how to get to supermarket?

ralph Nelson

Earning My Ears
Going to be at SSR oct 30 - nov 4 and will need to shop for some food.
Is there a way to get there from SSR will not have car ? Maybe i could use my dvc reps ?lol ;-)

There are grocery delivery services, you could take a taxi, or walk to Goodings if you are just buying a few things.

We plan on just walking to Goodings which is about a mile away. It is a little more expensive, but it beats having to pay $20 for a taxi or the $15-20 shopping fee just to buy a loaf of bread, butter and some bottled water. If we buy a lot more stuff, then we'll just take a taxi back.

Mark099 said:
...(snip)....
We plan on just walking to Goodings which is about a mile away. It is a little more expensive, but it beats having to pay $20 for a taxi or the $15-20 shopping fee just to buy a loaf of bread, butter and some bottled water. If we buy a lot more stuff, then we'll just take a taxi back.
If you are only buying a few things, why not just get them at SSR? I don't think the SSR prices are that much more expensive than Goodings - I'd rather do that than take 2 or 3 hours to go to Goodings.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
If you are only buying a few things, why not just get them at SSR? I don't think the SSR prices are that much more expensive than Goodings - I'd rather do that than take 2 or 3 hours to go to Goodings.

Best wishes -

Two to three hours? It's a 15-20 minute walk there and back.

You are probably a much faster walker than I am, LOL - but it seems like it took forever to get across the busy highway that goes by Crossroads. It's probably 5 minutes to the SSR store.

Best wishes -

We have done the walk a lot. Sometimes even with a car back at our hotel. If nothing else, after you have pigged out at Olive Garden's all-you-can-eat pasta special it forces you to work some of it off.

Another way to look at it is this. If you have walked from the resort bus stops to the world showcase at Epcot you have pretty much walked the same distance.

Can you give some general directions on how to get to Goodings from SSR? I'll probably have a nine and six year old with me. We will be there over Thanksgiving and I'm not sure if I want to have groceries delivered or try to go shop myself. I'm leaning toward delivery, but it is nice to know that there is a grocercy store so close.

With six and nine year old kids along, personally I would either have groceries delivered or take a taxi. They may find it a long walk especially if they have already done a lot of walking at the airport or parks that day.

It's interesting that walking is considered to be "very convenient" when it comes to walking to a theme park from a DVC resort, but any other form of walking at WDW, even when traveling comparable distances, is labelled as bad, a waste of time, and too strenuous to attempt.

Another example of things that make you go HMMMM....

jarestel said:
It's interesting that walking is considered to be "very convenient" when it comes to walking to a theme park from a DVC resort, but any other form of walking at WDW, even when traveling comparable distances, is labelled as bad, a waste of time, and too strenuous to attempt.

Another example of things that make you go HMMMM....

It's probably a matter of the destination being worth the effort. I'm thrilled to walk to Epcot in the am, but the thought of walking a mile to a grocery store, then back the same distance with armloads of groceries gives me hives.

I'll be ordering ours and having them delivered. :flower:

DVCajun said:
It's probably a matter of the destination being worth the effort. I'm thrilled to walk to Epcot in the am, but the thought of walking a mile to a grocery store, then back the same distance with armloads of groceries gives me hives.

I'll be ordering ours and having them delivered. :flower:

I guess the idea of walking being good vs bad all depends on what one is trying to justify. As with most things concerning WDW and DVC, it's an individual perception.

Thanks, guys! :flower: We usually do a quick run into the store at the Orange Blossom Trail exit but I might give this a try this time.

I'm not sure how long you are staying, but I was a few days at OKW early Sept. and went to the General Store. It was overpriced, but we did ok! I was actually surprised at how much there was.

the walk to Goodings is not that bad. You may want to take the us from DTD into the resort on your way back as the buses for DTD/Resorts are right across from where you cross to go to Hotel Plaza Blvd. and then across to Crossroads and Goodings.

It's one mile from the traffic light at Downtown Disney to Goodings. There is a very nice walkway to get you there. I would walk, take my time shopping and then call for a taxi to take me and the groceries back. I would not want to have a taxi sitting in the parking lot on my dime, as I shop and I would not want to carry my groceries back while walking.

Here's another option for anyone else who's thing about what to do...

We rented a car for one day from Nat'l at the Dolphin. I had a coupon in my Entertainment book and ended up paying $25 for the one day rental. We went to the new SuperTarget on 192?? We were doing a week's worth of shopping, so it was worth it to me to shop there instead of at the BW. I shop a lot at Super Target at home, so I was pretty familiar with the store and the items available. That made it go fairly quickly.

wegoshop.com is what I'm planning on using.

$20 fee! That's it! You can tell them which store to use (even more than one store if you like) and they deliver it to you for only a $20 fee! Time is money at WDW. I'm more than happy to pay them $20 + tip so I don't have to mess with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter