• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you carry your itinerary with you around the parks?

Some great ideas here! Thank you to everyone who posted - I’m making a note (autocorrect changed that to “bore”, which seems unnecessarily sarcastic!) and will be playing around with several options on our upcoming trip.

For keeping track of everything so far, I’m using a spreadsheet and a paper calendar, in combination with a planning tool from a UK website (The Dibb). I think the Touring Plans websure is great for information but I’m really struggling with understanding how to use it as a planning tool for myself. I haven’t had a chance to learn it properly, and I need to, but The Dibb’s planner is very intuitive and I can send the link to others in my travelling party.

Print out my spreadsheet, confirmation codes and then use my phone for electronic versions of everything :) I use Touring Plans, Kenny the Pirate, MDE and of course Disboards :D

I print out a one pager and laminate it, but I find I'm using that less and less as I use the app more and more. I still like to have it as backup though and for a quick glance, saves on the phone battery a bit.

I love planning, and it helps me use my excitement in a productive manner before the trip. But if the past is any indication, my plans don't always work out exactly as they are written. I have cancelled ADRs the day before if I'm feeling like it will be too much. I have also learned from the past that I like planning my mornings, up until my lunch ADR, then leaving the afternoons open. That way, I can take a break if needed. I can hunt down 4th, 5th, and sometimes 6th FPs. Or I can just find me a bench and enjoy a Mickey Ice Cream.

As some have mentioned, I work on these plans so much, they're almost committed to memory. But I do use MDE to verify times when I start second guessing myself.

I take a screen shot of each day's itinerary in MDE and make it the lock screen photo on my phone. I do it each morning on the way to the parks. If I change FP+ or book additional ones I update the screen shot

we didn't do that much planning last year and we were absolutely fine in the parks. we had a couple of "where now" moments because we were fresh to WDW as my family never had the money to get over to the U.S. never mind get WDW tickets. this year is different because we took our girls last year and we have a better understanding of what it means to be at WDW and how to navigate the parks, rides FP+, etc.

Part of the magic right now is planning what rides are a must, what attractions and shows are a must and what dining experiences are a must (got BOG and Cinderella's Royal Table thank God).

We are not that family that are marching with purpose because "if we don't get to Splash Mountain 5 minutes before our FP then the entire holiday/vacation is a complete bust and what is the point of even living anymore" we are the "look how much effort our goofball Dad has put into these plans, lets just ignore them because we feel like a dole whip right now" kind of family and I am ok with that for the simple reason that if we don't enjoy the time we have there in that moment, then what was the point of bringing ourselves to near bankruptcy to be at WDW in the first place.

WDW is a place where people should be as happy as they possibly can be at that moment in their lives and if that means planning every minute with metronomic precision or just flying by the seat of your pants, then I see no problem with either as long as everyone is happy.
So here are some things we have been doing to hold us over until our trip. Planning such as FP and ADR have been done for awhile and we too couldn't wait. 1. We watch a lot of YouTube like DIS unplugged and so forth. My teen daughter is in love with Pete and says he is her spirit animal. 2. We saw them play this game with a thumbs up or down sign and we play it here in our home. We do it with rides, restaurants and so forth. We also take turns listing our best and worst such as name five rides worth the long wait and five not worth a long wait. 3. We have a Disney countdown that is on their chalkboard at home. 4. We rewatch Disney movies and are working on our Spotify playlist of Disney music to listen to on the 7 hour drive. 5. As the planner in the home I printed out the park maps as I'm a visual person. I love coming up with possible routes and ideas though we don't plan it down to specific ride order. We also have listed the rides we hope to ride in the dark. The new treats and snacks we hope to eat. And so forth. Have fun in all your planning and dreaming and have a magical family vacation!

So here are some things we have been doing to hold us over until our trip. Planning such as FP and ADR have been done for awhile and we too couldn't wait. 1. We watch a lot of YouTube like DIS unplugged and so forth. My teen daughter is in love with Pete and says he is her spirit animal. 2. We saw them play this game with a thumbs up or down sign and we play it here in our home. We do it with rides, restaurants and so forth. We also take turns listing our best and worst such as name five rides worth the long wait and five not worth a long wait. 3. We have a Disney countdown that is on their chalkboard at home. 4. We rewatch Disney movies and are working on our Spotify playlist of Disney music to listen to on the 7 hour drive. 5. As the planner in the home I printed out the park maps as I'm a visual person. I love coming up with possible routes and ideas though we don't plan it down to specific ride order. We also have listed the rides we hope to ride in the dark. The new treats and snacks we hope to eat. And so forth. Have fun in all your planning and dreaming and have a magical family vacation!

Part of the fun is making all the plans, researching what will be new, what will be under some well needed cosmetic therapy and therefor closed, what festival will be on at Epcot and what offsite attractions we want to see. Even if we don't stick to the plans 100%, I find that I get a lot of joy coming up with all these plans and then see my kids faces when we took the trouble to plan things out properly so we do have reservations at all the most desired restaurants (BOG and Cinderellas Table booked whoop whoop) and all the Fast passes for the rides that we NEED to get on.

I have been devouring all things DIS Unplugged, all the Best and Worst videos, the dining shows. If Pete, Steve, Craig, Ryno, etc have made a video then I've watched it. Pete is brilliant and that's the right answer. My daughters do gymnastics and one of the mothers there is planning her first trip to WDW and we talk all things Disney every single time I see her. My partner is getting annoyed because I don't use social media so our friend has started tagging her in all these WDW posts so now it's not just me that's driving her up the wall. I watch the WDW Couple and sometimes the Tim Tracker when I run out of DIS Unplugged content. Even found myself watching full ride videos.
I have not hit rock bottom yet, but I am sure I'm not too far away from it as we speak :rotfl2: I guess the first step is admitting to myself that I have a problem so her I go. I have a Walt Disney World addiction problem and I have no problem with that.

i keep it on my phone. I like to color coordinate things so i usually just use excel or google sheets and access my google drive

I email ours to myself after typing it out - "Itinerary Night" is a planned night and a tradition that I now share with DD 11 each trip - Then we print hard copies for everyone (4) in the family, so we are all on the same page (no pun intended) and we carry them with us - and I have the email as well (thank goodness, because I have left my copy in the hotel room so many times already !

For those that are “one” with Pinterest, if you search Disney planning there are a pile of templates and index card sized options. I made some 4x6 and 5x7 size index cards for some planning fanatic friends and shared them with fellow Dissers about 6 years ago. They are now on Pinterest with someone who isn’t me taking credit :rolleyes2.

ETA:

Found them.....

A6030B7B-23B1-48F5-9BE3-155439FC6D09.jpeg

That’s the index card specific to MK, front and back.

As a non-planner the thought of using these makes me break out in hives. I think they’ll be at home with their people in this thread :flower:

Last edited:
I'm just curious what others do as far as referring to their itinerary throughout their trip. Do you have a digital version on your phone? Do you print out a hard copy and carry around with you? If you have a hard copy, what size is it and how do you keep it from getting worn/ripped from constantly referring to it? I have a couple ideas of what I might do, but I'm interested in hearing/seeing what others do. Feel free to post pics if you have any!

ETA: Personally, I am a very visual and tactile person so I like the idea of having a physical itinerary to refer to. I'm a graphic designer so it's fun for me to create a cool layout and have it laid out exactly how I want to. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that. I want to be able to have enough room for notes here and there throughout the days, so it can't be too small. I might get a little half size notebook of some sort to add pages and keep in my backpack. Not really sure if what I'm imagining even exists!

What itinerary?? We never make one with the exception of our FP's and a few ADR. and they are all on MDE on our phone. What else is there?

I'm totally low fi. It's on a piece of paper in my pocket that I never look at. Yeah I know. I get the organizational booby prize. It's just that once I write something down, I don't forget it. And even if I did, I know my way around the place. I don't suggest other people do it my way. Do what works for you whether it be just a few things on your phone or a laminated list or index cards in your purse or what have you. But don't put the paper in your back pack next to the water. :)

I enter the ADRs in my phone/Gmail calendar. For FPs, I rely on MDE, and do take a screenshot. Other things, I just know, like HEA, etc.

Part of the fun is making all the plans, researching what will be new, what will be under some well needed cosmetic therapy and therefor closed, what festival will be on at Epcot and what offsite attractions we want to see. Even if we don't stick to the plans 100%, I find that I get a lot of joy coming up with all these plans and then see my kids faces when we took the trouble to plan things out properly so we do have reservations at all the most desired restaurants (BOG and Cinderellas Table booked whoop whoop) and all the Fast passes for the rides that we NEED to get on.

I have been devouring all things DIS Unplugged, all the Best and Worst videos, the dining shows. If Pete, Steve, Craig, Ryno, etc have made a video then I've watched it. Pete is brilliant and that's the right answer. My daughters do gymnastics and one of the mothers there is planning her first trip to WDW and we talk all things Disney every single time I see her. My partner is getting annoyed because I don't use social media so our friend has started tagging her in all these WDW posts so now it's not just me that's driving her up the wall. I watch the WDW Couple and sometimes the Tim Tracker when I run out of DIS Unplugged content. Even found myself watching full ride videos.
I have not hit rock bottom yet, but I am sure I'm not too far away from it as we speak :rotfl2: I guess the first step is admitting to myself that I have a problem so her I go. I have a Walt Disney World addiction problem and I have no problem with that.
I too do not have many Disney passionate friends. My husband goes along with a smile. He laughs with us and doesn't complain about the cost. But he doesn't care so much about it all. My kids love it but they are teens and so busy quite often. i swear if we see Pete, Steve, Craig, Ryno etc in the park my kids and myself might freak out as if they were pop stars.

My 5 and 7 year old girls will say "is this going to be about Disney" when I speak to them :rotfl: they'll thank me when we are there and have lots of fast passes and reservations haha
Hahaha sounds a lot like my DS. He's sick of me talking about it too. :(
But youre right, while at disney your kids will thank you! if they dont, keep talking to them about disney as punishment. :laughing:

I usually just go by my fast pass and wing it for the rest. Ill remember what times certain shows are at a park in my head though to work with the fast pass times.

My entire work life revolves around schedules and spreed sheets. I can't let my vacation do the same

I’m slightly obsessive about plotting my entire trip out on an excel sheet. It is color coded with all of my FP+ listed, touring plan, dining ADRs, confirmation numbers, park hours, and approximate budget for the trip. I print this out on half of a piece of paper, fold it, and laminate it to carry around with me. That way I can disconnect from my phone and know everything I need to at a glance quickly (the color coding really helps).
OMG!! You're my soul mate!! My family always teases me for my excel spreadsheet, I couldn't survive a trip without it! Mine is also color coded, and includes each days plans with notes at the bottom.

I just write it on little index cards. One per day. Plus I usually add if there is anything I'm looking for in the shops on it so I don't forget something in my excitement.

The all over spreadsheet for the whole trip is located in my dropbox account so I can reference that at any time too. Mine isn't fancy but it does the trick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter