High School student arrestsed for bringing homemade clock to school.

Seriously? How does thinking the parents of the child were hoping for a story make us more paranoid than all the people who think this child has been targeted and traumatized for life simply because he is Muslim? Bolded above - true. Pot/Kettle/Black

:laughing: Sure ok. If you genuinely believe that there are not plenty of Americans who have irrational fear of Muslims in this county, then I have a bridge for sale that you might be interested in.

This kid did not bring a gun, or even a pop tart shaped into a gun. He did not bring anything that was dangerous, nor did he try to pass off the item as dangerous. He did not wave the clock around threatening people or attempting to disrupt a class. He showed it to one teacher (a subject specific teacher too) and then when asked showed it to another teacher. Oooooh, so scary.

I also love the insinuation that he did not say enough or was trying to be obtuse or hide something when questioned. He told them what it was... a clock, just a clock. Ok, you and other posters want to believe that this was a grand plan of the parents and Ahmed, rather than simply another story of an inept school administration in a town that is run by a Mayor who is known for her prejudice. Call me a black kettle pot all you want, doesn't bother me in the least. Still does not negate my point that if your scenario is true, then the admin and the police all were played the fool. Either way: stupid over-reaction or being played for a patsy... they still look like idiots.

Oh my... this is too funny... you are all serious. I never ceased to be amazed at the level of fear that perpetuates out society. Of course, now it all makes perfect sense:rotfl2: Even if ( and this is a super paranoid stretch of an if ) you are all right, and this little 14 year old masterminded the whole thing... what does it say about all the idiots who fell for his Dr. Evil plot: hook, line, and sinker. So glad they are running a school and a police department.

No I don't think " this little 14 Year old masterminded the whole thing". His father, who ran for President of Sudan twice, did. I would love for you to express how any of three quotes you used demonstrates " a level of fear that perpetuates out (our) society. It's a shame that people that got duped where some of the leaders of our society. You know, those that don't look at all facts before they pass judgment. I find it sad that people tripped all over themselves trying to protect this kid because he was a Muslim. There are always two sides to a story. Just ask Dorian Johnson.

:laughing: Sure ok. If you genuinely believe that there are not plenty of Americans who have irrational fear of Muslims in this county, then I have a bridge for sale that you might be interested in.

This kid did not bring a gun, or even a pop tart shaped into a gun. He did not bring anything that was dangerous, nor did he try to pass off the item as dangerous. He did not wave the clock around threatening people or attempting to disrupt a class. He showed it to one teacher (a subject specific teacher too) and then when asked showed it to another teacher. Oooooh, so scary.

I also love the insinuation that he did not say enough or was trying to be obtuse or hide something when questioned. He told them what it was... a clock, just a clock. Ok, you and other posters want to believe that this was a grand plan of the parents and Ahmed, rather than simply another story of an inept school administration in a town that is run by a Mayor who is known for her prejudice. Call me a black kettle pot all you want, doesn't bother me in the least. Still does not negate my point that if your scenario is true, then the admin and the police all were played the fool. Either way: stupid over-reaction or being played for a patsy... they still look like idiots.

??? You're sure purring a lot of words in my mouth. You are very worked up, aren't you? Your fervor is exactly what makes me think there might be something to the idea that the parents were trying to set up a situation to gain attention. I simply don't see the hate in this situation that you do. Kid brings unusual looking clock, misunderstanding ensues, misunderstanding is solved, over. Somehow this story circulated and turned into a national incident - someone chose to circulate it.

I do think they "fell for it." They felt compelled to remove Ahmed from the school for some reason. I think they erred out of caution, due to things that were said or done and/or due to some zero tolerance policy. I have trouble believing they are all Islamaphobes, despite the snarky media attitude towards Texas.

I've only read text articles-no video-but I've been curious about the lack of interviews with other students at the school. Has anyone seen any?

Never mind.

I think there were many assumptions made about what Ahmed said and did, based on reports from people who also did not know. I read maybe 5-6 articles from the mainstream media (plus a couple geek threads on the clock) and only then understood what may be fact and what may be assumption in the story. I consider myself pretty logical, and I had no preconceived notions (other than skepticism about the inventiveness of the clock), and it is hard for me not to believe there was not some level of intentional provocation. Ahmed himself said in an interview that he knew the clock as presented would be suspicious before he even brought it to school. The first teacher told him the same thing. It was the first day of school after 9/11. It was not an assigned project. It all seemed like too much coincidence, even before I learned more about his father and about some of the recent issues in the community (a state bill to make religious tribunals non-binding).

I was mostly interested in the story because of the clock, and the attention it was getting, so I kept reading. To be honest, I'm pretty over it. I am in an engineering professional society, and I judge a couple science fairs and an engineering day competition every year. The kids are generally the same age as Ahmed to 1-2 years older. I see brilliant stuff. It is a little sad to me that Ahmed has received so much attention from technical and political leaders for his "cool clock," when the kids I judge are lucky to get $50-100 for truly marvelous endeavors.

No I don't think " this little 14 Year old masterminded the whole thing". His father, who ran for President of Sudan twice, did. I would love for you to express how any of three quotes you used demonstrates " a level of fear that perpetuates out (our) society. It's a shame that people that got duped where some of the leaders of our society. You know, those that don't look at all facts before they pass judgment. I find it sad that people tripped all over themselves trying to protect this kid because he was a Muslim. There are always two sides to a story. Just ask Dorian Johnson.
People are tripping all over themselves because he did nothing wrong

I think there were many assumptions made about what Ahmed said and did, based on reports from people who also did not know. I read maybe 5-6 articles from the mainstream media (plus a couple geek threads on the clock) and only then understood what may be fact and what may be assumption in the story. I consider myself pretty logical, and I had no preconceived notions (other than skepticism about the inventiveness of the clock), and it is hard for me not to believe there was not some level of intentional provocation. Ahmed himself said in an interview that he knew the clock as presented would be suspicious before he even brought it to school. The first teacher told him the same thing. It was the first day of school after 9/11. It was not an assigned project. It all seemed like too much coincidence, even before I learned more about his father and about some of the recent issues in the community (a state bill to make religious tribunals non-binding).

I was mostly interested in the story because of the clock, and the attention it was getting, so I kept reading. To be honest, I'm pretty over it. I am in an engineering professional society, and I judge a couple science fairs and an engineering day competition every year. The kids are generally the same age as Ahmed to 1-2 years older. I see brilliant stuff. It is a little sad to me that Ahmed has received so much attention from technical and political leaders for his "cool clock," when the kids I judge are lucky to get $50-100 for truly marvelous endeavors.
Are the kids you are judging leaving the science fair in handcuffs and with a suspension? Maybe if that was happening they also would get more attention from the national stage?

People are tripping all over themselves because he did nothing wrong

If so, it is not unlike thousands of people every day who get themselves into situations that might be misunderstood. The fact that he is Muslim doesn't exclude him from that phenomenon. You bring something that could be seen as parts of a bomb to school, you get questioned. You shouldn't be given different treatment because of your religious beliefs. Isn't that what people want?

I think it is valid to assume that the school authorities and police did not believe the clock was a bomb, given that the school was nor evacuated.

and we do not need to assume that Ahmed never claimed the clock was anything other than a clock--the police have stated that much.

I don't understand why that would result in the student being arrested no matter what sort of agenda the police or school may know his family to possibly have. In fact, if anything, if police know the father is likely to try to make an issue of it, hen arresting the 14 year old who brought in a non dangerous, not prohibited item and was totally truthful about what it was seems like playing into the dad's hand.

Is dad a jerk, hping to create a scenario which will allow him to scream racism (based on what is said here, I have not read the article)? Yep.
Did Ahmed do anything illegal or threatening or which any of the adults involved in deciding to arrest him believed to be a real threat at the time? Apparently not.

So I am back to, why arrest him?

So they thought it was a bomb, but never called the bomb squad? instead 4 police officers came and still the bomb squad was not called. The device was in school all day? They were concerned it was a bomb but never called anyone who could confirm that thought.

I am all for being cautious...paranoid is a whole different thing. We have become paranoid and judgmental of everyone and everything that doesn't look (to us) like it should belong. we don't need any enemies from the outside. We are our own worst enemy.

Oh, I see how this is pivoting now.

So in other threads immigrants are supposed to come to America, learn the language, learn American ways, become productive members of society. So somebody does that but keeps following his religion (or are only Christian allowed to do that) and has not completely turned his back on his homeland. The Presidental "runs" are websites from 2010, and 2015, not actually on the actual ballot, 30 years after he left. He supports the repeal of laws within Sudan that prohibit people from converting FROM (not to) Islam to other religions, and other measures that would increase freedom in Sudan. He said "All laws that restrict freedoms will be abolished,” said Mohamed El-Hassan who is running on the National Reform Party (NRP) ticket. The presidential candidate also vowed to ratify all international treaties that deals with human rights. He accused the current Sudanese government of encouraging fundamentalists. http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article54000

I thought people wanted Muslims to stand up for more Western style beliefs and against the radicals who are subverting Islam?

But now he will be vilified.

We've seen this before concerning civil rights. Rosa Parks knew what she was doing, and what the NAACP "needed" and I'm sure if we look back at other civil rights incidents we'd find that these sort of tactics to elevate the fight to a bigger stage, have been used before, (if that is even what happened here) and we've become a better nation because of it, because of the bigger discussions that followed.

Last edited:
I like Ahmed's Statement when he heard President Obama responded. "I didn't think it would go that far"

His Sister making sure the NASA Tee shirt was seen

Home made clock goes off in Class, Boy Genius can't set Alarm

Too many problems with this story.

conspiracy.jpg

I like Ahmed's Statement when he heard President Obama responded. "I didn't think it would go that far"

His Sister making sure the NASA Tee shirt was seen

Home made clock goes off in Class, Boy Genius can't set Alarm

Too many problems with this story.
Ha ha ha ha ha. Thanks for the laugh.

I could like SugerMags conspiracy picture too. Only I see my side as sane and logical and her side as ignorant, fear-mongering lunacy.

Oooh - someone got in trouble for bringing something that looked like ingredients for a bomb to school - it must be racism!

Was this posted yet?

11014959_874753755944144_8242323113808971508_n.jpg

And no, I'm not racist.

I'm not sure if I understand this meme. Is it purporting to show that the picture on the left somehow resembles the picture on the right? Well, I guess both are in rectangular boxes and have circuit boards…but the simplicity of the circuit and the big LED panel installed onto the lid of the box on the left makes it look like a digital clock to me.

It's also a bit misleading to blow up the 'suitcase' on the left so that it looks roughly the same size as the suitcase on the right, since it's only about the size of a large pencil case (look at the plug on the right side of the picture if you're in doubt).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter