How long does it really take to get to Universal Hollywood?

For the distance the time is alarming.

It really is, LOL.

Doable, but alarming. :)

I wouldn't be afraid of the drive. It's fast then slow then fast again, but once you get into LA it's actually kinda pretty and iconic, and for some reason the exit to get to the lots is truly exciting for me. I actually quite like USH.

And our first time we actually had to wait for Alamo to open, then they couldn't get their computers to work, and basically it took an hour until we got our car (they did let us have a Fiat, which was adorable) and hit the road. And still we had a terrific day, despite the crazy traffic. (and despite my son being in a cast from thumb to shoulder, bent at the elbow!)

Reading this thread is making me dread our one day trip to Universal in April. I knew it would be crazy and a long day, but now I regret telling the kids I was hoping we would go. That is a LOT of time in a car-even if we aren't driving....not even sure how my husband will handle it :crazy2:

After exploring all the different transportation options (driving our rental car, train, bus, shuttle to USH, etc.) we ultimately decided to just rent an AirBnB close to Universal and then switch to our Anaheim hotel for the Disney leg of our trip. To us going back and forth across LA to get there just wasn't worth the headache.

I hope you find an option that works for you. Universal is a fun park to spend a day at!

I know that it can be a long drive for people and it was one of the things we were dreading for our trip but we left around 8AM and it took us a little less than an hour and a half so it really wasn't bad. And coming back it took about an hour. Maybe we just got lucky? It was on a Monday.

Is going to Universal Hollywood worth it? I am just curious because I might go there myself. Is it crazy crowed in late October and the beginning of November?

What time is rush hour?

We are doing this, it will be an 8am opening, any idea what time we should leave Grand Californian?

What time is rush hour?

We are doing this, it will be an 8am opening, any idea what time we should leave Grand Californian?

Rush hour is around 6-10am and 3-8pm. Ish. If you want to be there at opening, you’d need to plan on being parked around 7:30 I would think. You’d probably need to leave by 5:30 at the latest, but all that’s out the window if there’s an accident. You’d be better off leaving around 8 the night before and staying the night up there instead if you can.

I live about 3 hours from USH in normal not rush hour traffic. My friend left at 7am, I left at 9am. I got there 30 minutes after her...

Good grief, that is early! We will be getting uber, or worst case a transfer... Now I am torn... Already paid for Grand Californian, so won't be getting another hotel... Thanks, definitely given me something to think about...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter