How fast it all changed.

Thank you to all who continue to check in. Nigel, I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. It's astonishing me how prevalent this particular cancer has become and in younger and younger men, particularly. When the insurance agent was out earlier this month I said I expected he's has had a lot of this type of meeting (meaning claims due to cancer) and he said yes and this year had already had three for men with the same cancer / secondary cancer that DH had, all stage IV at diagnosis and all young. One was 39, one 46 and DH at 55.

ronandannette - the kids are actually both in grade 10. I had pulled them and homeschooled them in grade 5/6 but took them both back to grade three and started from there. Chronologically, he should be in 11 but is currently still in 10. I don't actually care when he graduates - having ADHD and an LD, he is somewhat socially/emotionally delayed so an extra year won't kill him, although this now puts him potentially 20 at graduation and that more than anything for him may be an issue. I just don't want to see him eventually drop it because he isn't engaged and has a different path in mind anyway. I've made it clear that as long as he lives with me and I support him he is required to graduate. He says he intends to - just plans to do what is needed to graduate and that's about it.

We are finalising preparations for the Celebration of Life on Saturday with a couple of things still to pick up but otherwise finished. I have no idea how many will still be coming since it's been almost six weeks since he passed (can't quite believe that) and I'm sure some people have forgotten. I'm sure we'll have food leftover, but I think some friends are coming back to the house after, so I'll just put it back out then. :laughing:

We were supposed to have our family dinner for DS's birthday tonight but about two hours before he said he didn't want to go anymore. He said it would be weird without dad and he'd rather do it sometime later. I suggested we could combine it with mine in July and we could see how we feel then.

I picked up our wedding video yesterday. I had it copied in digital format to be sure I always have it since the original was VHS. I can't watch it yet, but at least I have it.
:grouphug: Double-hugs to your DS about the birthday. It's your second "first" (after Mother's Day) and please, please be very gentle with yourselves as you navigate through them. Grace and peace to you all as you honor Buddy next Saturday.

Your strength and wisdom continue to amaze me. Hugs to your DS as his birthday held pain rather than delight. Prayers for you all as you continue to navigate this path and all the challenges,

How are you doing, Rodeo? How is your son doing? I just caught up with this thread. I'm going to send you something via PM.

Thanks ronandannette and Eureka for checking in. Yes, the Celebration is tomorrow from 2-4pm. DS told me earlier this week he isn't going to dance after all. I'm sad but understand he feels he wants to just spend the day remembering his dad, not performing. We will have one of his friends and his partner dancing to our wedding song.

I'm still going to hide his dance shoes and clothes in the trunk and have it there in case he changes his mind. ADHD - he's prone to a lot of not-thought-out decisions and last minute changes. I don't want him to decide once he's there and sees his friend dance that he wants to also but not have what he needs there. They have been rehearsing four show dances to the music he chose originally from DH's playlist because they are performing the week after, so he's ready, the music is on a thumb drive and I'll have his things available. He has said his biggest regret is not going to see DH more frequently in the hospital and hospice and I don't want another thing for him to regret later.

I'm thinking about bringing DH's guitar and if anyone wants to play to have that option, also. And there will be a microphone there if anyone wants to share any stories or thoughts. No eulogy though!

In all of this, Rodeo, one of the things that impresses me the most about you is how in-tuned you are to your 2 children & how you've allowed & encouraged them to grieve in their own ways & in their own spaces & given them the time & respect to change their minds, if needed.

All of your plans for your DH's Celebration of Life sound lovely, & I'll be thinking about & praying for you & your family tomorrow!

In all of this, Rodeo, one of the things that impresses me the most about you is how in-tuned you are to your 2 children & how you've allowed & encouraged them to grieve in their own ways & in their own spaces & given them the time & respect to change their minds, if needed.

All of your plans for your DH's Celebration of Life sound lovely, & I'll be thinking about & praying for you & your family tomorrow!

Wendy31--You said this so well, it was exactly what I was thinking also--I am sending Rodeo and her children prayers and wishes for Peace. I hope the Celebration of Life is everything that they want it to be. Please keep checking in Rodeo---myself, and a lot of other DiS'ers are always waiting to see how you are doing

Thanks ronandannette and Eureka for checking in. Yes, the Celebration is tomorrow from 2-4pm. DS told me earlier this week he isn't going to dance after all. I'm sad but understand he feels he wants to just spend the day remembering his dad, not performing. We will have one of his friends and his partner dancing to our wedding song.

I'm still going to hide his dance shoes and clothes in the trunk and have it there in case he changes his mind. ADHD - he's prone to a lot of not-thought-out decisions and last minute changes. I don't want him to decide once he's there and sees his friend dance that he wants to also but not have what he needs there. They have been rehearsing four show dances to the music he chose originally from DH's playlist because they are performing the week after, so he's ready, the music is on a thumb drive and I'll have his things available. He has said his biggest regret is not going to see DH more frequently in the hospital and hospice and I don't want another thing for him to regret later.

I'm thinking about bringing DH's guitar and if anyone wants to play to have that option, also. And there will be a microphone there if anyone wants to share any stories or thoughts. No eulogy though!
This sounds wonderful, Rodeo. Very thoughtful, as always. Your Celebration of Life will be amazing. I can see it, I can hear it.

rodeo my heart goes out to you and your family. i hope the Celebration is everything everyone needs it to be. I am just reading this thread now and you and your kids are so incredibly strong. :hug:

:hug: I know it will be a hard day, but it sounds like the celebration will be beautiful.

We're all thinking of you and the kids today. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter