• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I did it - booked at Grand CA for 1/2-1/6

Tggrtoes

Earning My Ears
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on how to craft a trip for my DS11 after the loss of DH earlier this month after very hard 2 year battle with cancer. I booked today and we are staying in a woods/courtyard view (my guess is we will spend mid day daily in room... is there reason to book different “class” of room?).

Doing 3 day hoppers with MaxPass, but contemplating going out on New Years Day so that we can have full 4 days in park. (Any insights/suggestions?)

Arrival night will be Goofys kitchen if available and then we will do Minnie &friends sometime during trip.

I’m contemplating doing one of those pre purchase in room celebration things to up the fun/magic factor and also contemplating the very expensive VIP tours to help us get through stuff in the crowds. And also get reserved seating for shows. If ever there was a time to lower stress this is it.

Any other suggestions? (Will say DS is super picky eater so a lot of the fancy stuff isn’t to his taste. Gotta be chicken nuggets/tenders or cheese pizza. But don’t worry he does fruit and veggies!)

I know nothing about how MaxPass works or nothing about Grand since DH worked for Hyatt so we always stayed at their property for free (but has made DS snooty about hotels as we always for club level at Hyatt and preferential treatment... DISNEY Magic will be amazing!)

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
If you buy your tickets through last minute travel it’s $15 more for a 4th day. I’d go for it. FOETRAVEL is the code for free membership I’ve heard most recently.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your family with be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you and your son a truly magical and stress free time. You will love the GCH! It is a beautiful hotel. If you go to concierge, they have some really fun trivial games and things you have to look for on certain rides games. We really have fun doing them, and you get a little prize at the end. Super fun! My dd is also 11 and really loves to sit in the lobby and watch the old black and white Mickey cartoons. Last time we were there when there was lots of construction, it wasn't around, so hopefully they have brought it back. Don't forget you get early entry to both parks every day, so make sure you find out which one for the correct day. If it's CAP, I'd go line up early. We usually go about 30-40 minutes before opening and there is already a pretty long line. We just take our breakfast and eat it in line down there. It is only a little more to add another day to your tickets so I would do that if you want to spend some more time in the parks. We loved max pass. It is super easy to use and it made our last visit so much more enjoyable and stress free without worrying about running around the park getting fast passes.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I think it's pretty amazing that you're pulling this trip together.

Woods/courtyard is lovely. You can call GCH and ask if they'll give you a room near the elevators (lobby or Napa Rose elevators are both good; Napa Rose would put you closest to the DCA entrance), and if they can accommodate your request it will shorten your trips to and from your room.

There are concierge level rooms that have additional perks. I've never stayed in one, but many folks here have and can answer questions if you have them. It might be worth poking around in this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/grand-californian-super-thread-updated-11-7-13.2396588/

I love that you are considering all the things that will alleviate stress. Maxpass is definitely one of those things. To get the hang of it, watch a couple of you tube videos where people demonstrate how to use Maxpass, or search the many threads here where every detail has been hashed out.

And my son is a picky eater too. Luckily, there are kids menus everywhere, so you should be fine eating just about anywhere you want!

Sending lots of pixie dust your way.

The Woods/Courtyard rooms that I have always booked end up being the ones with a view of the monorail which I think is awesome! Also, at some of the "fancier" places for dinner Carthay Circle and Napa Rose have both been able to make my little one pasta with butter and Parmesan or plain chicken and veggies, so don't rule them out if you want a nice meal. They are accommodating with food request.

We just got back from GCH and had a woods/courtyard view. I requested a view of the monorail close to the Napa Rose elevators and it was just perfect. I just requested it upon check-in because I forgot to call and add it to our reservation earlier - oops. Super easy in and out to the DCA entrance and the fun of having the monorail zip by every five minutes outside our balcony just makes it super Disneyfied! We had room 5309 (holler to all you 80s music fans - we so had Jenny's room) if you are looking on a map. We also had a view of the Matterhorn and could hear the music from Disneyland on the balcony - pretty perfect.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your son make wonderful memories to help you through this difficult time.

Thank you everyone! Appreciate the several recommendations on room location. That is so very helpful! I am going to add the extra day and will do a room request too.

Also appreciate the kind words too. This is a difficult time for us for sure, but we are so grateful for time we had. (We did get to go last year to Aulani - my boss gave us miles for us to go and my coworkers did a donation drive for hotel). And are looking forward to quality time with the two of us at the happiest place on earth! Grateful!!!

We just got back from GCH and had a woods/courtyard view. I requested a view of the monorail close to the Napa Rose elevators and it was just perfect. I just requested it upon check-in because I forgot to call and add it to our reservation earlier - oops. Super easy in and out to the DCA entrance and the fun of having the monorail zip by every five minutes outside our balcony just makes it super Disneyfied! We had room 5309 (holler to all you 80s music fans - we so had Jenny's room) if you are looking on a map. We also had a view of the Matterhorn and could hear the music from Disneyland on the balcony - pretty perfect.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your son make wonderful memories to help you through this difficult time.
Hilarious On Jenny’s room... 80s girl right here!

Thank you everyone! Appreciate the several recommendations on room location. That is so very helpful! I am going to add the extra day and will do a room request too.

Also appreciate the kind words too. This is a difficult time for us for sure, but we are so grateful for time we had. (We did get to go last year to Aulani - my boss gave us miles for us to go and my coworkers did a donation drive for hotel). And are looking forward to quality time with the two of us at the happiest place on earth! Grateful!!!
Not sure if you've seen maps of the hotel, so here are a couple.
GCH 2017-08-19 GCH MAP.JPG
GCH 2017 GCH map.JPG

Thanks for the map! Very helpful... I so need to get into details of the hotel, watch a YouTube on MaxPass and get cracking! What fun to plan... DS is already planning for what Disney shirts we can get for trip. I’ve been informed we have to get Disney jackets too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter