Hurricane Idalia - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

Depending on where you are driving from it might make sense to divert more westward and come down I-75. Of course that really depends on the path of the storm once it makes landfall.
I'm coming from central NC; so I'm looking at heading to Charlotte then Atlanta, but I'd really like to avoid Atlanta if possible. But, I really just won't know until it's time to leave early Thurs. I am contemplating canceling Thurs night, but I'd rather not if possible.

If anyone cares, this is the "projected" track as of right now. This can change at any time and is really an educated guess at this point but people seem to like it.
Screenshot_20230828_102332_SkyTower.jpg

I'm coming from central NC; so I'm looking at heading to Charlotte then Atlanta, but I'd really like to avoid Atlanta if possible. But, I really just won't know until it's time to leave early Thurs. I am contemplating canceling Thurs night, but I'd rather not if possible.
Sounds like a good driving plan. I don't think you'll have a problem on Thursday. Suggest though that you keep your gas tank no lower than 1/2 full, especially as you approach the major impact area. That's in case of widespread power outages that close gas stations along the way.

If you want to avoid Atlanta . . .

If you take 85 from Charlotte toward Atlanta, you can hop off on Hwy 441 at Commerce, GA, heading south toward Athens. Take 441 all the way to Eatonton and pick up Hwy 129 just south of town. 129 will take you to Macon, where you can pick up 75, completely avoiding Atlanta. I take that route going from Florida to the Smokies, only I stay on 441 all the way from Eatonton to NC.

If you want to avoid Atlanta . . .

If you take 85 from Charlotte toward Atlanta, you can hop off on Hwy 441 at Commerce, GA, heading south toward Athens. Take 441 all the way to Eatonton and pick up Hwy 129 just south of town. 129 will take you to Macon, where you can pick up 75, completely avoiding Atlanta. I take that route going from Florida to the Smokies, only I stay on 441 all the way from Eatonton to NC.
I'm also looking at heading to Columbia then Augusta then Macon to get to I-75

Thanks for the links. I am wondering what to do if I arrive a day later for my DVC rental through a 3rd party website. Not sure I can call WDW directly for a DVC room not booked through them. Don't want my reservation cancelled for not showing up on Wednesday, but since my room should be ready after 4 PM Wednesday, does that mean I can get into it Thursday morning?
I have arrived at 5;30 am the next day due to a short Yes sarcastic flight delay walked to my room and opened the door with my magic band. You can call the hotel with your reservation number and let them know if you will be going into the next day as in showing up Friday or very late on Thursday.

I don’t know about all the airlines, but United has a travel alerts page that explains airport impacts and details on rescheduling. They just updated with Idalia with affected airports. Note, though, that is says *may* be impacted. I’m sure other airlines have something similar. Search United travel alerts…

I will add my experience of a Tropical Storm (not a Hurricane) at AKL. The parks were closed expected. It rained heavy all day and there was some wind - hard to tell how strong from a window. Disney did a great job with food and making movies, games available. Yes the animals were out. We did have to remove our patio furniture. There was never any fear of flooding or safety... The day after the parks opened a few hours later but did open. I will add the airlines were different at that time.... from my recent experiences with regular rain (like a normal rainy day) if you are leaving Disney around this time have a plan B. If you are going check the fights a lot they cancel hours before if you are lucky the night before. In general you can (not sure if all) see where the plane is coming from sometimes days before if it is an effected area expect a cancelation or long delay.

GADisneyDad14 appreciate all the helpful links. Everyone stay safe.

A bit off topic love the Josh quote. Our family misses Josh a lot. We would not eat at a place until Josh did a review. We knew his journalistic integrity would not let us down. A rarity among blogger/vloggers not looking for the next freebie or press event invite. Of course, his sense of style kept us in stitches. My best memory was when a manager asked us what how we heard about Frontera Cocina. After our conversation we saw him in the distance staring at this phone reading Josh’s review.

Tampa International Airport will suspend all commercial operations beginning at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday ahead of Tropical Storm Idalia, with the Airport remaining closed until it can assess any damages later in the week.

Follow the Airport on X (formerly Twitter) @FlyTPA for the latest updates related to the storm.

The closure will allow the Airport and its partners to prepare the airfield and terminals, including the securing of jet bridges, ground equipment and any remaining aircraft before Idalia’s expected landfall early Wednesday as a potential major hurricane. Some cargo and private aircraft operations could continue overnight, but all air traffic will cease by 7 a.m. Tuesday morning. The Airport, including the Main Terminal and Airsides will be closed to all visitors and is not equipped to function as a shelter.

Link: https://news.tampaairport.com/tampa...y-tuesday-ahead-of-potential-major-hurricane/

Dave

I have a trip planned for this coming Friday to Monday. I know the storm will be past but am wondering if we may have a problem finding gas once we get into Florida.

FYI - Disney has updated their weather status page: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/

Weather Updates & Information​

Walt Disney World Resort is currently operating under normal conditions. We are closely monitoring the path of the projected weather as we continue to prioritize the safety of our Guests and Cast Members.​

Last updated on August 28, 2023 at 3:00 PM

We are here and so torn about what to do. Supposed to leave Thursday. We drive, so we are debating on whether to leave tomorrow morning and beat the storm or ride it out and extend our stay.
The latest Weather Channel path charts / timings shows that it will be a TS or a slow Category 1 and crossing the FL line into Georgia by Wed. 2 PM.

It looks like the Savannah area of GA may receive up to 5 inches. And then catching the coast of SC and NC on the way out Thursday 2 AM - 2 PM.

By Thursday the TS is scheduled to be back over the Atlantic Ocean. Note: it may change path so check for the 11 PM update tonight

Dave

Anyone know how Fort Wilderness usually fares with this level of rainfall? I know it can flood, but I’m not sure if I should expect issues this weekend.

@acgardne the main issue Ft. Wideness faces Hurricanes is wind. Very high sustained winds wreak havoc with Fort. Dropped tree limbs make it hard or even impossible to navigate around the Fort.

So far projections don't show much impact to Ft. Wilderness after Wednesday AM at this time. But keep checking as these Hurricanes can and due change tracks.

Dave

Anyone know how Fort Wilderness usually fares with this level of rainfall? I know it can flood, but I’m not sure if I should expect issues this weekend.

Often FW, the Poly Bungalows, and WL Cabins are the first closures announced when Disney deems the storm strong enough. If it’s been a bad storm, FW can take awhile to reopen (like several days if not longer), so much potential there for downed trees/limbs and cleanup can take a long time. I can’t remember off the top of my head how long it was closed after Ian but I recall it being awhile (granted that storm was more of a direct hit compared to the current forecast here). TBD if we’ll get to that point with this storm, but I hope your weekend trip works out for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter