How lucky to be in the first group to stay at the VGF DVC that opened today.

Because that's where they could fit it. Without the couch, the resort studio only sleeps 4. If it only sleeps 4, they cannot charge as many points as they do for a deluxe studio. If the resort studio point chart was lower, they couldn't sell as many points and there goes their profit!
Right, I guess I was thinking a bed pulled out from a stand or the wall would do the same. The couch there looks awkward and out of place. To me anyway. But I guess a couch is “required” so they get to call it a “studio?”

Right, I guess I was thinking a bed pulled out from a stand or the wall would do the same. The couch there looks awkward and out of place. To me anyway. But I guess a couch is “required” so they get to call it a “studio?”
Studios do not have to have a couch. OKW studios don't. RIV Tower Studios don't. The whole reason the couch is there is so that the Resort Studio can officially sleep 5, just like a Deluxe Studio at VGF.

Ok maybe this is a minor thing, and didn’t read through to see if it’s been mentioned, but what is the purpose of even having a couch if it’s positioned that way with the TV? It has no functionality. Should have just put a Murphy bed there because no one is certainly watching TV. Odd design. Pretty room though.
The "couch" is actually what took the place of the "daybed" that deluxe resort rooms have in order to sleep 5. It's not intended to be a couch to sit on to watch TV, it's a sleeping surface that masquerades as a small couch during the day. Our DD slept on the daybed during our 1996 stay at BWV (in a studio - yes, when it first opened the deluxe studio had 2 queens and a daybed) and our 1997 stay at Poly (in a regular room, 2 queens and a daybed). When converting BPK from GF resort room to VGF resort studio, all they changed was the decor. They didn't do any structural work such as would have been required to install a Murphy bed like many other DVC studios have. New curtains, new bed linens, new chandelier, new upholstery on the daybed/couch.

The "couch" is actually what took the place of the "daybed" that deluxe resort rooms have in order to sleep 5. It's not intended to be a couch to sit on to watch TV, it's a sleeping surface that masquerades as a small couch during the day. Our DD slept on the daybed during our 1996 stay at BWV (in a studio - yes, when it first opened the deluxe studio had 2 queens and a daybed) and our 1997 stay at Poly (in a regular room, 2 queens and a daybed). When converting BPK from GF resort room to VGF resort studio, all they changed was the decor. They didn't do any structural work such as would have been required to install a Murphy bed like many other DVC studios have. New curtains, new bed linens, new chandelier, new upholstery on the daybed/couch.

I get that, and understand why it was just easier and cost efficient to just leave the couch there. I still think it looks out of place and it’s probably because of my experience staying in other studios where the couch and bed are in front of the TV. Again. I don’t mean to make a big deal out of this at all. And I probably won’t ever stay here anyway. But to me it gives the appearance of a sad couch that’s lost it’s purpose. 😁

Last edited:
Are there laundry rooms in the building?
There are only two washers and two dryers. We did ours at 5:30 in the morning and never ran into an issue, but when trying to dry swimsuits after an afternoon swim they were always busy. Plus one of the washers is going to get damaged pretty easily. If the washer door is open. And somebody tried to go into the laundry room there is gonna be an accident.

Studios do not have to have a couch. OKW studios don't. RIV Tower Studios don't. The whole reason the couch is there is so that the Resort Studio can officially sleep 5, just like a Deluxe Studio at VGF.

The tower studios have a couch because it’s the pull down queen Murphy bed.

Change of plans, we decided to go back to Hilton Head Island for three weeks In September. Last year we went to Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort and had such a great time we decided to go back there. We could not get three weeks at the resort so we are going with a condo rental. We have three other vacations planned to WDW before the end of the year and one of them we are staying at VGF2. The other we are taking our whole family to WDW and have reservations booked at the Grand Floridian in a grand villa.

I moved our week after Thanksgiving trip to VGF2. It's just my sister and me, and it will be nice to have two very comfortable beds to sleep in. We love the GF decorated for the holidays!.

There are only two washers and two dryers. We did ours at 5:30 in the morning and never ran into an issue, but when trying to dry swimsuits after an afternoon swim they were always busy. Plus one of the washers is going to get damaged pretty easily. If the washer door is open. And somebody tried to go into the laundry room there is gonna be an accident.
Just two of each? Wow!

Change of plans, we decided to go back to Hilton Head Island for three weeks In September. Last year we went to Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort and had such a great time we decided to go back there. We could not get three weeks at the resort so we are going with a condo rental. We have three other vacations planned to WDW before the end of the year and one of them we are staying at VGF2. The other we are taking our whole family to WDW and have reservations booked at the Grand Floridian in a grand villa.
Changed our plans to HHI to two weeks. Here for 1 week so far and the weather so far has been great. The beach is not crowded and the water is warm. Here for another week

The whole reason the couch is there is so that the Resort Studio can officially sleep 5, just like a Deluxe Studio at VGF.
They could have done the Murphy under the TV like Poly. Because of the configuration of the room being a little wider, it is able to fit the couch bed instead, which Poly couldn't. And I guess Poly didn't need two couches.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter