Hurricane Dorian

We are currently staying at Pop Century. Does anyone know how the resorts handle hurricanes? How is the food situation? Do they hand out flashlights?

We are scheduled to fly back to Chicago on Saturday early afternoon. I'm hoping that flight still goes off as scheduled.

We are currently staying at Pop Century. Does anyone know how the resorts handle hurricanes? How is the food situation? Do they hand out flashlights?
This is my account right after Hurricane Matthew:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...d-the-resort-deal-with-the-situation.3554350/
Regarding food, at AKL for Hurricane Matthew, there was the Boma buffet, with seating at Boma or Jiko. Regular (full) Boma dinner prices were charged, which was tough since we had no choice but to eat there. Same for breakfast, although apparently, there was a way you could make a box and pay $15 instead of the full price but they were not advertising it. We were not allowed to leave the resort for approximately a day. Very little damage and parks re-opened. I think they learned a lot from Matthew. I think for Irma they were better prepared and had some box food for people to take back to the rooms and it was a reduced price. Sor

This is my account right after Hurricane Matthew:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...d-the-resort-deal-with-the-situation.3554350/
Regarding food, at AKL for Hurricane Matthew, there was the Boma buffet, with seating at Boma or Jiko. Regular (full) Boma dinner prices were charged, which was tough since we had no choice but to eat there. Same for breakfast, although apparently, there was a way you could make a box and pay $15 instead of the full price but they were not advertising it. We were not allowed to leave the resort for approximately a day. Very little damage and parks re-opened. I think they learned a lot from Matthew. I think for Irma they were better prepared and had some box food for people to take back to the rooms and it was a reduced price. Sor

Thank you!

Pop Century does not have internal corridors. If you are told to stay in your room, you will not be able to leave it until further notice, even to get food. They will make some food available to bring to the rooms, which will be easier now that every room has a fridge (assuming there is power). I haven't weathered one there since Frances, and at that point I think I had half a fried chicken, a liter of Diet Coke, a jar of peanut butter, crackers, boxed cereal and some ice that I got at the food court. Don't know what they would have now. Frances was large and slow moving, and guests were confined to rooms for two days. Never lost power though.

I stayed at Pop during Hurricane Irma 2 years ago. The parks were closed for 2 days (Sun/Mon) and the worst of the storm came in at about 1 a.m. early Monday morning. I picked up a family size pizza Saturday night for dinner and had leftovers Sunday and Monday. We never lost power then either. I was on the 3rd floor of the Walkman building with a pool view. My side of the building had less debris strewn around than the other side. The 50s looked like they had more downed trees than the 80s.

Keep an eye on the resort TV channel. They will post updates there, like when you are allowed to leave your room at your own risk (not that that stopped people from walking around outside when they were supposed to be in their rooms!)

I'd try to either make a run to a store or have a store deliver to me prior to the storm hitting if possible. If things are downgraded and you don't ever need it, no biggie. But if you're in your resort or room for a day, it helps to not have to be forced to deal with the prices and/or lines at the restaurants and food courts in the resorts for all of you food needs .

Please keep up to date on Dorian. The latest on the news it could be a Major Hurricane ( possible cat. 3) before reaching Florida. I live right in the projected landfall and being from Fl I take no chances. Made Hotel reservations in my hometown of P'cola. If it comes in Brevard County it will also impact Orlando. Stay safe out there!
Be careful with those plans.....some models are saying it will head here after crossing Florida. Traffic is not worth it. We drove back home from Orlando last year with Irma coming in and it took 3 times as long as it should have to drive it. I would get a hotel room at Disney.

It is looking like Category 3 at landfall and Category 2 crossing the state to the Gulf Coast. Stores in Orlando are already running out of water and food as people stock up. If you arrive on Fri or Sat, you better bring your own supplies with you. There will be nothing to run to the store to get.

So all the latest reports within the past hour Dorian at a Cat 3 hitting Florida on Monday! So my guess is all Orlando flights will be canceled? We are scheduled to fly out of Orlando on Monday evening and I am seriously thinking of cancelling the entire trip.
Really can't get stuck in Disney as much as I would love to. High school and college kids need to be back in class. Can't miss days waiting to get out.

I have never been in Florida during a hurricane. From most of the models I just watched this past hour it is almost for sure hitting the east coast of Florida somewhere mid to north range. Will Orlando shut the airport down?

Thinking I may be better off moving our trip dates. Would love to hear from locals and people that have experienced this before.
It’s a bit too far out to know for certain where it’s going. If it does hit Orlando on Monday the airport will definitely be cancelling all flights. I live in Florida and would not recommend anyone coming into a hurricane. If you can move your trip I would.

It’s a bit too far out to know for certain where it’s going. If it does hit Orlando on Monday the airport will definitely be cancelling all flights. I live in Florida and would not recommend anyone coming into a hurricane. If you can move your trip I would.
I second that. I've been through enough hurricanes on both Fl coasts and they are not fun, even if you are at WDW. Another issue is gas. If you are driving you may have trouble finding a gas station on the coast that has fuel. People tend to fill up and also get gas for generators. The lines before and after Irma were long and some stations had none at all.

EDIT: My DH decided he did not want an 8 hr drive so....call us crazy....we booked a room at Gran Destino Tower ( 1 hr. drive) .WDW has their own power station so no worries on power loss.

Be careful with those plans.....some models are saying it will head here after crossing Florida. Traffic is not worth it. We drove back home from Orlando last year with Irma coming in and it took 3 times as long as it should have to drive it. I would get a hotel room at Disney.
Thanks for the concern. Yep, we are well aware of the issue with traffic. Checked Disney already and rooms are few and far between and expensive, Pensacola is my hometown so we have a place to stay. Right now we are directly in the landfall area on the Space Coast.

Last edited:
I'm asking this in a most respectful way: Why are folks still planning to come or stay at Disney if they know a hurricane is coming? I was once stranded in a tropical storm/hurricane category 1 and it wasn't fun at all. This hurricane is going to be much stronger than that. Are people not scared??

EDIT: My DH decided he did not want an 8 hr drive so....call us crazy....we booked a room at Gran Destino Tower ( 1 hr. drive) .WDW has their own power station so no worries on power loss.

Thanks for the concern. Yep, we are well aware of the issue with traffic. Checked Disney already and rooms are few and far between and expensive, Pensacola is my hometown so we have a place to stay. Right now we are directly in the landfall area on the Space Coast.
Hmmm, I think the people that went through a power outage last week at WDW due to a power surge may disagree with you. ;)

I'm asking this in a most respectful way: Why are folks still planning to come or stay at Disney if they know a hurricane is coming? I was once stranded in a tropical storm/hurricane category 1 and it wasn't fun at all. This hurricane is going to be much stronger than that. Are people not scared??
I think it is for a variety of reasons. Ignorance of the power of a potential storm and how far-reaching the effects can be, they have longer vacations so can salvage most of the time, inflexibility in rescheduling, etc.

Gotta ask this. What are the crowds like after a Hurricane?

I'm interested in this as well just out of curiosity. Do people usually postpone a week and then things are super busy a week or so after a hurricane? We are headed down the 10th-13th and I wonder if it will be busier because people will push this week/next week off?

Stay safe for those of you who live there or are braving it!

Agree with you. We did the Fall Into Magic package last year which was over Labor Day and I would have booked it again this year if it was offered, thankfully it Wasn’t. That being said, I knew it was hurricane season and I would have absolutely cancelled had one been churning and threatening Florida. And Disney said they are very generous with cancelling for hurricanes, especially in this case with state of emergencies already being declared.

The issue with hurricanes are seldom during the storm. People do underestimate the afterstorm. It hot and humid. Mosquitos increase due to standing water. Power issues, gas lines, flooding in places, it’s not fun. After going through Andrewm The storm itself doesn’t usually scare me, but the after is what I dread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter