How do you manage the airports with a 1 and 3 year old+your luggage+the car seats and the strollers??

Alice Sr.

My little Mouseketeer
We (my DD, SIL, 3 yr old DGD and 1 yr old DGS) are going to Disney 10/3-14. I have decided to fly out the week before to meet up with my niece and her husband, but then I started to think about the logistics and am feeling pretty bad. What a hassle to park in long term parking, unload the car seats, strollers, 3 suitcases and 2 kids get it all into the shuttle. When they get to the airport my SIL will get a baggage cart but can 2 car seats, 3 suitcases all fit plus he'll have to push that and a stroller.? They want to gate check the strollers and car seats so that means getting them to the gate. Can you take a baggage cart through security? I called Delta baggage to see if they offered valet, lol, they don't but the Delta rep was so nice and sympathetic. She suggested calling Delta reservations and having them note our confirmation that our party needs assistance but I don't think they will help with kids all their stuff. I'm contemplating not changing my flight to meet up with my niece now because I just don't know how they will manage. It seems like there should be a service available! They are going to buy some lighter travel car seats but I don't think that will make that big of a difference. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My husband and I did this with our 1 and 3 year old and we managed. Is it only 1 adult trying to fly alone with the two children and all that stuff? I would have felt overwhelmed managing it on my own. Having a 2nd adult makes all the difference. We always brought a double stroller which often helped hold bags. We would stack duffles on top of rolling suitcases and my husband could roll a couple at a time. If a child was out of his seat in the stroller, a bag(s) took his place. We always carry on all our luggage.

Really, maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it is. There will be 2 adults. Did you take the cars eats to the gate with you? I'm looking at the car seat wheeled carts on Amazon.

We (my DD, SIL, 3 yr old DGD and 1 yr old DGS) are going to Disney 10/3-14. I have decided to fly out the week before to meet up with my niece and her husband, but then I started to think about the logistics and am feeling pretty bad. What a hassle to park in long term parking, unload the car seats, strollers, 3 suitcases and 2 kids get it all into the shuttle. When they get to the airport my SIL will get a baggage cart but can 2 car seats, 3 suitcases all fit plus he'll have to push that and a stroller.? They want to gate check the strollers and car seats so that means getting them to the gate. Can you take a baggage cart through security? I called Delta baggage to see if they offered valet, lol, they don't but the Delta rep was so nice and sympathetic. She suggested calling Delta reservations and having them note our confirmation that our party needs assistance but I don't think they will help with kids all their stuff. I'm contemplating not changing my flight to meet up with my niece now because I just don't know how they will manage. It seems like there should be a service available! They are going to buy some lighter travel car seats but I don't think that will make that big of a difference. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I would actually drop off the stroller, car seats and luggage at the airport drop off area with the Mom and the kids and only have your SIL go park and take shuttle back to eliminate one of the big hassles.

Also, most people who aren't planning on using the car seats on the actual flight actually check them with the luggage and only gate check the stroller for transportation purposes. That should make it bunches easier. You can even buy travel bags for them to protect them a bit if you are worried about damage.

Also, another thought. Could you possibly take at least one of their suitcases with you ahead of time, giving them one less to manage?

Did this a few years back as well. My DH dropped me, the kids, the double stroller, one suitcase and one carseat. I was able to push the stroller and pull a trolley. I checked the suitcase and carseat while my husband parked. This allowed me to walk around with the kiddos while waiting. It was much easier for him to take the shuttle with the other carseat and suitcase (we only used two). It can be done, so long as you have a second adult. :)

Another option is for them to arrange to be dropped off/picked up at the airport. That way they have both adults handling all the luggage at once. If the airport has curbside check in, do that. If they're not using the car seats on the plane, check them too.

The one thing I could say is that what might seem insurmountable to you might be more commonplace to you.

I did this with 9mo old twins, a 3 yo and 4 yo. Just my wife and I.

It was hectic, a bit of controlled chaos. A lot of juggling, but it was a lot of work to get just get the kids into the car to go to the grandparents back then. The parents are used to it, they have figured out how to work together. Its a bit stressful, but not that much more so than just daily life. I'm sure they will be fine and will find themselves sitting on the plane with everything managed and have a good laugh and sigh of relief

Bungee cord! Our car seats generally were in the paid seat, so we tied it to the roller bag and then pulled roller bag and car seat with one hand and sometimes pushed stroller with the other hand. Not saying it was pretty and for sure nobody wanted to be behind me in the x-ray line... but we muddled through that short period of travel hell...

Let's break things down here a bit

Stroller leave it at home and rent one from an outside company once you get there

Carseats strap these to an inexpensive luggage cart (we got ours at walmart) using bugie cords-make sure every adult knows how to set up and remove this before you go. Both kids or at least the 3 year old can ride buckled in a seat (mine loved it so much at a little over 2 we had issues with trying to climb in the seat before we had the straps out-we used a carseat bag and were able to put the entire seat and cart in the bag tossing DH's heavy winter coat -which would not be needed until we got home and we were being picked up at the airport door by friend's bringing vehicles up so why he packed in along I have no idea-on the seat once it was in the bag. That got tossed a few times before DH could get it and strap it to the top of the seat so a certain small person could sit).
If the 1 year old does not ride in a seat I would use a child carrier. One of my favorites is a ring sling with an unsewn tail. (hint you can take and put it through the handle bar of a stoller tighten so the rings are against the bar and drap over a stroller for small child who needs a nap or even for sun protection. The one I used was a lightweight batik one from taylor made. This same company also makes a mesh style which is great for in the pool or even a shower.

Carry on luggage I would recommend a combination of backpacks and duffle bags. Each adult can put on a backpack and depending if both children are riding in seats put a duffle bag with a longer strap cross body or the duffle bags can be put in the 2nd seat along with one one of the backpacks (bring an extra cord to go aound the top or use the carseat straps to buckle them in if that works. 3 year old would be allowed carry on item so I would recommend a small backpack that can be held on the child's lap. I would suggest that one of the backpacks be the diaperbag for both children including an emergency change of clothes for all adults (in case of a child having an accident all over an adult) and a small colapsable cloth shopping bag (I have one that folds up to the size of my palm) so when a kid seat cover change is needed they don't have to take the entire bag-just grab that bag toss in the items needed and head to that airline restroom. I would also advise having them practice changing the kids while the kids are standing up especially the 3 year old as there might not be space for them to lay down especially if they don't have access to a handicapped restroom on the plane.

There is a blog written that has a bunch of stuff that you would ever want to know about flying with children by a former flight attendant and expat american who has personal experience flying between europe and the us several times a year I can either post a link here or can send it to you via private message whichever you would perfer. A lot of the tips on here helped me when we were traveling with our kids.

DO NOT CHECK THE CARSEATS The chances of them getting tossed around are extremely high and carseats have been damaged this way. When they are gate checked they are loaded onto the plane last and removed last along with other gate check items such as strollers and wheelchairs. These are treated more gently than the general checked baggage. A damaged carseat is not going to protect in case of an accident and chances are your auto insurance can toss out any claims if those seats were checked as baggage on an airplane just like they can if you have a minor fender bender and because the seats don't look damaged don't replace the seats and then get in another accident and the child in the seat is injured. I know my insurance company told me that is the case if we choose to check a carseat as baggage as we had planned to do with our then 5 year old's seat (we ended up geting one from the car rental company and I have reports that it was brand new from the members of our party who went to pick up the vehicle on the day we needed it to go off property-helped that the arrangements were made with the manager of the company we went with at our local office and we know the manager personally so we got brand new out of the box seats for all the kids were needed ones for as they took them out when the vehicles were picked up and installed while they waited)

Another option since it sounds like your going down ahead is to purchase a couple of inexpensive seats such as the cosco scenera which runs around $45 use those and then pack them back in the boxes they came in from the store and either ship them home with a shipping company (cheaper option if someone is taking a later flight and can take the seats after the kids are dropped off at the airport to fly home) or check them as baggage. In the boxes they would be protected as the companies have designed them to be shipped safely in them with all the packaging.
Advantage of this is they would have extra seats if they were ever need them. I know we were thankful to have a couple of inexpensive seats when we were rearended by a vehicle going 65 in a 35 while stopped (3rd vehicle back) at a red light. It was nice to be able to call my inlaws have them come get a key to the location of the seats go get them and bring them to us-we were in a heavy enough vehicle being in a half ton truck that we had very little damage-the two little compacts in front of us were significantly damaged-we were hit by a jeep/suburban type vehicle that had enough front end damage it was not drivable-didn't help them to have hit our hitch :laughing:🤣:laughing:

Also, another thought. Could you possibly take at least one of their suitcases with you ahead of time, giving them one less to manage?
Excellent idea, that would really help them I think, plus it will help tamper down my guilt for bailing on them :)
Another option is for them to arrange to be dropped off/picked up at the airport. That way they have both adults handling all the luggage at once. If the airport has curbside check in, do that. If they're not using the car seats on the plane, check them too.
This airport does not have curbside, do any at this point? I flew out of MDW last month and they always did but did not then. I wasn't sure if it was a Covid thing, renovation thing or permanent cut back.?
Bungee cord! Our car seats generally were in the paid seat, so we tied it to the roller bag and then pulled roller bag and car seat with one hand and sometimes pushed stroller with the other hand. Not saying it was pretty and for sure nobody wanted to be behind me in the x-ray line... but we muddled through that short period of travel hell...
They do have a strap for adding a car seat to a carry-on but we were thinking adding more things to drag all the way to the gate was not a step in the right direction as far as simplifying getting everyone on and off the plane. That was the thought anyway as the plan came together it turned out to be faulty thinking.

Wow I knew if I posted here the DIS nation would come to our rescue. A lot of great ideas that were instrumental in coming up with what I think will be a doable plan. As was mentioned a couple of times it's not going to be pretty, it's probably a good thing they currently aren't serving adult beverages on the plane :). Since you all helped with the plan I thought I would share and of course welcome your feedback.
Plan: I'm taking one of their full size suitcases with me. We're buying one wheeled car seat caddie. DD will drop off SIL, 3 yr old, her car seat, carry-on w/straps for car seat, full size suitcase and 1 yr old's stroller curbside (I'll pick up an umbrella stroller for her since I will be there the week before). He can grab a baggage cart and check-in himself, DGD and the full size suitcase while DD parks the car and shuttles back with the 1 yr old in his car seat on the caddie. Since she's not checking a bag she shouldn't have to wait in a line so they can proceed to security and the gate with basically the two car seats and carry-on acting as strollers and one stroller. SIL is a big dude so he should be fine handling the extra stroller. Off to change my flight - guilt free! Thanks everyone!

do not check carseats even gate check. what happens if one or both are damaged when you arrive. yes it happens and it happened to us on a nonDisney trip. we arrived late after stores were closed in the area plus i have seen a number of seats fall to ground during loading. I would look at renting a stroller or strollers to save

do not check carseats even gate check. what happens if one or both are damaged when you arrive. yes it happens and it happened to us on a nonDisney trip. we arrived late after stores were closed in the area plus i have seen a number of seats fall to ground during loading. I would look at renting a stroller or strollers to save
You had damage on a gate checked car seat? Wow, well they are arriving early in the day and I will have a car to pick them up. If there is damage I can run and get a new one while they take the MDE. We never never take late flights but thanks for your warning I will keep that in mind.

Double stroller. Carry on luggage only. Don’t bring the car seats. Rent them at your destination.

You had damage on a gate checked car seat? Wow, well they are arriving early in the day and I will have a car to pick them up. If there is damage I can run and get a new one while they take the MDE. We never never take late flights but thanks for your warning I will keep that in mind.
yes damaged on gate checked not sure if dropped down steps or fell off ramp into plane. any way it was cracked. we had taken a late flight hoping daughter would sleep on flight which also didnt happen. make sure they would be able to take MDE in case without ordering ahead

She'll be fine. We travel a ton with our three (Currently ages 2, 4, 6) and have never had huge issues or trouble managing the gear. My biggest advice is to pack as light as possible. You don't "need" as much as you think and I'd cross off bringing anything baby/toddler related that you can get by without. I would definitely not haul carseats if they can take MDE- that's a no-brainer to me. Or, rent carseats if you absolutely need to when you rent your car. We have never taken a pack n play or anything of that sort on a plane- they can sleep in whatever the hotel has. With a one year old I might consider an Ergo or other structured baby carrier, preferably if it was one that could be used on back or front. They're so so helpful in airports. We use MiFolds instead of carseats when we travel now (tiny portable carseats that are approx the size of a chapter book and can be put in your backpack or purse)- see if the 3 year old meets the weight/height requirements.

I flew back from WDW solo with my three children in February. My husband had to fly elsewhere for work the day before, and it was SO manageable even with one person + 3 kids. DME meant checking my bags and not having to see them til my home airport- this felt like such a luxury. I did take my double stroller with me through the airport (gate check) but in retrospect, the kids would've been 100% fine walking (they were 2, 3, 5 at the time). We had 2 3 hour flights with a 1 hr layover in between and we made it. Obviously, COVID hit and we haven't flown since, but I wouldn't hesitate to fly solo even with three kiddos again and I am definitely not a supermom. It's one of those things that might seem scary ahead of time but will be fine once you're at the airport.

I agree they will be fine, it just takes some strategizing. The biggest obstacle is getting the car seats to the gate to gate check them. I did look at renting the car seats through the car rental company because nobody wants to lug them around but it was going to be over $300. I considered buying two cheaper lighter versions for Florida and just leaving them there but we would be in the same position when we go back in March. I did see the MiFolds when I was looking on Amazon for cheap seats for when they arrived, it looked very interesting. I don't think it would work for this trip but I am going to check it out. Do you think the 2 three hours segments with the hour in the middle was the best way to go for your family vs n/s? I ask because i'm planning a trip to Aulani and can't make up my mind if I should book n/s (would be 10 hours there) or a layover somewhere on the west coast or Phoenix. We would have 6 adults the kids would be 9, 7, 6 and 3. My oldest DD wants to fly n/s and my youngest wants a layover long enough to stretch, eat, bathroom breaks and let the kids burn off some energy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter