Hotel recommendation - pools that don't have a ton of ball throwing going on

I think what makes the ball throwing a "thing" in a pool is idea of making a diving catch without landing on the ground.

That said, it's obvious that people should be respectful and hopefully if someone hits someone accidentally they'd at least apologize and be more careful.

By the way, a soft squishy ball that is soaked with water can hurt if thrown hard.

The fact is, a pool is for a lot more than swimming. In fact, few people actually swim in a hotel pool. Like a lot of things you have to count on basic human decency.

IME it's often adults, either only adults or adults playing with their children. Again, many do it without causing any problems. It's the ones that throw hard balls, or throw across the entire pool length that annoyed us. Although I will say that I have to kind of watch myself to not get hypocritical - because when I see others throwing a ball even politely I will inwardly roll my eyes and try to avoid them, but if my kids want to throw a ball (beachball is what we have, for politeness and ease or transport, or we have used those small squishy water balls once or twice) I let them. My DH will throw a ball around with the kids, but they stand close to each other and stop if the pool gets busy. I just don't want to be "those people." Makes me wonder what else we might inadvertently do that someone is starting a thread about somewhere right now!!

Ditto on both. We watch our kids like hawks, but others might turn theirs out like free range chickens. I am always having to count. 1 2 3. 1 2 3. 1 2...where’s 3? Ok, by the slide. Etc etc. If one of our kids needs adjusting, it happens.

I’m sure there’s a thread about parents not taking their eyes off kids....

It's one of the reasons we enjoy the main pool at Jambo House, Animal Kingdom Lodge. There is the pool, then chairs tables around the pool, and then a fence/tree barrier, with more chairs and tables behind that. You are definitely at the pool, but not directly beside the pool. We find it to be a bit quieter and separated from the kids and the party music that goes on in the afternoon in the pool. But since you have to be staying at AKL to enjoy that, I'm not sure if it will help much!

So sorry to hear your issues with this. Some folks can be in a pool full of people, but only see their immediate group when playing a game like that - like no one else exists in the pool but them. That's when people get hit, and there are no apologies or attempts to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

My son and I tossed a ball at the POP last Summer but we are very respectful and actually quit when the pool started to fill up. Ours looked like a baseball but it was a "nerf" ball, essentially a sponge. The lifeguard asked us if it was a real baseball as we approached, which was totally cool, and I said no it is a nerf ball and he just said ok, just checking. I can see where there would be concern with throwing a real football.

I imagine this is where the gray area is. Most people are respectful, in my opinion, but some people don’t want to see it, at all.

They should rope off a zone called the ball free zone. No tossing and no men wearing speedos.

I think throwing a ball around in a pool is fun. However, I won't do it in a crowded pool, and I won't go stand by people and start tossing.

But yeah, pools are meant for more than floating around in. Both sides need to be courteous.

I can’t say we haven’t hit anyone but we certainly try not to. And move around as the pool gets more crowded And it is soft anyway. Throwing a ball makes the pool enjoyable for us.... .
I had no idea these two activities were married together for so many people. To each their own, I won't judge, but it is a puzzle. I enjoy tossing a ball around, and I enjoy swimming but playing catch in a pool never occurred to me. Like two decent athletes standing still tossing a ball back and forth ... cool, why the pool? Two, only adequate athletes pitching a ball back and forth means if the toss is more than a little off it's just going to be missed.

I really don’t understand how it makes anyone else time in the pool not enjoyable because we choose to enjoy our time together and throw a soft ball around.
Here's how... I don't want to get hit by your ball! I go to the pool to swim, not dodge your ball. You already said you've hit people before. I don't care if it's a soft ball, it shouldn't be smashing into me. You're choosing to play catch in an environment that severely restricts your mobility, you are simply not in control of that ball once it leaves your hand.

I can't imagine you would like me and my kid to toss grapes back and forth over your head while you try to eat dinner at a restaurant. No, you would prefer to eat your dinner and not have to worry about getting pelted by a grape. Even a soft grape.

If you've got a stretch of pool between you and your partner that's empty of people and you can keep it within that lane, I don't have a problem. The second a ball wizzes past my head, or hits the water close to me, I'm going to say something.

I pull my kids out of the pool if they are throwing water around in a way that might hit others, this really impresses me as surreal.

My husband and I enjoy throwing a ball in the pool. We bring a couple of the soft squishy cloth balls. When you squeeze the Wster out they weigh nothing, We try to find places where there are as few people as possiblee. I can’t say we haven’t hit anyone but we certainly try not to. And move around as the pool gets more crowded And it is soft anyway. Throwing a ball makes the pool enjoyable for us. I have seen people throwing harder balls and I agree that is unacceptable. Our fav pool is OKW and the lifeguards have asked People to stop throwing if the ball is hard. I really don’t understand how it makes anyone else time in the pool not enjoyable because we choose to enjoy our time together and throw a soft ball around. The only pool that doesn’t allow ball throwing is aulanI.
This. This is exactly why I don't like balls in the pool. Your game should not encroach on others use of the pool. I don't care how soft your ball is -- I still don't want to be hit by it!

The time of year and resort can increase/decrease your chances, time of day will as well. No guarantees but you can get better odds. Coronado holds a decent chance at avoiding the issue. AKL too. They generally have a more relaxed pool atmosphere due to age groups and interests. Caribbean Beach and AoA Nemo pool can be rowdier and expected.

OK by me if there's enough room to play without crossing directly over or being too close to others. Nobody else should bumped into or bipped by the ball. If it became annoyingly unavoidable, I'd either find something else to do or dive catch that ball. Don't worry 😆 I won't pop it or light it on fire.

Personal space has many interpretations and it carries over to shared public areas. The pool's an extension of 'fill in all available space' perceptions. Some people won't encroach your cubic yard of air, others fill it ALL in, lol. No right or wrong I guess, just differences in comfort levels.

I had no idea these two activities were married together for so many people. To each their own, I won't judge, but it is a puzzle. I enjoy tossing a ball around, and I enjoy swimming but playing catch in a pool never occurred to me. Like two decent athletes standing still tossing a ball back and forth ... cool, why the pool? Two, only adequate athletes pitching a ball back and forth means if the toss is more than a little off it's just going to be missed.

Here's how... I don't want to get hit by your ball! I go to the pool to swim, not dodge your ball. You already said you've hit people before. I don't care if it's a soft ball, it shouldn't be smashing into me. You're choosing to play catch in an environment that severely restricts your mobility, you are simply not in control of that ball once it leaves your hand.

I can't imagine you would like me and my kid to toss grapes back and forth over your head while you try to eat dinner at a restaurant. No, you would prefer to eat your dinner and not have to worry about getting pelted by a grape. Even a soft grape.

If you've got a stretch of pool between you and your partner that's empty of people and you can keep it within that lane, I don't have a problem. The second a ball wizzes past my head, or hits the water close to me, I'm going to say something.

I pull my kids out of the pool if they are throwing water around in a way that might hit others, this really impresses me as surreal.
This. This is exactly why I don't like balls in the pool. Your game should not encroach on others use of the pool. I don't care how soft your ball is -- I still don't want to be hit by it!

Yep to that!! Even professional athletes miss the ball when trying to catch one. Doing something you enjoy in the pool stops being ok if you are occasionally going to hit someone who is not participating in your game of catch and who is just there to enjoy the pool - they signed up to swim not to get hit with something.

I stop enjoying being in the pool when a ball is wizzing by my head. I don't like to worry about getting hit by something when i'm trying to enjoy the pool - and I think "soft" can be subjective on the person whose on the receiving end of getting hit.

I have found the complete opposite to be true, at least outside of the pool areas since I don't spend much time there. A couple months ago while walking to the Beach Club lobby via the main path coming from the boat dock I was hit in the bony part of my shoulder by a baseball thrown by a father practicing with his teenage son who seemed to play at a club level. Not only was that baseball inches from my skull which would have sent me to the hospital at least and potentially killed me, but I get around using a wheelchair or crutches and injuring my arm caused me to be in pain the rest of my trip and caused me to cut back on distance I could travel and the attractions I could do. There was nobody in the lobby I could report this to without waiting in line but on the way back through the lobby around half an hour later the father had switched to tossing a football on the porch with another of his kids...right in front of the main doors! This time one of the captains wasn't busy and he went out to talk with them and asked if I needed medical attention. I did ask at the front desk later and management's idea of handling it is that guests can throw whatever hard objects they want anywhere they want, even along the main pathways and in front of the main doors and if a guest gets injured they will speak to the guests throwing objects but if a guest gets injured oh well, it is not Disney's fault or responsibility. They will call medical for you though, I'm guessing at your own expense.

So sorry to hear that, that's terrible! I :( hope you e-mail guest services (if you haven't already I think you should just to repot your experience), that's not ok as it impacted your trip. I think the hotel is responsible to a degree if guests are doing something dangerous out in the open like that / throwing something hard like that in a non-designated area, I mean there are always cast members walking around. Someone should have told them you can't throw a baseball so close to a main walking path - common sense.

I stop enjoying being in the pool when a ball is wizzing by my head. I don't like to worry about getting hit by something when i'm trying to enjoy the pool - and I think "soft" can be subjective on the person whose on the receiving end of getting hit.
I'm not sure what y'all think about the rec staff who use balls as part of the games they play in the pool. I guess those who want no play to infringe on their pool space are against the games period? They do take over large areas of the pool, in my view. The staff doesn't not do it just because there are others around. And nonparticipants do get hit with the ball. The games I've seen are basically keep the ball going in the air as long as they can and when you are talking about little kids volleying a ball around, it doesn't always stay where just those kids are. It goes all over the pool.

Last edited:
I have to agree with this. It also seems to be a guy thing. I've never seen a group of women hucking a ball to each other in a crowded pool.

I don't know why, but this really struck a chord with me, every time I read it I can't stop chuckling. I guess I'm picturing either 3 middle aged moms or 3 perfect body young women with a hard football winging it around the entire Oasis pool, and you're right, it just seems so unlikely and absurd to me (not to say girls can't play ball, don't get all over me for that, just a funny thought for me!!).

Ssoooo... I’m one of those women that play catch in the pools. As a matter of fact, the last 3 trips, my friend and her daughter played along with my daughter and myself (along with our other family members.) We always bring a soft ball (or small inflatable beach ball) - and as a matter of fact, each time a lifeguard checked to make sure the ball was soft enough before he’d let us continue to play. Also, we always include other people in the pool (adults and kids), who’d like to play as well. Always a lot of fun. We try our best to stay in the corner of the pools not to bother anyone.

If we are airing grievances, I guess what annoys me is people that try to swim laps in a crowded pool full of kids swimming and playing, and adults lounging to cool off. Really grinds my gears. It’s not the YMCA. Grrrr.

Obviously, that’s a joke. But halfway serious. I would imagine some resorts might have pools more suitable for lap swimming. I don’t think wdw resort pools at peak times are really for butterfly stroke time trials. If swimming laps is a huge deal, I’d research the best times of day to do it, or the best pools for it.

There are plenty of times when we go that we are the only people at the pool. It’s not unheard of.

I don't go to the main pool at a resort when they are doing the afternoon kids activities. That's the time for young kids to play and their parents to relax and watch the fun. WDW didn't do afternoon pool activities as much when my kids were little.
Full disclosure: Mr. Lotsohugginbear will play catch, throw the kids, sink things for the kids to find, swim laps, do butterfly stroke in the pool. He is super annoying, and I used to go to the pool when the kids were little mostly to rein in his behavior. Now that my kids are in their twenties, we enjoy a peaceful swim time and maybe a drink. My husband is very disappointed by this, I'm sure. Well, someday there will be grandkids and he can return to his rambunctious pool behavior! 😇

My boys are 5&8 and playing catch in the pool is their favorite pool activity. We don't bring balls to Disney with us, so when they play it's with whatever balls provided by the resort. They play in the shallower part bc they are short lol. They know not to throw it at other people, and we don't do it in the quiet pools. I understand it would be frustrating if you kept getting hit by a ball when you were trying to relax, and we take the ball away if they can't control it. But we paid the same money as everyone else to be there, and my kids have as much right to have fun as you do. Again, let me stress, we do NOT let them just throw it all crazy hitting everyone, (occasionally there's an overthrow or a missed catch certainly) and we teach them to be respectful of others, but I'm not going to tell them they can't play with the toys provided by the resort bc someone else might not like it.

I have never seen a pool where folks weren’t having fun. Including ball throwing. Good luck finding one. I have seen it at every resort we have stayed at. IMHO. It’s a non issue. I know some folks don’t like it. But it will never stop happening. Disney is not going to stop something like that.
Folks throw balls in pools. Just the way it is. It’s a pool activity. If one doesn’t like normal pool fun. ....don’t get in the pool.

Last edited:
I love and hate threads like this at the same time.

Love, because people feel comfortable expressing opinions.

Hate because some people end up coming across as judgemental - though perhaps unintentionally.

So the summary of this in my mind is that ball throwing is and always was a thing in pools. But there are times that people get hit - which quite naturally is a negative experience.

Pool police? Well, yeah. Isn't that part of a lifeguards job? To "police" disruptive / dangerous activity? The question of course is what constitutes disruptive / dangerous. To the extreme - we'd (hopefully) all agree running around the pool edges - especially with small children walking around - would qualify.

Ball throwing? It's not tough in my mind to think of situations where it COULD qualify. That's all the OP was saying (I think).

But to me the best comment was this one:
"But while I love Disney, its the most unrelaxing "vacation" I can think of. "

Winner!

(EDIT - I don't know about anyone else - but I just realized one of the ads in the middle of the responses for me is "EZ Aqua Pool and Patio - Get your inground pool pricing HERE!" Scary how good analytics - AI is!):)

But to me the best comment was this one:
"But while I love Disney, its the most unrelaxing "vacation" I can think of. "

You're welcome🤣
But for real, both times we've went I've come home and felt like I needed another week off to recover from my "vacation". Our boys are 5 & 8, and have the kind of energy that makes me wonder why people feel like their kids need a stroller at Disney lol. They don't nap (even at Disney) because they never stop moving long enough to fall asleep. Even when we've gone back to the resort and made them lay in bed for an hour in a dark room because they are being overtired jerks, they just flip flop around and stare at me lol. Last trip we got home from the airport at midnight. My kids stayed awake on the plane and the almost 2 hr drive home, until the last 10 min of the drive. They were up at 7 am and my oldest had the nerve to ask "what fun thing are we doing today?" On our MK day, which was our 1st day, we were at the park from 8 am-fireworks and they hung in there for it all. I will say our last day was HS and we were there at 630 (stupid star wars making me get up so early). The oldest didn't want to ride RnRC so he waited with dad and since he had to sit and wait, he fell asleep on a concrete retaining wall lol. Just laid down and passed out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter