Grocery store items that you have forgotten to buy

and don't forget the.... oh wait- that's right! I don't even drink!!! :eek:
Don't forget the non alcholholic beverages! :p

if you're going to be there long enough to do laundry, we premeasure soap and softener and save a pile of $$$

Make sure to have a list prepared before you leave. One year we even had the list with coupons attached!!

We always get:

-Quick breakfast items
-Those individual cereals are great not only for breakfast but also for snacks in the parks.
-Juice boxes
-Bottled water (one 6-pk & gallon jugs for refills)
-snack crackers & cookies (teddy grahams, goldfish, etc.)
-PBJ
-EZ Cheese & crackers (a must for my kids)
-string cheese
-yogurt
-ziploc snack size, sandwich & gallon size bags
-milk
-soda (unless your getting refillable mugs)
-pudding & fruit cups (don't need refrigeration)
-other snacks you enjoy when you go back to the room

DH would say don't forget the beer - I say don't forget the Bacardi Silvers!! :smooth:

Have a great time.

Melsmice- a list AND coupons attached? Now that's efficiency!

Don't forget a bottle opener if your beer of choice is Corona (like ours!). A Tigger one will cost approx $7 in the gift shop. It's cute though. We remembered limes and a knife to cut the limes but not the opener.

Originally posted by erinch
if you're going to be there long enough to do laundry, we premeasure soap and softener and save a pile of $$$

We do that too! And a roll of quarters comes in very handy as well!

Originally posted by erinch

I have also seen the small individual boxes of Tide at the $ store , along with small boxes of dryer sheets. Convenient for packing.

I am doing the same thing. I made a list and actually started gathering all the stuff yesterday. I also got paper towels, trash bags, deciding on the poncho in case it rains, hate wearing that stupid thing. Forks, knives and spoons, for the cereal, which I bought for the twins for their late night snack. Got snacks, disposable cameras for the boys (need film for me), bottled water, have to get the tea bags and equal together and my mug, cause if they have cups they are not going to be big enough. Beach towels, sun tan lotion, after tan/burn lotion (cocoa butter), detergent boxes incase I want to wash) a football and baseball gloves for the boys in case they want to play catch, oh yea and bought flip-flops.

Think that about covers it.
B:jester:

here are my favorits granola bars,skittles (they don't melt great for sweet tooth),pretzel sticks, red licorice,raisins,individual oatmeal packets(for breakfast),capri suns (i freeze some before I leave home and take a portable carry on cooler onto the plane), the cooler also works out nicely if you want to pack a lunch for the airplane you know==ham,cheese,bread,pringles==cheaper than paying a fortune at the airport for the pricy fast food service.
water bottles,freezer bags,indivdual bags of chips,cookies,crackers, lifesavers
I like to make treat bags to parks. It has saved us lots of money in the past.

ps if your going to buy chips get pringles or torengos and have them in your luggage they will be less likely to be broken.

Just thought i would add. If you want to go to a grocery store when you get to orlando look up the publix grocery store web site and use the site locator. it has maps and addresses. sure beats wandering around looking for a grocery store when you get there. www.publix.com

Ditto to all the other replies. We also like to bring a big bag of dried fruit and nut mix. My mother-in-law usually picks it up for us from Sam's.

So, here's some hints after 4 trips in 4 years.

1. We go to Costco before we leave and buy all the snacky/breakfast food type stuff. We then pack one suitcase with only food. As we're packing, each kid picks out 2 snacks and 2 juice boxes/pouches for each day to pack in the suitcase. Then, each day at WDW, they pick 2 of "their" snacks and drinks to put in their packs for the day.This is a great idea, because on the way home, you now have all the room in the world for the 7 stuffed Mickeys, 37 t shirts, 4 beach towels, 7 lanyards, numerous sets of blinking ears, new coffee mugs, bath bombs, sweatshirts, the Winnie the Pooh teakettle, sets of Legos, etc, .. .

what can I say, we like Disney stuff . . .

2. bring a hotpot. Hard to make individual oatmeal packets if you have no hot water. Also include ind packets of hot chocolate, tea bags, cider mix - we usually go in Jan or Feb and even WDW can get chilly at night. Also, this last time, we got these little cartons of soup that you just add water to, I think Ramen makes some Noodle cups like that, although ours came from the health food store.

3. We also bring cheese sticks. Contrary to popular opinon, those sealed in plastic individual cheese sticks will stay good for up to a week without refrigeration. They do get kind of oily, but if you use one of the trash cans as an extra ice bucket, you can "refrigerate" them overnight a couple of times with no problems. This does not work with coldcuts.

4. Toiletries I've brought with: bandaids, bag balm (it's a VT tradition - a kind of antibiotic oitnment good for just about everything that ails you), q-tips, hydrogen peroxide (you can get a teeeny little bottle with, I think, it's 4 oz), sunscreen, this burn ointment called "Witch Vera" which works wonders on sunburn. As well as all the usual bath and teeth stuff.
DON'T FORGET TWEEZERS!! You'd be amazed at how handy these come in.

Have fun. We go again in October.

Tigger Mama

One of the other places to look for good meals to have in your room is in a camping supply store. They have a number of prepackaged meals that you "cook" by adding hot water. We happen to be a family of long-distance hikers, so this was something we just kind of did the first time we went. They're on the expensive side, but not as expensive as Disney.

And don't bother buying condiments. You can pick up packets of mustard, ketchup, relish, mayonnaise, sugar, creamer, etc. at the self help bars at most of the buffeterias at the resorts. May not be nice, but usually the first morning, I go get a Cafe Latte, and all that kind of stuff, along with some plastic silverware.

Have fun,

Tigger Mama

VWL -Oct '03
Poly and Wonder: Feb '03
CB - Feb '02
CB - Jan '01
CR - Jan '99
Offsite - Oct '89

Disneyland - more times than I can count growing up

Hey Mamarobin!

Bag Balm is also a tradition on our farm in CT!! I swear it's the only reason I survived into adulthood- LOL

I never leave home without it :)

We New Englanders RULE!! Now if they didn't mention "teats" on the side of the tin, even MORE people would bring it!! ROFL.

I'd love to hear more about your FW trip when you get back. When we retire, we're gonna get an RV and go.

We plan to do like the mom above and pack most of the treats from Costco in backpacks that the kids will carry on the plane- hey we're paying for five tickets- who says a 3, 5 & 7 year old can't tote a carry on! :) But one thing I am big on is fresh fruit and juices in the morning. I plan on packing a tupperware pitcher to use for juice- you can buy the room temperature concentrated juices and pack them as well.
Tell me who your limousine service is- I'd love to have a 30 minute stop- here's what I'd buy
a cheap styrofoam cooler to store the pitcher in
apples, bananas, grapes, carrots, celery (bringing two tupperware containers to store the carrots/celery)
milk, ice (just a 1/2 gallon for quick cereal the first few mornings)
cheese straws
pudding cups
HAve a great trip!
Tara

Don't forget baby wipes, even if you don't have a baby, they're great. We carry them in our backpacks so the kids can refresh themselves or just wash up after certain rides, using the restrooms or sticky snacks. I go nowhere without them.

Originally posted by lmhall2000
Tell me who your limousine service is- I'd love to have a 30 minute stop-

You would be talking about Tiffany Towncar. We have never used them ourselves, but have heard such great things about them that we are considering it for our upcoming trip. We'll be staying at the Contemporary...really no need for a rental car.

Here's a link for more info on their services.... Tiffany Towncar

Originally posted by lmhall2000

Tell me who your limousine service is- I'd love to have a 30 minute stop-

Most of the towncar services provide 30 minute grocery stops. In addition to Tiffany (as noted above), Yourride and FL Tours also offer 30 minute grocery stops.

As long as we're on the subject of Bag Balm, I used it on my 2 babies and never a speck of diaper rash, even though we used cloth diapers. Had several pediatricians who wanted to know our secret. Just be careful because it stains white clothing like crazy.

With regard to the shopping list, we used to buy cereal and Nutrigrain bars in advance to carry down, but now I am hearing that the bomb-sniffing dogs at airports may show a little too much interest in suitcases with food in them. We plan to avoid the hassle and do all shopping at Publix. I agree, the 30 minutes Tiffany gives is plenty of time. Who wants to spend more time, when Disney awaits?

I used to stock up on film at home, but now I buy that at Publix too, along with laundry detergent tablets. I'm definitely into "pack light mode" these days. Compared to Boston, the grocery prices in Florida aren't bad at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter