• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

On way down now from Knoxville, TN. Just north of Macon right now. Have stopped several times to top off tank just for assurance. Lots of utility trucks headed down but has been manageable so far. Gas has been not an issue so far.

Going (way) back to the point about people being confused why overseas visitors may not have been prepared: we have 75mph winds forecast for today and it's not headline news. The weatherman just said some trees might come down so be careful and that was it. That's one of the reasons many Brits wouldn't have known how to prepare. Unfortunately 75mph winds arestandard here! :sad1:
Additionally it takes some learning to realize all the trees on this very flat, prone to flooding, bit of land cannot hold up during a bit of wind.

Supposed to check into Vero Beach on 9/20, the resort home page simply says it is closed.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your answer - we do have the gas buddy app and it shows almost no gas from Tallahassee east and south. The problem I have with gas buddy - if I understand it correctly - it relies on people reporting in so might not be the most current information.

True, but during the recent gas shortage in Dallas after Harvey, it was generally accurate.

This link seems to have helpful information on the overall gas situation:

http://business.gasbuddy.com/hurricane-irma-live-updates-fuel-availability-station-outages/

Thanks!

That's my understanding as well however if I was a gas station owner I would use it too to announce I have it so don't abandon using it still

That is true too! Not going to abandon it just was hoping to get some real time info from Disers. Thanks for the help!

Does anyone know if Magical Express is operating from MCO to the resorts? I just tried calling and they said the lines were reserved until Sept 14 for people trying to leave the resorts in the next 48 hours. I am scheduled to arrive tomorrow night (fingers crossed that it isn't canceled!), after originally being scheduled on the magical express for today.

If it is running, will I be able to get on it when I arrive, even if I haven't scheduled for my flight?

Not about Disney - but anyone traveling I75 & I10 today or anyone east and south of Destin could you report on the gas situation? My daughter is supposed to drive to Tampa tomorrow and I want to update her on the gas problems. Thanks
Have her use the Gas Buddy app.

Does anyone know if Magical Express is operating from MCO to the resorts? I just tried calling and they said the lines were reserved until Sept 14 for people trying to leave the resorts in the next 48 hours. I am scheduled to arrive tomorrow night (fingers crossed that it isn't canceled!), after originally being scheduled on the magical express for today.

If it is running, will I be able to get on it when I arrive, even if I haven't scheduled for my flight?
I can't imagine they would refuse you. The bus has to get back to WDW to pick up more people.

I work for a small business that through the 28 years I've worked here has gone from 11 employees to 100 and now there are two, me and the boss. I was told not to come in yesterday because of the wind and rain here in Georgia. I am salaried for right now (will switch to hourly next year) but accrue comp. time. I won't have the comp time to cover yesterday so it will have to come off my vacation. Even when we were at 100 employees if a hourly employee couldn't get in for weather, they didn't get paid.
That is awful. :sad2: TWO employees and the owner still can't pay you for a day off?

Even within large companies it's different. My partner works for a large telecom and when we were up north the big blizzard of 11 dropped snow so fast that it wasn't till noon before we could leave the he house you could t see the road (I had a snowdrift as tall as my pool out six feet )

Then that office was told if you can't come in to work use a vacation day

Now that we are here his new boss said don't worry you'll be paid for the time off because of Irma

Hello-

Heading down tomorrow and wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the tap water situation after Irma? We drink so much water and usually just ask for the cup of ice water, but should I plan on buying water bottles instead?

I also don't know what will be available for bottles, so I'd pack them and bring them in our food suitcase.

Hello-

Heading down tomorrow and wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the tap water situation after Irma? We drink so much water and usually just ask for the cup of ice water, but should I plan on buying water bottles instead?

I also don't know what will be available for bottles, so I'd pack them and bring them in our food suitcase.
Disney water is fine. Especially if u use water from the soda fountain. I don't mind their tap but to each their own

Even within large companies it's different. My partner works for a large telecom and when we were up north the big blizzard of 11 dropped snow so fast that it wasn't till noon before we could leave the he house you could t see the road (I had a snowdrift as tall as my pool out six feet )

Then that office was told if you can't come in to work use a vacation day

Now that we are here his new boss said don't worry you'll be paid for the time off because of Irma
Yeah it can really vary - I work for a great company with over 500 employees.

We have a handful in Houston and there is no issue we are paying them during this time.
We also have a handful in Florida and I assume it will be the same.

Personally I see it as short sighted to not take care of employees in these unusual situations - you hope that the employee's will remember this and be fair in return.
That is not always the case - but I give them the benefit of the doubt

As for snow - I can see where that might be a little different. You can't have people calling in every time it snows and taking advantage and where do you draw the line.
But when there is a declared state of emergency or we tell you not to come in - then that's a little different - and that does happen more and more with snow.

Disney water is fine. Especially if u use water from the soda fountain. I don't mind their tap but to each their own
It is - I tested it once and it was pretty good - better than where I live anyway.

I still bring a zero water filter with me and that does a great job

That being said - it may not be as good after a storm like this - but after going through a zero water filter I still think it will be fine

It is - I tested it once and it was pretty good - better than where I live anyway.

I still bring a zero water filter with me and that does a great job

That being said - it may not be as good after a storm like this - but after going through a zero water filter I still think it will be fine

BTW - i am pretty sure the water from the soda fountain is filtered - as is much of the bottled water - it is filtered water not spring water.
Also in the end you often dont know where that bottled water comes from (the big gallon off name jugs for example) - and it is not unusual for it to be from some public water source

Well, I jinxed us. Traffic has gotten worse--and still north of Macon, but steadily moving. Stopping at McDonald's so hubby can get food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter