Hotel(s) with great air conditioning?

acerry

Earning My Ears
Planning my first ever, solo, trip to DL, and trying to pick a hotel from dozens...
I will be renting a scooter from somewhere nearby and scootering to and through the parks each day, so distance to the hotel isn't a factor.
I would prefer newer built or remodeled places, sure, but my main determining factor is honestly how effective is the AC in the room. I have a medical condition, and medication for said condition that both make me easily overheat and easily dehydrate, so being able to spend 8 hours in a cool room is ... my goal.
Yes, I have read reviews here and everywhere which helped rule out places with ineffective AC, or that doesn't go very low, but... I'm curious if you all have any other AC comments or rankings on those where the AC is unmentionable and presumed "okay".

If it matters, the places on my short(ish) list are:

Holiday Inn Express on Manchester
HoJo
Tropicana
JW Marriott
The Westin
Hyatt Place
Anaheim Marriott
Hyatt Regancy - probably a bit too far to drive the scooter, unless the AC is out of this world
Best Western Plus Pavillions - I found divisive comments on AC for this one, so I'm guessing it's "great" AC if you don't need much of it....

Thanks!

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Orange County last week. I have no experience in the other hotels you listed, but the AC was good. We did have to put it down to 65 to get it to keep the room cold, but it was probably closer to 67-68, which is how we like it. Probably too far to scooter all the way to the park, but you could potentially scooter to the Toy Story lot a few blocks away and then take the bus from there. The hotel also has a shuttle to the park but I'm not sure if they have the ability to take scooters on it.

My Mom has a similar heat issue. She stayed at Tropicana last year (June) and had no complaints with the AC. They appreciated the quick access to/from the parks for rest breaks. Tropicana was able to accommodate a first floor room request as well. Happy planning!

Not the most up-to-date, but we found the air conditioner at the Desert Inn to work well. No medical/heat issue, but we are used to sleeping cold (air is usually on at 65 degrees at night) and found their air to work very well and cover all rooms (we had a two-bedroom suite).

One factor you need to keep an eye out for is energy-efficient hotels. Some hotels have the air automatically turn off when it senses no movement. We had never experienced this before, so were surprised when it happened throughout the night at the Hyatt House off Katella/Harbor. The room would be really warm when we got back from the park and it would take a bit for it to cool down. I also want to say that the fan turned off as well, so it was frustrating to have no white noise when the kids above us would jump up and down until 1am and again at 5am lol. This was probably 6-7 years ago, so things may have changed there.

Some hotels have the air automatically turn off when it senses no movement.
So fun fact...GCH has the same sensors and AC will kick off at night....but there is a hack!

There are sensor thermostats as well as most have a lower limit of 67 or so programmed for "energy efficiency"...while there are a ton of different models of hotel thermostats, most do actually have a "Bypass" and/or "VIP" mode that allows you to bypass that sensor or get it set lower than the 67 or keep it on with no motion. Quick Youtube search whatever thermostat is in your room will usually reveal the steps to get it into Bypass mode.

The GCH thermostats can be hacked to stay in Bypass mode for 24 hours so that the room is nice and cool when you come back and stays on when asleep and there is no movement at night! With that the 65 degree limit setting keeps the room plenty cold.

For those staying at a DL resort hotel here is the hack to get to Bypass Mode for 24 hors: Press [F/C] then hold [ON] and [FAN] all simultaneously for a few seconds and "BP" should flash on the screen.

Last edited:
So fun fact...GCH has the same sensors and AC will kick off at night....but there is a hack!

There are sensor thermostats as well as most have a lower limit of 67 or so programmed for "energy efficiency"...while there are a ton of different models of hotel thermostats, most do actually have a "Bypass" and/or "VIP" mode that allows you to bypass that sensor or get it set lower than the 67 or keep it on with no motion. Quick Youtube search whatever thermostat is in your room will usually reveal the steps to get it into Bypass mode.

The GCH thermostats can be hacked to stay in Bypass mode for 24 hours so that the room is nice and cool when you come back and stays on when asleep and there is no movement at night! With that the 65 degree limit setting keeps the room plenty cold.

For those staying at a DL resort hotel here is the hack to get to Bypass Mode for 24 hors: Press [F/C] then hold [ON] and [FAN] all simultaneously for a few seconds and "BP" should flash on the screen.
Great tip! I’ll keep this in mind when traveling. I’ve been in some aggressive hotels recently where it was near impossible to keep the rooms cool.

Good news is that I stayed at the DLH Adventure tower a couple weeks ago, and while the thermostat could not be set below 67, the room was very cool and the fan seemed to stay on.

Oh snap! I would not have expected the Grand to have that feature since the DLH stayed on when we were there. I'm really glad you mentioned this because we are more likely than not choosing the GCH for October (for the first time!!) and I would have been pretty bummed if it kept shutting off at night.

The Hyatt Regency does have good AC. They do have free shuttles to the front of the park so it's possible that this may actually be the lowest distance you'll have to drive the scooter but check with them to see how they accommodate that.

For your specific case, I can't recommend the Westin. If you're in a room with the balcony and you don't latch the balcony door properly, the AC could stop. Additionally, it takes longer than you'd expect to get to the front entrance.

Hyatt Place, JW Marriott and the the Marriott all have adequate AC from my experience.
No to the Best Western. Can't comment on the other two.

@acerry Tropicana had a very nice AC and best thing is it's just 5 minutes from the hotel to both parks.

Which would be convenient if you overheat in the parks and needed an afternoon break at your hotel for a couple of hours to cool down.

Also has a elevator in case you're not on the first floor.

Thanks for this! When we stayed at DLH the AC kept turning itself off, which was not fun. I'll try this hack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter