Homecoming

diberry

DIS Veteran
Just got back from Anaheim (we're in UK). I will write a report of sorts - we LOVED Disneyland!!! - but the idea of "Homecoming" got me a bit puzzled and I wonder if anyone can explain it to me. Is the celebration called the "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" because Disneyland is our home in the sense of a welcoming, happy and loving place? Or does it have other meanings? This may sound stupid but I have no idea what a "Homecoming Queen" is or why it's called that (we hear it a lot on American TV shows) but we have no equivalent so I'd be grateful for some enlightenment please!!

HI!

I guess the best way to explain "Homecoming" is that it's about going back to your roots. In high schools and colleges homecoming is the one night when everyone turns out to celebrate their school spirit. It is a big night for alumni to return to the school and reconnect with their roots. Of course the whole event usually centers around a football, or in some cases, basketball game; followed by a big dance. At half-time they introduced the "court" and announce the "Homecoming Queen"----you know, who the most popular girl in school is. ;)

So, since Disneyland is where it all began, where the parks are concerned, they are calling it a homecoming in the hopes that the 50th festivities will bring people back to the park who might not have been there in a long time.

Hope that helps a little :sunny:

Lisa

Wow, Lisa, that is such a good explanation. Thank you so much - it really makes sense to me now!!! :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter