Have supermarkets started limiting meat by you?

The main grocery store we use has been limiting since March, and it was still hard to find the meat you wanted. Now I’m lucky if I can get any meat at all

There have been some limits here since March, although some of them were lifted. The limits I’ve seen have been on milk, eggs, meat, paper products, and cleaning products. I haven’t been into the grocery store, but we did not have any issue getting what we wanted from our store pick up except for milk. We only drink whole milk, and that seems to be the issue. They did have 2% and skim available. I haven’t needed to order any paper products, or cleaning products. So I don’t know what kind of response we would get with those.

My sams club has been since March. It used to be two beef products and one chicken but the last time I went they had no chicken which is worrying since that’s the only meat I eat.

There was plenty of chicken in the store this morning. Hardly any ground beef. They did have ground turkey. whutever.

I dunno. I'll have to ask my husband. We don't buy much meat from the grocery store. We did "up" our order from our local farmer (primarily because my son is living here full time until college resumes in person classes, and that causes us to use more than we had 'budgeted' to need), and he has switched to only accepting orders from current customers AND people referred by a current customer. HIs demand is through the roof. We've been buying from him for more than 10 years, so I feel confident in that supply. We process a lot of meat in plants in Minnesota, so I'm not expecting there to be too much of an issue for other people, but since I've not been in a store in almost two months, I really have no clue.

Haven't noticed any limiting at the WalMarts near me. Occasionally there will be slim pickings tho. Sunday I was in one WMart & there wasn't much in the meat section. Today I was at another WMart & there was plenty of everything. The International food store I go to sometimes had plenty of meat last week.
My son & his 3 teenage boys moved in with us back in January & he bought a mid size freezer then & filled it up with meats/frozen pizzas & stuff just before all chaos broke loose. That with what I had on hand will last a pretty good while, especially as they still mostly get take out instead of cooking what is here at home.

In NH there hasn't been any limits on meat. But, I knew from reading these boards that many areas around the country were.

Our news yesterday was dominated with news about the meat shortages, so today my husband left work early to stop at the grocery store. (Everywhere around us closes at 6:00, which is when husband gets out or work.) Sure enough Market Basket has signs up with limits of 2. The meat manager was nearby so my husband asked about the limits. He explained that it was a limit of 2 of each kind of meat. Ex. 2 hamburger and 2 pork chops and 2 stew beef. So husband grabbed 2 of a few varieties of meat. The bagger told my husband that he could only have two. The cashier said two of each was fine. My husband repeated what he had just been told by the meat manager. So, who knows what Market Basket is doing at this point?? Is it 2 packs of meat period or 2 of each kind?

But to answer your question OP, it was the first time we have had any limits here,

There haven't been previously but we are anticipating a disruption to our meat supply. Three local packing plants supplying Western Canada have been on shut-down for weeks due to outbreaks amongst the employees. There are tons of livestock available to process but no capacity to do so. It may result in beef shortages - how soon I'm not sure and I haven't been to the store yet this week.

Last edited:
The Kroger closest to us is limiting all meat and this morning they had virtually nothing. Just odds and ends but no beef or pork and little chicken. They even had almost no sausage of any kind.

I have not experienced that here (Montreal), I do my order Online, delivery from Wal-mart, but my meat I get from a local butcher, and just did that yesterday (delivery as well). My meat order is about once every 2 weeks, and quite large, as we are meat eaters, nothing was denied. I did find prices were a little higher than the norm, but that seems to be everything grocery related.

I haven't seen any meat limits here. But, I was only vaguely familiar with the names of the meat plants that have tried to shut down due to Coronavirus. Smithfield is vague to me because my local supermarket doesn't carry it. But, I've seen it in other parts of the country. I've only seen Tyson chicken around, not beef or pork. And my local supermarket prefers to carry Perdue chicken and Bell & Evans organic chicken, not Perdue.

As for beef, some parts of northern NYS are so rural that there are more cows than there are people in some areas. So, I don't think this state will see any problems with no beef, except at the big box stores like Costco that have contracts getting their meat from Smithfield & Tyson.

Shoprite of West Milford NJ no meat issues. Just shopped today after 10 days and stocked up. Frozen vegetables is limit 4 :(

Everything's been pretty well stocked.

Been that way since March here.
Same here...we've had limits since the beginning when the stores started getting emptied. Wasn't worrisome after awhile because there was still plenty every time I went to shop but I went to Costco this evening and couldn't find any chicken(not frozen) or ground turkey.

We've had limits on meat since March at most stores (Kroger, Publix, and Aldi). It has varied between 1-2 meat products total to 1-2 per kind of meat. Walmart is the exception and has only limited paper and cleaning supplies, but as a result their meat section has been virtually non-existent since all of this started. The other stores have had limited selection, no sales, and increased prices for meat.

Other shortages we've had have been soup, pasta sauce, frozen fries, garlic bread, and eggs. I was finally able to get Bisquick, Excedrin, and toilet paper today and it's the first time I've seen those products at all in stores in over a month (though still only a couple of each at a single store).

When this started March 13, there were limits on pretty much everything. 2 weeks ago it was a big deal that H-E-B had lifted all limits on food items. Last week they reinstated those limits; started with 2 packs of meat total (didn’t matter what it was; fresh cuts only not processed meats); by Saturday it was 5 total. Not sure what it is now, but there have been like 5 cases reported at the processing plant here so that could make and impact again.
I placed a curbside order when the limits were lifted over a week ago. They honored my original order which was more than 5 fresh meat items. I was so shocked when my husband brought the groceries home.

No limitations on meat purchases that I'm aware of that isn't the norm when local stores are having a sale. Still I'm not seeing much meat around that's a decent to my mind price and lots of missing holes at the meat counters. I noted a lack of beef, pork, and whole chickens at different local markets although not necessarily the same ones missing the exact same items.

Sales on meat in general have been pretty scarce the last month or so, and fish prices higher than normal.
I'm keeping my freezer filled as I think this might be a constant in the months to come. It's still 3/4 full since being completely filled February so that's a good thing. I did order a few chickens and a pork roast from a local purveyor on line though. Should arrive before the week is finished.

Last edited:
Aldi's has been limiting meats here to 2 per customer for the last month or so. As of last Saturday, Walmart had no limit signs up, but also didn't have as much meat as usual in the case. They did have a few whole chickens, plenty of ground chicken, a few pork roasts, but not a lot of ground beef, and not many steaks or roasts. Guess I will find out Saturday what if they have imposed any limits, and if there is anything to choose from. I don't go in Martins (Giant) often, and never go in Weis, so I have no idea if they have meat and/or limits.

It has been on and off since March. Sometimes limit 2 total, sometimes limit 2 of each kind, sometimes no limit. I didn't buy meat at all last week so I don't know how well stocked they were, and haven't gone yet this week, so I'm not sure what to expect. I hope to get something this week, but we'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter