I am so upset and don't know what to do....

I may be alone in this but if you told her she can no longer come with then I think you owe her a refund.

Midwest airlines said NO REFUNDS but when it was THEIR decision to stop flying from Milwaukee when my flight was scheduled they gave me a full refund.

If you had said I know you broke up and it may be weird but you paid your money you can come with if you want... and she said I don't want to then it would be her problem... if she would still go as a friend and your son said it would be weird so she can no longer come then she deserves her money back one way is her backing out on the trip the other is getting the trip taken away.

You know, this is a good way to look at it actually. It's not really the ex-GF's fault that she can't come along. So, you probably have to give her the option. There's a good chance she'll say no.

I don't see how the mother is being a witch by wanting her money back...:confused3

I would make sure the grandfather gets any refund money that you get from selling any of the tickets and the airlines ticket as well. If it is the grandfather that paid for it, it is his money and must go back to him. The mom does not even have on word to say in this matter.

Getting the money was between the girl and her grandfather and when she gave you the money to get the tickets, you did. Now that she won't be going, all the money goes back to where it came from, that is all the money that CAN be refunded and any tickets that cannot be refunded and/or sold should go back to the grandfather as well.

The girls mom has no business or right to ask you for the moiney back, it is not even her money that was spent on the tickets. Sounds like she thinks she can get a little extra cash here by asking for the money. I would not even have any dealings with her. I would deal only with the girl and her grandfather.

Get his number from the girl if you don't already have it and explain to him what happens when trips to Disney/Universal/ some of the special events are cancelled because now someone cannot go. If the tickets cannot be refunded, some can be used again (the ones with no expiration date) and again it is a lesson learned. You have no obligation to refund any money unless you get a refund for the tickets. Then the money goes back and any unused tickets that cannot be sold go to them as well.

I don't see ANY reason for the belief that the mother should be given a refund by you personally.:confused: That is outrageous and should not be a consideration at all, EVER in this situation!

ariel

About the MVMCP ticket, you should try calling Disney and explain to them the situation. They will look at your order history and they will see that you are only returning 1 ticket, not the whole order, and then maybe they can offer you to return the ticket by mail and do a reimbursement to your credit card.

I'm giving you this advice because last year our original date to WDW was December and I had the MVMCP tickets already, but then in November we had to change the dates to January 2008. I thought that we lost the money of the MVMCP since we were not going, but then someone here on the DisBoards told me to try with Disney just in case, and I did. They offered me to change the tickets for the PPP and since those tickets are cheaper than MVMCP they reimbursed the difference to my credit card.

The worst they can say is no, so try it anyway.:thumbsup2

I don't see ANY reason for the belief that the mother should be given a refund by you personally.:confused: That is outrageous and should not be a consideration at all, EVER in this situation!

I think what some people are saying is that it is the OP who has made the decision that the ex-GF cannot go with them on the trip. If the lady said she didn't want to go any more, than that's one thing but the OP is telling her she is uninvited. I think that does make a difference.

After reading the rest of this entire post I deleted my comments............I am keeping my opinions to myself................sorry..........

The truth of the matter is that money is not yours, regardless of if the mother or grandfather paid for the tickets. Just give them their money back and all will be fine. There's no need to cause controversies that are unecessary.

The truth of the matter is that money is not yours, regardless of if the mother or grandfather paid for the tickets. Just give them their money back and all will be fine. There's no need to cause controversies that are unecessary.

The truth of the matter is that she doesn't have the money to give back. If she did, she'd happily give it back. She did what she was expected to do with the money - she bought non-refundable tickets. If only the solution were as simple as you suggest.

Actually it is quite simple. If the tickets are non-refundable then give them the tickets back and let them do w/ them as they please. Problem solved...

The breakup was mutual I thought? :confused3 GIve the tickets to the grandfather and be done with it. If you want to try to call Disney to see if they would give you back money for one ticket fine but the ticket doesn't expire until you use it so they can use it in the future. If in the future a friend was invited to come with us (BIG IF) then I would say to the parents are you sure. If you have me get the tickets and you back out then you have tickets, not a refund! Live and learn!

My ds (18) wanted his gf of over 2 years to come to Disney with us. So I agreed (seperate rooms though). Well everything is going well and all of a sudden he tells me they broke up. :scared: I kept my fingers crossed that they would make up and she could still come with us...especially since she gave me $1000 for her tickets to Disney, Universal, Disney Queat, MVMCP, Sea World and the Pirate Dinner show. Including airfare etc. But no such luck, he says they've been arguing for about 4 months now and decided to break up before they hate each other. Which I respect, but now what? :confused3
Well, the airline tells me that I they can't refund they can only give her credit. She's ok with that. But now what the heck do I do with the tickets that are locked up in our safe. :sad2: I offered her the tickets and her mother being the witch that she is said no she wants the money. Does anyone have any ideas? I am NOT trying to make a profit I just want this girl to get her ticket price back. :idea: She is a sweetheart and I still love her to death..:love: ..wish son would realize that too, but I can't force it. Any suggestions?

Theme park ticket, concert tickets, airline tickets are generally nonrefundable. Give witchy mom, her daughters tickets and tell her to fight it out with Disney.
I think every one here has a story where they put out the dough for disney and got burned. I don't do it anymore.

The breakup was mutual I thought? :confused3 GIve the tickets to the grandfather and be done with it.

These are just my thoughts. I'm not a lawyer.

Legally, the break-up and the vacation have nothing to do with each other. The OP and the girl (or girl's grandfather or girl's mother) had an agreement (i.e. contract). The OP was given money and in exchange, she was supposed to provide a vacation to this girl. Since it is the OP who is breaking that contract by saying that the girl is no longer invited, I think she owes the money back.

I'm not sure if this is the way a judge would look at it but it is a possibility. It might be how the girl's mother is looking at it.

These are just my thoughts. I'm not a lawyer.

Legally, the break-up and the vacation have nothing to do with each other. The OP and the girl (or girl's grandfather or girl's mother) had an agreement (i.e. contract). The OP was given money and in exchange, she was supposed to provide a vacation to this girl. Since it is the OP who is breaking that contract by saying that the girl is no longer invited, I think she owes the money back.

I'm not sure if this is the way a judge would look at it but it is a possibility. It might be how the girl's mother is looking at it.

Did the OP say the girl isn't invited or did the girl and son decide this amongst themselves? I may have missed that. If the girl decided she wasn't going then she is breaking the contract. The mom was given money to obtain tickets which she did. The check was from the grandfather so I would give everything back to him.

Did the OP say the girl isn't invited or did the girl and son decide this amongst themselves? I may have missed that.

In the info that the OP gave, she didn't indicate that she gave the girl the option. Again, if she had, and the girl had decided not to go then it would have been the girl who broke the contract. However, the OP said that she decided not to let her come because her son mentioned that he would be uncomfortable. Since the son is a minor, it is the OP breaking the contract.

you are a good person to do your best to help this girl. sorry this turned out. It is hard for the whole family when long term relationships end. I agree that bringing the girl would be a bad idea. Your son and his ex sound mature to end things this way. Good luck to you and have a magical time in disney.

Sorry you are going through this...you sound like a very caring person!

I would definitely just give her what is owed: the airline refund, the tickets you were ASKED to purchase...the end. The only other option is if your son were to pay her back. It is not your responsibility to do that, though. You did what was asked of you. Is she 18 (legal) as well?

I remember being 18 and living at home and I had more extra money than my parents because I was working rent free. :rolleyes1

We had the same situation last year. My DS & his GF along with other DS & his GF and DH and I had a trip planned for last September. We planned it the Feb. before. Both DS had been going w/their GF's for over 5 years each. A couple of months before our trip, DS told us they had broken up. We couldn't get refund or change the name on airfare so she had the credit (even though we paid for it). We were able to call Disney and explain the situation. We didn't get anything back for the room since we were staying at the 2 br BWV but they did credit us her tickets and meal plan.

Is there a reason they won't do that for you?

I have not read through all the pages of posts so I am not sure if anyone suggested selling your ticket on EBAY. Unused tickets can be sold. Often, they sell for more than you paid (why I do not know...). I would think that would be an option for getting all the money back. Personally, I would hand the girl the ticket and mention that option to her. Also, I would not have communication with the girl's mother. I would only speak to the girl directly. You do sound like a very nice person.:)

You cannot by law sell your tickets. They are non-transferrable. They say that right on the ticket
Disney has a team of people removing ticket and fastpass auctions all the time. Many slip through. MOST of the tix from eBay are scams. They are generally used tix and the gate people will check the ticket against your fingerprint read out. You will be asked to turn over the tickets and not get anything in return. You will have to buy all new tickets.

This of course does not hold for an unused ticket that would not match a fingerprint, since there would no be one's fingerprints on record already BUT, it is illegal to sell tickets which say right on them "Non-transferrable" I would not buy a Disney ticket on eBay if it were the last place to buy one.

In this case it has not been used, but is still verboten to sell on eBay and since it never expires until it is used, the girl can save it for when she wants to go to Disney or call them and tell them the situation. Disney has been known to refund in some cases.

But do NOT sell Disney tickets on eBay, your auction could be tagged and removed and your seller name given the boot for illegal sales.

I always report Disney tickets auctions on eBay. I am avid eBayer and it just makes me so mad that some family may have their vacation ruined and have to spend hundreds of dollars more for tickets when Disney takes these used tix away from them.
I have heard horror stories about a family having to buy all new tix at WDW when the tix they bought on eBay were taken from them and Disney has no responsibility to replace them. The family bought them on eBay, they are responsible for getting legitimate tix.

And even if they are unused tix, Disney removes ANY and EVERY Disney passes from eBay (or tries to keep up with it). A second party is not supposed to benefit and make money from another person's or company's copyright, merch or services. It just is not worth it.

Perhaps they can be sold elsewhere, to a friend, or someone who may want to go sometime on the future and not have to worry about the ticket, they will have it on hand already, but Disney DOES remove ANY ticket auctions from eBay due to the many scams, people making more money off the tickets by selling them for more, (Disney REALLY frowns on this!) and the many other problems with tix they have had.

ariel

This of course does not hold for an unused ticket that would not match a fingerprint, since there would no be one's fingerprints on record already BUT, it is illegal to sell tickets which say right on them "Non-transferrable" I would not buy a Disney ticket on eBay if it were the last place to buy one.

I don't believe it is illegal to sell a ticket that says non-transferrable on the back. It may be against Disney's policy and it may be against ebay's policy, but as long as you don't misrepresent what you're selling, there shouldn't be any legal issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter