How safe is it to rent DVC points

El&Asmom

DIS Veteran
This may belong on the DVC boards, but was wondering what non DVC people thought about renting points, if you've ever done it before.
I feel comfortable, but my dh thinks it sounds too risky and complicated.

It would be nice to rent a 1 bedroom for about the same price as a regular room at the lodge.

Thanks

I am not sure what being DVC has to do with it, many that have DVC are not in favor of renting. We own, don't rent, and I would never be comfortable doing it.

That said, many do, and most never have any problems. You need to do your homework, find a member you can trust and know what the limitations are.

The member will have complete control of your reservation. You will not be able to verify you have a reservation until a few days out when you can call the resort. This is a private agreement between two people, if something should happen, Disney will not get involved.

Be sure to get a member you can communicate easily with, as they will have to make any requests, such as ME and dining if you want them.

The FAQ on the Rent/Trade forums has excellent advice. The risk involved is the reason the price is so low, only you can decide if it is worth it.

We rented a villa at the Boardwalk in October 2005 from points from a DVC member. It was fantastic! Can't say that it will necessarily save you money, if that's what you are looking for, just allowed us as a family of 4 to stay in a villa only reserved for DVC members. Would not hesitate to do it again. You should check out the DVC board for those willing to rent points. You do have to be flexible in your timing and number of days you stay.
Good Luck!

I just came home and we rented points from a DVC member. First the studio at SSR would have rented for over $200 a nite and we rented for $99 so we really saved. The owner did offer us a great deal.

I would only trade with someone with many posts and read the posts they have made. Get a feel for the person! There seems to be a general rule about how to rent and what happens when. You make the arrangements and send half by paypal. The member makes your reservation and when you get the confirmation you send the other half of the money. There is also a few good contracts that spell out what each party will do. I like that idea but didn't use one.

Last, if you can think about becoming a DVC member. It saves money in the end if you go to Disney more than 7 times. I have been 3 times in under a year.

Good luck and PM if you need more help.

The member you rent from may not allow any changes or cancellation. It's totally up to the member to set the rules. They may require full payment to just make the reservation. They have full control over the reservation until the moment you check in. You cannot call to make requests, add the dining plan or ME. The member has to do it all.

If any of these make you unsure, then stick with your husband and make a reservation through CRO instead.

We've rented from several different people many times and have always had no problems whatsoever!

I've rented points twice and it's been a huge $$$ saver. I looked for people with good posting histories and people who seemed trustworthy. I also like going through Paypal because you dispute with your cc if there is an issue. Go with your gut. I will say I paid $700 for BWV (5 nights, incl. Friday) and $300 for BCV (incl. Friday). No way I could have done that on my own.

I would only trade with someone with many posts and read the posts they have made. Get a feel for the person! There seems to be a general rule about how to rent and what happens when. You make the arrangements and send half by paypal. The member makes your reservation and when you get the confirmation you send the other half of the money. There is also a few good contracts that spell out what each party will do. I like that idea but didn't use one.

This is great advice!! :thumbsup2

I've rented points twice and it's been a huge $$$ saver. I looked for people with good posting histories and people who seemed trustworthy. I also like going through Paypal because you dispute with your cc if there is an issue. Go with your gut. I will say I paid $700 for BWV (5 nights, incl. Friday) and $300 for BCV (incl. Friday). No way I could have done that on my own.

Just so you know, PayPal will not dispute the sale of a nontangible object.

We used to own a DVC (used to..cry, cry) Anyway, we did rent our points once and all went well. However, I did know of two people who attempted to rent and the ownders cancelled the ressies after receiving the money. Most times it works out great, but there is risk involved. Good luck!

Our first stay at a DVC resort was on rented points and we were hooked. We bought into the program in 2003 and have rented some of our points. There has to be great communication between the member and the renter. Be sure to aske lots of questions if you do not understand something. I try to go the extra mile for whoever rents- I like to think that I have helped in the magic a little. Nothing like a sour taste in your mouth before you ever walk out the door. Good luck on finding someone to rent from. Not trying to rent you any points, but if you have any questions feel free to ask me or pm me.

Renting DVC points requires trust by the renter that the DVC member will not cancel your reservation or that your reservation will be made at all. Member Services does not deal with renters, but only DVC members.

My concern is that since renting DVC points seems to be fairly common knowledge (Mousesavers, Passporter, other budget guides mention it as well), there will always be people who try to scam others. These boards have typically resulted in good transactions from what I understand.

But again, anyone can log on and pretend to be a DVC member (I see your own username reads DVCmember) and pretend to have points for rent. And someone on a budget who wants a good deal may fall for a scam.

You hope that most people are honest, and in dealing with a DVC rental reservation you have to trust the person you are dealing with. That is not easy considering you have no idea who you deal with.

There are recommendations on these boards to set up rental contracts, but again, you are dealing with unknown people over the internet.

I myself have 1 rental set up for Vero Beach which has so far cost me $50. The reservation has not yet been made (end of this month), but I have to trust this will happen. I've never actually met this DVC member, but I hope it goes well. Now, would I do this with a $1,200 rental? I doubt I would want to feel any uncertainty about it and probably wouldn't do it (I'm paranoid that most people aren't as honest as I am).

If I really wanted a DVC reservation cheaper than CRO prices, I would probably rent that type of reservation through ebay where there is at least some sort of feedback and recourse if the member isn't legit. It could cost more than through these boards, but at least I'd be protected if it was a scam.

You really have no protection if the person you deal with is not honest. They could take your money and cancel the reservation or not even make the reservation in the first place and just take your money. I myself wouldn't take that risk especially with larger amounts of money.

These are the reasons why we decided to buy DVC just so we were able to stay in the deluxe accommodations and not worry about renting points.

I know this post may be a little negative, but the internet is open to anyone and people are always finding ways to scam others.

I have rented 5 or 6 times...with NO problems to date. Research the renter (via their post history here on the dis) I think renting is a great deal!! :):):)

Rented 4 times from the same member. Watch out thought it can get you hooked, we did and now own at BWV.

Renting DVC points requires trust by the renter that the DVC member will not cancel your reservation or that your reservation will be made at all. Member Services does not deal with renters, but only DVC members.

My concern is that since renting DVC points seems to be fairly common knowledge (Mousesavers, Passporter, other budget guides mention it as well), there will always be people who try to scam others. These boards have typically resulted in good transactions from what I understand.

But again, anyone can log on and pretend to be a DVC member (I see your own username reads DVCmember) and pretend to have points for rent. And someone on a budget who wants a good deal may fall for a scam.

You hope that most people are honest, and in dealing with a DVC rental reservation you have to trust the person you are dealing with. That is not easy considering you have no idea who you deal with.

There are recommendations on these boards to set up rental contracts, but again, you are dealing with unknown people over the internet.

I myself have 1 rental set up for Vero Beach which has so far cost me $50. The reservation has not yet been made (end of this month), but I have to trust this will happen. I've never actually met this DVC member, but I hope it goes well. Now, would I do this with a $1,200 rental? I doubt I would want to feel any uncertainty about it and probably wouldn't do it (I'm paranoid that most people aren't as honest as I am).

If I really wanted a DVC reservation cheaper than CRO prices, I would probably rent that type of reservation through ebay where there is at least some sort of feedback and recourse if the member isn't legit. It could cost more than through these boards, but at least I'd be protected if it was a scam.

You really have no protection if the person you deal with is not honest. They could take your money and cancel the reservation or not even make the reservation in the first place and just take your money. I myself wouldn't take that risk especially with larger amounts of money.

These are the reasons why we decided to buy DVC just so we were able to stay in the deluxe accommodations and not worry about renting points.

I know this post may be a little negative, but the internet is open to anyone and people are always finding ways to scam others.

I agree with you on the trust thing. I was so worried the first time about the trip we rented points for. Just so you know--I think ebay would be the last lace t rent points. There is no recourse there for renting points. Can only give negative feedback. At least this is how I understand it.

Scamming is rare, especially through here, but it is a risk.

Your bigger risk, in my opinion is that a DVC rental is likely to be very difficult to cancel and get all (or even most, and frequently any) of your money back. Cancellation will vary from member to member, and probably from rental to rental (its easier to do earlier in the member's use year), but you should have the attitude that this is a final transaction and that if you need to cancel, you will not get any money back.

I agree with most that you should try to check out your DVC renter as best you can and write up a contract. I have rented my points many times (although I have never done a contract) and most of my renters have come back again. Make sure you trust them and as a previous poster stated go with your gut!! As long as it feels right you should be ok.

I am a DVC owner and felt the same way when I rented points out for the first time. I have rented to others twice and did a transfer once. My advice would be to find an owner who is willing to give references to previous renters, who is willing to take PayPal, willing to make DDP arrangements if you want them, and who will take 50% payment to make the reservation and then get the other 50% after sending you the confirmation when they receive it.
Please feel to PM me if you have any other questions. I also have some extra points that I may be interested in renting.
Good luck! Be careful....you will love DVC so much you might end up "owning"!
Sharon

I am a DVC member who has rented points needed to fulfill a planned cruise. The member I bought from was great. Emailed promptly and upon my payment to pay pal, the points were in my account within 2 days. (transfers take a day or two to process) I constantly search the boards to look for more points as every year I seem to run out! Such is the curse of the DVC member..you can never have enough! Good Luck!
steph

I rented from a member once, and the only reason was because they had a confirmed reservation and although I had the points, I couldn't get in when I wanted to. But the guy I rented from was great. I have huge trust issues when it comes to people and the internet, but the guy was awesome. Just don't fall for the immediate full pay, pushy types. I have read two horror stories about that and they broke my heart. I'd love to rent points out, but somehow I always end up needing more than I have! :rotfl2: Read the FAQs on these boards and always follow your gut. If it sounds too good to be true and your gut tells you something isn't right, back out and try someone else. And I agree with the others -- eventually you'll have to just buy your own DVC!! You won't be able to help it.:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter