• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just want to make a CD I can see on my DVD player!!!

Good Ol Gal

A Longhorn living in Buckeye Country
DVC Gold
Can anyone do this???

I have two different programs on my computer where I can make slideshows with music, etc with pictures.

None of them will play on our DVD players :headache:

What programs do you use??

I have Photo Story 3 and Windows Movie Maker with Windows XP.

thanks for any suggestions :goodvibes

how old is your dvd player, some won't read writable discs

Hi... I am assuming you have a DVD burner on your computer... I had the same problem with my computer and after alot of grief finally figured it out....
Most of the prebundled software that comes with computers is only a trial version and does not have the components to burn DVDs.. I went out and bough Roxio easy media creator and now have no problems.... Good Luck!

kat3668 said:
Hi... I am assuming you have a DVD burner on your computer... I had the same problem with my computer and after alot of grief finally figured it out....
Most of the prebundled software that comes with computers is only a trial version and does not have the components to burn DVDs.. I went out and bough Roxio easy media creator and now have no problems.... Good Luck!

well I'm not trying to burn it to a dvd, but to a cd that will play on my dvd player.

Good Ol Gal said:
brand new dvd players....

check to see what type of picture files it will read...some read jpegs some only read kodak picture files..

Good Ol Gal said:
well I'm not trying to burn it to a dvd, but to a cd that will play on my dvd player.

I'm pretty sure you need to burn a DVD to be able to see the pictures. A CD will play music on the DVD player, but not show pictures. If you have a DVD burner, get DVD's to burn it to, otherwise, it won't work.

You don't need to burn DVD. I've used several programs and just choose to create VCD (instead of DVD) you'll be fine. VCD is only bad for moving images. For still pictures, it's more than fine (we've tested the result using 60" TV viewed at 100" distance).

You can burn a CD that will play on most DVD players if you have Windows XP. When you are going thru the CD burning wizard, there will be a step where the wizard will ask you if you want to create a "highmat" disk. These disks are made to be more compatible with DVD players than normal CDs.

Good Ol Gal said:
so what programs did you use to make your vcd??

Doh! Forgot to list them.

1. Ulead DVD Picture Show (don't be fooled with the name "DVD" on it)
2. Ulead DVD Picture Show 2
3. Ulead Disney Magic Artist (this is the one with Disney characters and theme-ing).

Cheers,
Kelly

PM me for further info.

Right,

When buying a DVD player, you should see a list like this :

Compatibility
Disc Capacity: 1 Disc
DVD/-R/-RW/+R/+RW
VCD/SVCD/Picture-CD/JPEG Disc
Audio-CD/MP3/WMA
DVD-Audio/SACD
Multi-Mode Pick-up (CD-R/RW)
MPEG4 Playback

Firstly, you should make sure it can read DVD R/RW etc disc, the reason for this is simply that you usually record on these formats, if your recording them on CD then make sure the DVD player as similar features but for CD.

Secondly, make sure it can read JPEG Disc's, Picture-CD's, and VCD, the reason for this is that most slideshows/pictures, specially from cameras save as ".JPEG" format, so you need a DVD player that can read ".JPEG. The reason for Picture-CD's is for cd's you buy in the shop on holidays what use special programs to run your DVD player and the reason for VCD's is that some programs basically format your disc into a "VCD" because they work on most DVD players, VCD tend to be used when people are aheeeeeem copying films etc.

Shane :wave2:

You will be totally fine then :cool1:. If your DVD player already has these features then I'm happy to help you out further.

"highmat" disk. These disks are made to be more compatible with DVD players than normal CDs.
You need to download it from MS for some computers. . . .It is not always preloaded.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think every player will be HighMAT compatible. Usually only the latest Panasonic players.

Kelly Grannell said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think every player will be HighMAT compatible. Usually only the latest Panasonic players.
My Samsung DVD player will only play Highmat discs, but it doesn't say so on it. I also have a 29.99 cheapie from APEX in the bedroom that shows pictures on CD's without any problems, highmat or not.

In terms of JPEG and BMP, most newer players (2 years or newer) will play them. Thank the info about HighMAT. I didn't know of any other player that plays HighMAT... now I know.

The Samsung was my 3rd DVD player and the other two had no problem playing .jpep files. Since the Samsumg didn't work with a normal CD of .jpegs I figured I would try it in highmat. It worked fine and even if it didn't I would only be losing a few cents (blank CD) trying it out. Panasonic is listed on the info webpage for the highmat format so they may have something to do with the development but thier players are not the only ones to use it. And I am sure some players won't recognize it but like I said it only costs a few pennies to find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter