Hotel recommendation - pools that don't have a ton of ball throwing going on

(EDIT - I don't know about anyone else - but I just realized one of the ads in the middle of the responses for me is "EZ Aqua Pool and Patio - Get your inground pool pricing HERE!" Scary how good analytics - AI is!):)

I have had some pretty sketchy, yet funny ads on here 😂 I love refreshing just to see what will pop up next 😝

What next, kids acting like kids at a place marketed to kids? Oh wait...
Right? How dare kids act like kids in family places... SMH. If I wanted a vacation where I could expect not to be annoyed by kids acting like kids, Id go to a Sandals or other adults only resort.

Right? How dare kids act like kids in family places... SMH. If I wanted a vacation where I could expect not to be annoyed by kids acting like kids, Id go to a Sandals or other adults only resort.
Yep. Agreed !
When we goto Disney or even Vegas. It’s like. Ok. This won’t be a quiet peaceful vacation. And I’m ok with that. I like seeing people have fun. And if I get hit with a tennis ball in a pool. I throw back. It’s not an issue to me. The sun will still rise.

I'm not sure what y'all think about the rec staff who use balls as part of the games they play in the pool. I guess those who want no play to infringe on their pool space are against the games period?

I think LG or CM initiated activities are the best time for throwing things in and around a pool. It lets other swimmers know when, where, and for how long they will need to be more cautious of flying objects.

And I'm not against people playing games and pool shenanigans in general if the area is not crowded to the point that your game is likely to impact (literally) other guests.

Here are some actual pool hijinks I have witnessed myself. I'm curious to find people who would not be bothered by them
  1. A tween aged child would spin in place and then at 'random' chop his hand into the water to send the largest splash possible which ever way he happened to be facing. I say 'random' because he had a knack for dropping large handfuls of water on guests sunbathing well outside the pool. Splashing must be every bit as much a normal pool activity as playing catch right?
  2. A group of children wearing float vests were playing together near a slide exit and when one of the shorter ones got tired of swimming against the current she would grab on to me or my friend. As it happens my friend is a bit on the frail side and easily jostled, she's fine in the pool up until the point a stranger's kid puts her in a half nelson. When I finally figured out who the child's parent was, someone dozing a few rows of lounges back, she refused to do anything except say, "It's fine" over and over. If being smacked in the face by a stranger's wet nerf ball is normal, getting a slippery hug by a stranger's kid should be fine?
  3. I was hit by a family's baby. A large, seemed extended, family were playing in the pool and the adults were throwing the children up and letting them splash down. Good fun, they were keeping it within their group and I had absolutely no issue. Then what seemed like an older cousin or younger uncle got involved. This man looked like he wrestled moose for a living. After a couple of the kids got tossed, again mostly within their own little space, it was the toddler's turn; 18 months old tops, a baby. I was probably 15 feet or more away from them, I don't think I was ever even hit by their splashing. This guy lobbed the baby hard enough that it hit me in the back. I felt the face of another persons baby, smash into my back. the whole family found this hilarious and now I'm wondering if I really was a curmudgeon for getting staff to break this up.
  4. A grown man, whom I have never met, swam between my legs trying to get to a dive-and-retrieve toy. Now I have never told this story to anyone and get the response of, "Well people swimming right up against you is a totally normal pool occurrence." and yet getting beaned in the face by a toy is dismissed as just something you sign up for when you swim sometimes.
  5. A child was waving his towel around outside the pool. He held it at about the halfway part and he was ... I don't know, just waving it about. He didn't hit anyone and he seemed to be making a minor effort not to, but he came close a couple times as people milled past to get into and out of the pool. The LG immediately shut that down, located his mom, and gave the kid an "official" warning. So I'm thinking back on that now and if I had to choose between getting whapped in the face by a tea-towel sized section of dry pool towel or a wet sponge from 20 feet away, there would be no hesitation.

It's like most people are on board with the idea of keeping your hands to yourselves but put them in the pool and they're fine with throwing things.

I think LG or CM initiated activities are the best time for throwing things in and around a pool. It lets other swimmers know when, where, and for how long they will need to be more cautious of flying objects.

And I'm not against people playing games and pool shenanigans in general if the area is not crowded to the point that your game is likely to impact (literally) other guests.

Here are some actual pool hijinks I have witnessed myself. I'm curious to find people who would not be bothered by them
  1. A tween aged child would spin in place and then at 'random' chop his hand into the water to send the largest splash possible which ever way he happened to be facing. I say 'random' because he had a knack for dropping large handfuls of water on guests sunbathing well outside the pool. Splashing must be every bit as much a normal pool activity as playing catch right?
  2. A group of children wearing float vests were playing together near a slide exit and when one of the shorter ones got tired of swimming against the current she would grab on to me or my friend. As it happens my friend is a bit on the frail side and easily jostled, she's fine in the pool up until the point a stranger's kid puts her in a half nelson. When I finally figured out who the child's parent was, someone dozing a few rows of lounges back, she refused to do anything except say, "It's fine" over and over. If being smacked in the face by a stranger's wet nerf ball is normal, getting a slippery hug by a stranger's kid should be fine?
  3. I was hit by a family's baby. A large, seemed extended, family were playing in the pool and the adults were throwing the children up and letting them splash down. Good fun, they were keeping it within their group and I had absolutely no issue. Then what seemed like an older cousin or younger uncle got involved. This man looked like he wrestled moose for a living. After a couple of the kids got tossed, again mostly within their own little space, it was the toddler's turn; 18 months old tops, a baby. I was probably 15 feet or more away from them, I don't think I was ever even hit by their splashing. This guy lobbed the baby hard enough that it hit me in the back. I felt the face of another persons baby, smash into my back. the whole family found this hilarious and now I'm wondering if I really was a curmudgeon for getting staff to break this up.
  4. A grown man, whom I have never met, swam between my legs trying to get to a dive-and-retrieve toy. Now I have never told this story to anyone and get the response of, "Well people swimming right up against you is a totally normal pool occurrence." and yet getting beaned in the face by a toy is dismissed as just something you sign up for when you swim sometimes.
  5. A child was waving his towel around outside the pool. He held it at about the halfway part and he was ... I don't know, just waving it about. He didn't hit anyone and he seemed to be making a minor effort not to, but he came close a couple times as people milled past to get into and out of the pool. The LG immediately shut that down, located his mom, and gave the kid an "official" warning. So I'm thinking back on that now and if I had to choose between getting whapped in the face by a tea-towel sized section of dry pool towel or a wet sponge from 20 feet away, there would be no hesitation.

It's like most people are on board with the idea of keeping your hands to yourselves but put them in the pool and they're fine with throwing things.
Maybe a public pool. Which is basically what on property pools are. Sort of. You should not partake in. I guess I just get in the resort pools and enjoy that. I have never left thinking...... that was bad or wrong. Just fun is what we have at Disney.
I would never intentionally touch some one. But i have been touched I assume unintentionally. It’s a crowded pool. Gonna happen. Gonna get hit by a ball or etc. Just goes with it.

I think it's worth it for you to avoid the pool. It seems to really put a damper on your trips.
Honestly, I'd let that all roll right off my back. It's part of the "price" of going to a public and crowded place.

I would suggest Grand Floridian. Their quiet pool is huge, their pools are so much less crowded, I think due to the amount of kids at the GF is much less than the other deluxes around.

I think it's worth it for you to avoid the pool. It seems to really put a damper on your trips.
Honestly, I'd let that all roll right off my back. It's part of the "price" of going to a public and crowded place.

I disagree. I believe a quiet pool should be relaxing and ball playing should not be allowed.

Last edited:
I get the roughhouse play at the big theme pools, but I enjoy a more quiet pool time, therefore “ quiet pools” should be just that, relaxing, calm atmosphere. I believe that should be an expectation when choosing a “quiet pool”

It is a quiet pool as it lacks water features and games. That is all.

I get the roughhouse play at the big theme pools, but I enjoy a more quiet pool time, therefore “ quiet pools” should be just that, relaxing, calm atmosphere. I believe that should be an expectation when choosing a “quiet pool”

We call it the main pool and the other pools. Lol.

We find most of the ball play happens at the other pools because there are fewer people and there are no lifeguards telling you what to do. For the most part, the main pools are just too busy for ball play.

Not a lot gets this board heated, BUT BOY do discussions of pool-related behavior trigger this board haha

1. I was hit by a family's baby. A large, seemed extended, family were playing in the pool and the adults were throwing the children up and letting them splash down. Good fun, they were keeping it within their group and I had absolutely no issue. Then what seemed like an older cousin or younger uncle got involved. This man looked like he wrestled moose for a living. After a couple of the kids got tossed, again mostly within their own little space, it was the toddler's turn; 18 months old tops, a baby. I was probably 15 feet or more away from them, I don't think I was ever even hit by their splashing. This guy lobbed the baby hard enough that it hit me in the back. I felt the face of another persons baby, smash into my back. the whole family found this hilarious and now I'm wondering if I really was a curmudgeon for getting staff to break this up.

Maybe you should start a new thread about people throwing babies in the pool! We can see how contentious that gets! I got a big kick out of your post!
I've been thinking about my negativity in some of these pool threads. I have had some great experiences with other guests at WDW pools. It's fun to sit in the hot tub and talk with strangers about the commonality of the WDW experience. I like hearing how other folk's day went in the parks. At the pools, I've met people from all over the country and from all over the world. It's fun to see families letting off some steam after a long day in the parks. And, like Cobright, I've seen some hilarious things.
When I want quiet pool time, I go first thing in the morning. I love, love the GF courtyard pool when I am staying @
Sugar Loaf CL. I have an early breakfast and head over to the pool with a book and a coffee. Fun to enjoy the pool and watch the GF wake up. Saratoga Springs has great quiet pools for relaxing and hot tubbing. My favorite there is the
quiet pool in Congress Park that overlooks Disney Springs. Port Orleans also has so many quiet pools that if you find one quiet pool too noisy, it's a short walk to the next one.

When we go it's August & pretty hot so we try and swim every day - maybe if we go earlier in the day, hopefully less crowded. Angi, I thought I remembered you answering a water park question a ways back. I'm just curious, do they have ball throwing in the pools or lazy rivers at Blizzard Brach or Typhoon Lagoon?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter