that Disney does not care to close, much like the QS dining credits for children. It's not a loophole when it happens year, after year, after year.

Yes, Disney is very aware and monitors their practices closely including how the agency advertises the group discount on their websites, social media (FB, etc.) or other outlets. Even the wording of FB posts has to follow Disney's rules. There are strict, strict rules. If the agency doesn't abide by Disney's advertising rules, the agency will hear about it very quickly (agencies have district sales managers and, in the case of group contracts, a dedicated Groups' contact working with them) and contracts will not be offered the following year and I'm sure their EarMarked status would be at risk, which, for agencies that primarily focus on Disney, would probably put them out of business. Who would risk that? As we all know from following the threads and news on this board, Disney is in the practice of keeping tight reins on its brand - how it's represented and sold. And in this day of immediate media access, they know very quickly if an agency isn't abiding by their rules and will crack down quickly. People positing that Disney doesn't know about this or the agency is somehow flying under the radar really just don't know how this whole process works and how intricately involved Disney is in the process.

This seems like a good time for a reminder: If you wish to refer to a specific travel agency or other business in a post, you MUST use the full URL of the business, like this: www.thattravelagencyiused.com. This allows our filter to remove the names of business that may not be posted here. The use of nicknames, hints, etc to bypass the filter and promote a banned business is not permitted on the DISboards. See this post for more information:

Referring to travel agencies and other businesses on the DISboards

I know you can't not put TA info on the site, but through hints and other info on TA, threads you will figure it out as I did.

You absolutely can put your TA's information on the site, as the moderator pointed out earlier in this thread. Just follow the instructions to do it properly.

Yes, Disney is very aware and monitors their practices closely including how the agency advertises the group discount on their websites, social media (FB, etc.) or other outlets. Even the wording of FB posts has to follow Disney's rules. There are strict, strict rules. If the agency doesn't abide by Disney's advertising rules, the agency will hear about it very quickly (agencies have district sales managers and, in the case of group contracts, a dedicated Groups' contact working with them) and contracts will not be offered the following year and I'm sure their EarMarked status would be at risk, which, for agencies that primarily focus on Disney, would probably put them out of business. Who would risk that? As we all know from following the threads and news on this board, Disney is in the practice of keeping tight reins on its brand - how it's represented and sold. And in this day of immediate media access, they know very quickly if an agency isn't abiding by their rules and will crack down quickly. People positing that Disney doesn't know about this or the agency is somehow flying under the radar really just don't know how this whole process works and how intricately involved Disney is in the process.
This is very true, but it's not to say that violations don't happen all the time. I have seen them quite a bit, and Disney often relies on other agencies or even the public to report abuses. It's kind of a honor system and a see something, say something way of doing things. Sometimes they go unnoticed for a long time, other times they are nipped in the bud immediately. It just depends how blatant the violation is or how far reaching it goes. But we cannot assume that just because something is happening, Disney is okay with it.

Good to know. I can't remember if mine mentioned that. I was bugging her about other stuff :D

I really need to chill out, because I probably should not be planning 3 trips at once!!!

I'm currently planning 3 that are already booked, and two more that I haven't even booked yet! :laughing: I love it that way though. I get Disney depression when I only have one trip to plan!

Good to know. I can't remember if mine mentioned that. I was bugging her about other stuff :D

I really need to chill out, because I probably should not be planning 3 trips at once!!!

Well she told me the same thing for this year and it got pushed back to November. Fingers crossed it's earlier.

This is very true, but it's not to say that violations don't happen all the time. I have seen them quite a bit, and Disney often relies on other agencies or even the public to report abuses. It's kind of a honor system and a see something, say something way of doing things. Sometimes they go unnoticed for a long time, other times they are nipped in the bud immediately. It just depends how blatant the violation is or how far reaching it goes. But we cannot assume that just because something is happening, Disney is okay with it.

Well, of course. People were selling ADR's online and were sent cease and desist letters. People sell used tickets and get arrested. Tour guides abused GAC and the whole parks disability system changed. Of course Disney won't be okay with everything that is happening and consumers should ask educated questions before purchasing anything. If you don't understand what you are purchasing or can't figure out how you are getting a certain price, ask questions, read reviews, do research.

In this thread, we have been discussing agencies that have long-standing relationships with, work closely with and contract with the Disney Groups department to obtain discounted room blocks. (I used Boscov's Travel as an example) You can't get a room block without contracting with Disney Groups. And you don't just call up and ask for a contract. It's a drawn-out, negotiated process. Groups monitors how the agencies sell these rooms down to the wording used in their advertisements (the logos used, etc.) and there are certain rules in those contracts that the agencies must abide by. If they break the contracts and skirt the rules, yes, Disney will know very quickly and the agencies risk their relationship with Disney and further contracts. If agencies are offering room blocks year after year, I think you can be rest assured Disney knows all about it, is monitoring their business practices and is ok with it. Otherwise the room blocks would go away.

I am not talking about people or businesses trying to fly under Disney's radar. I'm talking about agencies who have been offering room blocks for years and work closely with Disney. Yes, I will assume that if Disney is entering into a contract with an agency year after year after year that Disney is ok with it.

I am sure this is how they do this. I cannot think of any other way. Disney controls its pricing TO THE CENT. If any travel agency offers you a discount that Disney itself is not advertising, I would inquire as to where it's coming from, so as to avoid a possible scam. I'm a little surprised that Disney would allow an agency to purchase room blocks and then advertise it as discounted rooms. In fact, I'm willing to bet that Disney might not know about it? I can't imagine Disney allows travel agents to undercut its own pricing.

You're just not correct. One agency in particular books through Disney group sales. That's why the rates are so low. There is limited availability. We are staying at the Polynesian for less than $250 per night in less than 2 weeks. I can assure you, it's not a scam. Let's not worry people unnecessarily.

And the cancellation policy is even better than a Disney package....

Well, of course. People were selling ADR's online and were sent cease and desist letters. People sell used tickets and get arrested. Tour guides abused GAC and the whole parks disability system changed. Of course Disney won't be okay with everything that is happening and consumers should ask educated questions before purchasing anything. If you don't understand what you are purchasing or can't figure out how you are getting a certain price, ask questions, read reviews, do research.

In this thread, we have been discussing agencies that have long-standing relationships with, work closely with and contract with the Disney Groups department to obtain discounted room blocks. (I used Boscov's Travel as an example) You can't get a room block without contracting with Disney Groups. And you don't just call up and ask for a contract. It's a drawn-out, negotiated process. Groups monitors how the agencies sell these rooms down to the wording used in their advertisements (the logos used, etc.) and there are certain rules in those contracts that the agencies must abide by. If they break the contracts and skirt the rules, yes, Disney will know very quickly and the agencies risk their relationship with Disney and further contracts. If agencies are offering room blocks year after year, I think you can be rest assured Disney knows all about it, is monitoring their business practices and is ok with it. Otherwise the room blocks would go away.

I am not talking about people or businesses trying to fly under Disney's radar. I'm talking about agencies who have been offering room blocks for years and work closely with Disney. Yes, I will assume that if Disney is entering into a contract with an agency year after year after year that Disney is ok with it.
I understand what you are saying, but I was more or less talking about the ease and frequency of breaking Disney rules. I am in the business and have seen agencies do it all the time. Most times, to their credit, it is accidental. However, in my experience, they are not caught "very quickly" or even by Disney at all. Sure, Disney enforces the rules, but they are not necessarily the ones to notice the violation. I don't think Disney keeps as close a watch on them as you say. It is more of a see something, say something business. The Disney employees (bless them!) are extremely busy and don't have the time to monitor the social media of its clientele. Perhaps a few of the larger ones, but doubtful.

You're just not correct. One agency in particular books through Disney group sales. That's why the rates are so low. There is limited availability. We are staying at the Polynesian for less than $250 per night in less than 2 weeks. I can assure you, it's not a scam. Let's not worry people unnecessarily.
Precisely why I retracted this in a later post. Please read on. :-)

I apologize for posting the TA information before , I thought I was private messaged. I broke the rule I spoke about earlier in a post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter