How safe is it to rent DVC points

We actually had a vacation planned with all intent to go 1 1/2 years ago but had two hard deaths in the family and needed to postpone that trip due to broken hearts and needed to rent our points or lose them. We do not have that many points at all, and are now using alot of them for our own vacation later this week.

I'm very sorry for both your losses and everything that you had to go through and probably still are.

You must be very excited about your first DVC vacation. Have a wonderful trip.

Lisa

Lisa, I don't sharing facts should scare anyone, it should educate them. As stated there is risk on both sides and to think otherwise is very naive.

A contract is only a piece of paper that allows each party to know what is expected. If a problem arises that contract will only be worth the cost of the paper.

You can have someone sign a contract stating they are reponsible for damages but truly the member is reponsible and if damages occur, regardless of the contract, the member is going to pay. You can pursue legal action but many times that is more costly than the damage.

Same with renting, until you check in, you are at risk. Now we all know that the majority of these transactions go off without any problems or others would not continue to rent.

But to say that the transaction is risk free is completely inaccurate.

Well I must gracefully disagree with you on your definition of commercial renting, but that is probably another post for another time. .

It isn't my definition of commercial - commercial is defined as engaging in commerce. Commerce is defined as an exchange of commodities (usually money) with the intent to realize a profit. Usually, commerical implies repeated transactions - selling your used car is only commerce in the broadest sense of the word. Unless you are renting your points at cost, it is a commercial exchange.

Words in a contract have specific legal meaning. Now, whether Disney chooses to enforce that particular piece of their contract, or in what manner, or to what extent is up to them. I don't think they will do anything except crack down on people who are doing many transactions each year - they have no way to tell if member Bob Smith's reservation for Jane Doe is for a stranger who paid him or his sister. They can pretty much guess that Bob doesn't have twenty siblings with different last names that he is magnaimously sharing points with - and track his behavior.

(By the way, I don't care if people rent or don't rent commercially. Having the option to rent additional points from someone else, or rent extra points out to someone else is nice to have. I used to have an opinion on more commerical efforts, but not really any longer. Have a wonderful trip.)

It isn't my definition of commercial - commercial is defined as engaging in commerce. Commerce is defined as an exchange of commodities (usually money) with the intent to realize a profit. Usually, commerical implies repeated transactions - selling your used car is only commerce in the broadest sense of the word. Unless you are renting your points at cost, it is a commercial exchange.

Well that is a fine definition of the word commercial, right out of the dictionary (I looked it up too). It does not apply to what I have done with my points...I appreciate your wishes for me to have a nice trip, but again it is your definition of "commercial renting", not the definition of "commerce" that I respectfully disagree with!

There are plenty of persons out there who are doing your dictionary definition of "whatever" in respect to their monetary gains, but I can promise you that there are no "gains" on my membership. Trust me, you can look at my VISA bill (at least it is my Disney VISA bill that wears the brunt of my purchase). If there are people out there making a profit at doing this, I SURE hope they are yielding more monies than my peanut amount of points have done to my revolving debt that I gleefully pay to DISNEY so we can enjoy our upcoming trip!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Some of you "commercial renters" need to beware. Disney is cracking down on commercial renting. I surely wouldn't post that I purchased with the intent to rent and that I hadn't even used any of my own points for three years because I rented them all out.

Firstly, we are NOT "commercial renters" and do not appreciate you suggesting that we are; we are a family with three children who purchased DVC points so we could go to Disney. Secondly, if you go back and reread my earlier threads, I NEVER stated that I purchased with the sole intent to rent, just that this was an option we took full advantage of at the beginning to help get our foot in the door. Thirdly, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM stating that we have not used our points for the three years of ownership; it should not matter because any member is entitled to rent their points anytime, but in those 3 years we have lost my mother, my father-in-law and had a very ill child. As a matter of fact (if you do go reread my earlier threads) it was our DVC representative who, as a selling feature, told us of the option to rent our points if need be for any reason or just to help us defray our membership costs...he is even the one who referred us to the Disboards. So Disney can crack down all they want on "commercial renters" but they and you will have to look in a diifferent direction to find them.

I was simply helping others feel better about renting from members and offering ways for them to protect themselves, the kind way all of us DVC'rs help each other. By the way, we are going to WDW on OUR points on Wednesday.

First I want to tell you to have a wonderful vacation, I am sure you will enjoy staying at a DVC resort, they are all beautiful.
Life is unpredictable, and circumstances occur that are out of our control. So I don't think you should feel bad about renting out your points for the first 3 years. I work in healthcare, and also had a personal experience with a family member being very ill for an extended period of time. Lukily she has recovered, and we are now looking forward to our trip back to WDW. If someone would have told me this would have been possible a year ago, she spent 3+ months in intensive care, I would not have believed it.
As a first time renter of points I am so excited looking forward to our upcoming trip. The DVC member I have been working with has been very prompt with PM replies, I have also spoke with him on the phone. I have to admit that the number of posts he has added to my comfort level. I can only trust what he is telling me and I understood this when I entered into the deal. I have rec'd a confirmation number, and he is emailing my reservation confirmation to me. OKW here we come.
Again have a Magical vacation.:wizard:

Some of you "commercial renters" need to beware. Disney is cracking down on commercial renting. I surely wouldn't post that I purchased with the intent to rent and that I hadn't even used any of my own points for three years because I rented them all out.

Firstly, we are NOT "commercial renters" and do not appreciate you suggesting that we are; we are a family with three children who purchased DVC points so we could go to Disney. Secondly, if you go back and reread my earlier threads, I NEVER stated that I purchased with the sole intent to rent, just that this was an option we took full advantage of at the beginning to help get our foot in the door. Thirdly, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM stating that we have not used our points for the three years of ownership; it should not matter because any member is entitled to rent their points anytime, but in those 3 years we have lost my mother, my father-in-law and had a very ill child. As a matter of fact (if you do go reread my earlier threads) it was our DVC representative who, as a selling feature, told us of the option to rent our points if need be for any reason or just to help us defray our membership costs...he is even the one who referred us to the Disboards. So Disney can crack down all they want on "commercial renters" but they and you will have to look in a diifferent direction to find them.

I was simply helping others feel better about renting from members and offering ways for them to protect themselves, the kind way all of us DVC'rs help each other. By the way, we are going to WDW on OUR points on Wednesday.

Have a great trip. I understand about offsetting points. We thouht we were going on a cruise this March, but do to some other issues we had to cancel. In order to go on the cruise origianlly we rented all of this years points and part of next.
Enjoy your trip.

When I rent out points --once I get cocnfirmation I e-mail the renter and they have 10 day to send me 1/2. Once money and confirmation is received I mail confirmation to them. They then have 45-60 days before trip to pay remainder. If payment is not made by appointed time and with reminders I have the right to cancel trip. I have never had to do this. I always give my cell number to them as well.

First I want to tell you to have a wonderful vacation, I am sure you will enjoy staying at a DVC resort, they are all beautiful.
Life is unpredictable, and circumstances occur that are out of our control. So I don't think you should feel bad about renting out your points for the first 3 years. I work in healthcare, and also had a personal experience with a family member being very ill for an extended period of time. Lukily she has recovered, and we are now looking forward to our trip back to WDW. If someone would have told me this would have been possible a year ago, she spent 3+ months in intensive care, I would not have believed it.
As a first time renter of points I am so excited looking forward to our upcoming trip. The DVC member I have been working with has been very prompt with PM replies, I have also spoke with him on the phone. I have to admit that the number of posts he has added to my comfort level. I can only trust what he is telling me and I understood this when I entered into the deal. I have rec'd a confirmation number, and he is emailing my reservation confirmation to me. OKW here we come.
Again have a Magical vacation.:wizard:

Thank you for your well wishes and you also have a wonderful trip. I would be very relaxed about renting points. I would bet it is probably less than 1% of 1% of persons renting have any issues with the transaction. Communication and comfortness are vey important. Have Fun!

Have a great trip. I understand about offsetting points. We thouht we were going on a cruise this March, but do to some other issues we had to cancel. In order to go on the cruise origianlly we rented all of this years points and part of next.
Enjoy your trip.

When I rent out points --once I get cocnfirmation I e-mail the renter and they have 10 day to send me 1/2. Once money and confirmation is received I mail confirmation to them. They then have 45-60 days before trip to pay remainder. If payment is not made by appointed time and with reminders I have the right to cancel trip. I have never had to do this. I always give my cell number to them as well.

Thanks, we will enjoy. Have fun on the cruise, cannot wait to hear how much fun that would be...

Our first and only Disney trip we rented points and we are hooked. It all went very well (Thanks John and Cheri).

Just so you know, PayPal will not dispute the sale of a nontangible object.

Oh yes they will, please please trust me on this. I run a website that is subscription based for access and we have had people who have paid by Paypal, use our service come back and dispute the charge.

It has been my experience that PayPal has sided more with the person doing the dispute then the seller of the nontangible item. If I was the seller for a large ticket nontangible item I would be worried to death to accept PayPal because the buyer could come back months later and dispute it.

Ummm. That depends. The renter takes most of the risks upfront. The owner has many during the rental period and beyond. I guess you didn't catch the post where an owner stated that they had a bill for I believe over a thousand dollars. I think it was more.

And before anyone says that can't happen others billing your membership #. Well we treated good friends to a DVC stay last month. They were at OKW. I was at BW. The front desk allowed them to set up internet while they were there. There was no CC on the room....not theirs, not mine. They said "okay but it has to go on the member's name". It went on our "membership bill" or whatever you want to call it. It was not a problem. These are good friends, they paid and quite frankly I didn't care if I paid the $50. However, it shouldn't be possible to do that. It's wrong. And I let DVC know. But look how easily it happened.

Oh ack!! I just offered to possibly help someone who was looking for points because I am not using all mine this year. I have never rented to someone and just started lookng stuff up on the boards. But after reading this I am beginning to wonder if this would be a good idea or not.

To the OP:

Minimize your risk, stress and grief by only renting from a member of the PDRA!!!

Like lawyers, used car salespeople, carnival barkers, timeshare sellers, door-to-door salespeople they are held to a higher standard, and have passed testing requirements (only in Uganda).

Hope that helps!

-Tony

Actually that was a joke. The only safe way is to book through CRO. Having said that, check a potential renter's prior posts, are they Disney nuts, or just business people. Do they have a sense of humor, or are they a stick in the mud?

Get referrences (I suggest at least 10), check their ebay history if they have one, get a written contract.

Expect to pay more than $10-$11 a point for experienced Owners. Once you have your first rental under your belt, it becomes much easier and less stressful.

Hey your artistically capable, can you make me a PDRA logo?

Oh ack!! I just offered to possibly help someone who was looking for points because I am not using all mine this year. I have never rented to someone and just started lookng stuff up on the boards. But after reading this I am beginning to wonder if this would be a good idea or not.

Hey,

I just suddenly reallized that, unlike renting, my name was on that room occupancy list too as I wanted to check them in. But regardless, my friend let them know who she was, ie. not the owner, and they still let it go through.

I wrote them both b/c a lot of people think, and a DISer stated that, the owner is without many risks at all. Untrue. Both sides have risks.

There are so many wonderful renters/owners out there. And the absolute majority of transactions are smooth. So many are done every day. I just really hate when erroneous information is put out. Doesn't help any of us.

Thanks for the paypal information. One DISer was very clear in an earlier thread that it is a risk to the owner for the exact reasons you stated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter