• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Aside from signing up for the Priority Pass and spending $4,000 in the first three months, what should I do to maximize benefits?

Edited to add: I already have TSA PreCheck through another card. Do I need to book flights through the Ultimate Rewards portal to earn the $300 credit?

(I'm aware the cost of the CSR recently went up and many people prefer Cap Venture, but I have not been impressed by Capital One customer service in the past so won't get one of their cards.)

Last edited:
DH got a CSP in March 2019 and closed it a year later. He currently has an offer on his chase account with a green star, saying he's "pre-approved" for a CSP with a 60,000 SUB. Could he actually get a new CSP even though it's only been 3 years since having one?

Yes.

I actually had this green star when I was over 5/24 and was able to get a CIU.

They offered me a CIP and a CIU and I app'ed for CIP first, got turned down and then immediately app'ed for CIU and they gave it to me. So I guess what I am saying is it could go either way but there's definitely a good chance.

I just got a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Aside from signing up for the Priority Pass and spending $4,000 in the first three months, what should I do to maximize benefits?

Edited to add: I already have TSA PreCheck through another card. Do I need to book flights through the Ultimate Rewards portal to earn the $300 credit?

(I'm aware the cost of the CSR recently went up and many people prefer Cap Venture, but I have not been impressed by Capital One customer service in the past so won't get one of their cards.)
The $300 credit is on any spend in the travel category (hotels, flights, cruise lines, travel agencies, trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages).
You don't have to do anything to claim it and you don't pick what it's used on. Just use the CSR on any purchase in that category and Chase will automatically put a credit on your account. Also it doesn't have to be all at once, it can be used 30 times, parking in a $10 parking garage.

I pushed my luck with Chase and went for a CIC - instant approval, but a low CL $3000! Now I need a MasterCard gift card promo!!!

I might try for an amex personal and see if that gives me the pop-up too. It'll put me at 5/24, but I have a card dropping in August and I'm not planning to apply for anymore Chase until after August anyway.

Thanks all for the advice/suggestions.

Ok, any fun things to do in Panama City, Fl between softball games?

I'm pushing for a Dis/US trip after our tournament. We'd almost be there. The drive home is not appealing though, plus it'll be hot and we'll be tired from softball all week. But there is a DVC Moonlight Magic event both before and after our tournament week so that would be fun.

And, I think VentureX is the card I want to get. I wish I had gotten before the intro offer disappeared. Am I correct that those points can be redeemed against a VRBO transaction so if I put part or all of our rental on it, I can "erase" some by using points? It's been a long time since I've done a VRBO, but it seems like that's what our team might be doing.

Having FOMO with all these chase biz cards reported! We have a lot of April spending coming up, so applied for a CIC for DH on my referral. Instant approval, $5000 CL, plus I can move some from his other cards. Between the 20,000 referral and 75,000 bonus, 7500 spend, transferred to his CSR that’s over 1500 in free money. Amazing. I owe it all to this thread.

I am the DD of WVMomof3 who has been active on this thread for many years. I thought I would let you guys know that she passes away unexpectedly last month. We made fun of her (affectionately) for her CC habit but I do want to thank you all for enabling her to live a life she loved.

I am so sorry to hear this. I always appreciated her thoughts here. Prayers for your family.

Other benefits: get status/discounts with National and Avis car rental. You'll want to use this card for car rentals regardless of rental company anyway because it's the best given the included insurance.

Do you ever use rideshare services? I do when traveling and the included Lyft Pink membership gives you a discount (I think 15%).

Last year when I got mine, they had a Doordash $60 credit. Not sure if they still do that but check it out 🙂

Other benefits: get status/discounts with National and Avis car rental. You'll want to use this card for car rentals regardless of rental company anyway because it's the best given the included insurance.

Do you ever use rideshare services? I do when traveling and the included Lyft Pink membership gives you a discount (I think 15%).

Last year when I got mine, they had a Doordash $60 credit. Not sure if they still do that but check it out 🙂
they dropped lyft pink afaik they still have the 10x though.

So... it turns out I did not book my outbound one way ticket with CSR. (Ugh, what was I thinking???) I booked my companion's with CSR, but mine with travel funds. However, I did later add the ECBI to my ticket and used my CSR. Would that trigger the benefit if we get stranded somewhere tonight?

Our rescheduled flights are still scheduled to go out tonight, but I am already anticipating getting stranded in MDW tonight and/or in MCO on Th. My return ticket is booked on CSR, and my BIL will be in MCO for work until Friday with his car. So he is my contingency plan if our return flight gets cancelled.

So... it turns out I did not book my outbound one way ticket with CSR. (Ugh, what was I thinking???) I booked my companion's with CSR, but mine with travel funds. However, I did later add the ECBI to my ticket and used my CSR. Would that trigger the benefit if we get stranded somewhere tonight?

Our rescheduled flights are still scheduled to go out tonight, but I am already anticipating getting stranded in MDW tonight and/or in MCO on Th. My return ticket is booked on CSR, and my BIL will be in MCO for work until Friday with his car. So he is my contingency plan if our return flight gets cancelled.
Don’t you still have to use a card to pay for the $5.60 fee When using travel funds? I usually have that default to the CSR. Can’t remember if it is required though.

I am the DD of WVMomof3 who has been active on this thread for many years. I thought I would let you guys know that she passes away unexpectedly last month. We made fun of her (affectionately) for her CC habit but I do want to thank you all for enabling her to live a life she loved.
I'm so very sorry to hear this.

Don’t you still have to use a card to pay for the $5.60 fee When using travel funds? I usually have that default to the CSR. Can’t remember if it is required though.
I thought so too, but for some reason this time it allowed me to use my funds. I checked the e-receipt and it says all travel funds.

I feel like I'm stepping in the middle of the Cool Kids Club that has been in existence since kindergarten and here we are in 8th grade with me trying to worm my way in. So.... here goes.

We've had a SW card for a decade or so (possibly a little more). We got it with the intention of accumulating points to use towards our big family vacations that only happen every 3-4 years. We're a family of 5 and the SW card has served us well enough over the years. We use it for our monthly expenses like groceries, gas, etc. and pay off the balance in full every month so interest rate has never been a factor.

But over the years, SW has stopped flying out of our local regional airport and has cut their direct flights from our larger area airport drastically. So the benefit to us has dropped significantly.

We're considering closing it out and switching to another card with benefits that suit us better. We'd still like to use the perks of this future card for vacation funds/expenses.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Outside of this card and our debit card, the only other CC we have is a USAA card with a very low interest rate that we use for things we're not able to immediately pay off. We've had this card for over 20 years.

ETA: We will no longer be traveling to Disney so Disney-specific perks aren't appealing to us.

I feel like I'm stepping in the middle of the Cool Kids Club that has been in existence since kindergarten and here we are in 8th grade with me trying to worm my way in. So.... here goes.

We've had a SW card for a decade or so (possibly a little more). We got it with the intention of accumulating points to use towards our big family vacations that only happen every 3-4 years. We're a family of 5 and the SW card has served us well enough over the years. We use it for our monthly expenses like groceries, gas, etc. and pay off the balance in full every month so interest rate has never been a factor.

But over the years, SW has stopped flying out of our local regional airport and has cut their direct flights from our larger area airport drastically. So the benefit to us has dropped significantly.

We're considering closing it out and switching to another card with benefits that suit us better. We'd still like to use the perks of this future card for vacation funds/expenses.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Outside of this card and our debit card, the only other CC we have is a USAA card with a very low interest rate that we use for things we're not able to immediately pay off. We've had this card for over 20 years.

ETA: We will no longer be traveling to Disney so Disney-specific perks aren't appealing to us.

I might recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. There are reports of an 80k SUB if you sign up in-branch and a waived annual fee. See here What's nice about earning UR is that it is very flexible for travel needs, whether you are booking travel through their portal, transferring to partners (like Southwest, just as a familiar example) or "erasing" some charges using Pay Yourself Back (PYB).

80k would be worth about $1,000 through their travel portal or PYB. Depending on your monthly spend, your partner (P2) could also open a card and get the same bonus, and then you can pool your UR together.

We DO NOT recommend closing your SW card. With you having so few credit cards, it really is going to help both your credit history and credit utilization to keep that card open.

Sorry for all the hassle you are going through. I'm doubtful ECBI would qualify, but I'm not an expert. From what I know though, your companion's ticket with the CSR should qualify. If I recall, it's up to $500 in expenses per ticket.

Also, if you do get stranded, always ask Southwest to put you up in a hotel or provide meal vouchers. You may not get those, but it is always good to ask.

Away raised it's prices about $50/bag. Glad I've got three bigger carry ons with chargers (only paid $225 for my first one and they're now $315) and a medium checked bag.

I didn't realized that they had raised their prices. Glad I got two when the CSR offer was out. I've gotten mine on an extreme discount either from the CSR or their sale, but otherwise they would not be in my regular budget.

The $5.60 for your companion will suffice! I had that scenario one time.
Good luck!

Is there a recon number for Capital One? I applied for the VentureX card and was denied. I just got the explanation through email and it says there is another pending Capital One application. I looked at their credit wise report and it says I tried to open a Saks card (looks like it is through Capital One) two times. I didn't do either one of those. So, I'm not sure what's going on with that, but I would never apply for a Saks card.

It says I can write them about it, but I'd rather call and talk to someone than communicate by mail. Even if I don't get approved, I need to the the Saks application off of my credit report somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter