• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use Cruise Compete to see who has the best deal. Easiest to compare when you have the sail date and cabin type decided. Sometimes they have a group block that is significantly cheaper (though not sure if that's still a thing now). But even if not, I consistently get at least 10% off the cruise line price as a discount or OBC. Have done NCL, RCCL, and Carnival this way. Should work for Celebrity too. It doesn't work for DCL.

Some TAs also participate in the Amex plat Cruise Privileges Program, you can get some more OBC from that.

Thank you. I do want maximum flexibility to cancel later on, so that matters as well. Is there a list of TAs that offer Plat benefits out there somewhere?

Thank you. I do want maximum flexibility to cancel later on, so that matters as well. Is there a list of TAs that offer Plat benefits out there somewhere?

Not that I know of. The last cruise I booked is the first time using the benefit and I found out that the agency I've worked with before and wanted to go with anyways does it. Once you get the Cruise Compete quotes, you can ask your top picks. You can also try putting it in the comments, but sometimes the quotes are rather canned, so they may not address it.

Definitely make sure it's a refundable deposit rate. I've gotten a group rate before where it was refundable deposit AND cheaper than their standard non-refundable deposit rate. But it only applied to 2 person cabins, so got that for my parents and a non-refundable deposit rate for us (cost difference was large, so it was worth the risk).

Now I am really mad at Southwest. They sent me a $250 voucher for all the trouble I experienced (same amt they sent us last fall for a cancelled flight and the same amt they provided my friends' family last weekend). I think I deserve more for 5.5 hrs of wait time and leaving 24+ hrs later, but I am willing to accept it. The slap in the face is the fact they only sent me $150 for the juvenile family member traveling with me. I contacted them again and told them his lesser compensation is completely unacceptable. I have been exclusively loyal to SW for almost 20 years (since I left my employment with Delta), and I understand things happen that are out of an airline's control, but offering less compensation to one passenger is just terrible.
I am replying to my own post to provide an update as a SW DP. I finally received a response to my follow up inquiry complaining about shorting me for my nephew's compensation. I am happy to report that they made things right. They apologized for the inconvenience, finally provided an explanation for the cancelled flight (no flight crew), they refunded my EBCI that they forgot to add to our rebooked tix, and they sent me another $100 for my nephew to match the credit I received. You could tell it was a personalized response and not the canned initial "you will get a voucher" email. I am satisfied overall with this final response.

Even though I have been burned on 2/3 SW trips in the past 6 months, they will continue to be my go to airline. The CP, and pts accumulated to earn it, have allowed me to get 23 one way flights in 18 months. That is hard to beat. Plus, they are the only major airline that still offer nonstop flights from my city to MCO. So, I guess I will plod forward with my plan to get the CP again for 23-24 and hope for the best (while also preparing for the worst).

That is in incredible offer, but doing that in person with a "business", too scary LOL
I assume your "business" is based on some reality, so just extrapolate and embellish as needed :) Really just chatting while they tick off boxes on the application. I use reselling used merch, guy asked where I find my inventory - I think just more curious than anything. I told him about the local auction house that cleans out estates and one of the good finds I snagged. (Genuine vintage Coach purse in a lot of misc handbags) He though that was cool and we moved on to the next question.

Just have answers for what's on normal business account or card applications and confidence. If you believe it's a business you can sell it as a business. (Which is why we suggest people go with what they know or have done in the past.) Helps to have little anecdotes at the ready so doesn't hurt to rehearse a little beforehand, if only in your head, which helps with the confidence. I haven't heard of any stories where the banker throws someone out because they suspect it's made up or anything like that. They make commissions on new accounts so they want you to succeed... and keep the account open so they can get paid :laughing:

11-year old lg fridge is dying (fridge won’t go below 45 and freezer is around 32. Thinking to cut losses given age and replace it. Not sure I can make it six days until a new one can be delivered. Ugh!
Ours is not dying but I plan to replace with the another GE Profile but I want the French door counter depth this time instead of side-by-side. I meant to order when it was on sale at Costco but was having too much fun with my girlfriends in Savannah. Oops, priorities.

Has anyone had any luck getting TSA precheck for other people in your family? We have at least 3 of them that we haven't used and I thought about seeing if I could get it for the kids.

Do you mean paying for it with your credit card credits? If so, yes I did it with my dd. I went to the appt with her, and paid with my card.

I did the exact same thing with YDD. Easy peasy and she was approved in like 2 days.

Ours is not dying but I plan to replace with the another GE Profile but I want the French door counter depth this time instead of side-by-side. I meant to order when it was on sale at Costco but was having too much fun with my girlfriends in Savannah. Oops, priorities.
That’s what I need—counter depth French door with ice.

I assume your "business" is based on some reality, so just extrapolate and embellish as needed :) Really just chatting while they tick off boxes on the application. I use reselling used merch, guy asked where I find my inventory - I think just more curious than anything. I told him about the local auction house that cleans out estates and one of the good finds I snagged. (Genuine vintage Coach purse in a lot of misc handbags) He though that was cool and we moved on to the next question.

Just have answers for what's on normal business account or card applications and confidence. If you believe it's a business you can sell it as a business. (Which is why we suggest people go with what they know or have done in the past.) Helps to have little anecdotes at the ready so doesn't hurt to rehearse a little beforehand, if only in your head, which helps with the confidence. I haven't heard of any stories where the banker throws someone out because they suspect it's made up or anything like that. They make commissions on new accounts so they want you to succeed... and keep the account open so they can get paid :laughing:

After seeing the original post regarding this bonus, I signed up for an appt tomorrow at our local branch. I actually already have a personal WF checking, not sure if that will make things easier tomorrow. I rec'd a call from the lady that I'll be meeting with and she asked what my biz structure was, and she said for a sole proprietorship it would be easy and to bring my license. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly tomorrow! I have opened another biz checking acct a few years ago, drove 2.5 hours to a Chase branch for a $500 bonus. I was nervous because I have a "biz" but it was pretty painless. For anyone thinking about this I'd say go for it!

Has anyone had any luck getting TSA precheck for other people in your family? We have at least 3 of them that we haven't used and I thought about seeing if I could get it for the kids.
We got it for mom, dad and step-mom and did not attend the appointments. Just mailed them our cards. No questions asked, the agents swiped the cards without even looking at them in each instance.

After seeing the original post regarding this bonus, I signed up for an appt tomorrow at our local branch. I actually already have a personal WF checking, not sure if that will make things easier tomorrow. I rec'd a call from the lady that I'll be meeting with and she asked what my biz structure was, and she said for a sole proprietorship it would be easy and to bring my license. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly tomorrow! I have opened another biz checking acct a few years ago, drove 2.5 hours to a Chase branch for a $500 bonus. I was nervous because I have a "biz" but it was pretty painless. For anyone thinking about this I'd say go for it!

They did make me a different profile for the business and then linked it to my old personal profile so I use my existing login to see the new checking account and some of my old personal stuff. So somewhat easier? Seems like people who have a biz card or have existing biz profiles have it easiest. Good luck!

Rain would be fine. This cold has had a little but it was getting dry and static when you do stuff. Always find it interesting when and what gets posponed/cancelled for rain elsewhere. Baseball and softball will here but not soccer or football. We'd have no sports for weeks if they did.
Rain is yuck. Mud everywhere. Standing water in yards. The only reason soccer is canceled is because the park district won't let them play and ruin the fields. If it was up to the club, they practice/play. They borrow the artificial turf football fields from 2 local high schools when possible. They've played in snow and pouring rain. I think the parents mind more than the kids. :rolleyes1
I used 3 different credit cards to get Global Entry for DH, DS and myself. You should have no problem.

I'm wondering if I should get a garage fridge tomorrow. If I did that I'd be more inclined to get my current fridge repaired (because if it broke again I would have a back up while waiting to replace it). I'm just really struggling with figuring out how to function without a fridge for a week. DD says I'm being dramatic.

Steps:
For TSA precheck: application, schedule appt, pay at appointment
For GlobalEntry: application/pay online, schedule appt or complete upon re-entry into U.S.

I am a big fan of GlobalEntry and it includes TSAPrecheck. But, appointments can be hard to come by.

And just that fast, the Wells Fargo business checking offers have expired!

Update:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/in-branch-only-wells-fargo-business-checking-1500-bonus/

New codes can't be generated. If you already have your code you should be good to open for the bonus.

Just reinforces the recommendation that if you think you might want to take advantage of an offer like this, don't wait to generate a code. Even if you're not sure, grab the code first and then think it over. Banks generally have a set budget and once it gets reached they can pull the offer. I recall a few years back when Fidelity did a good bonus, it only lasted 2 maybe 3 days once the word was spread. (For once I didn't procrastinate and actually got in on that one!) And that was only $200!

And just that fast, the Wells Fargo business checking offers have expired!

Update:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/in-branch-only-wells-fargo-business-checking-1500-bonus/

New codes can't be generated. If you already have your code you should be good to open for the bonus.

Just reinforces the recommendation that if you think you might want to take advantage of an offer like this, don't wait to generate a code. Even if you're not sure, grab the code first and then think it over. Banks generally have a set budget and once it gets reached they can pull the offer. I recall a few years back when Fidelity did a good bonus, it only lasted 2 maybe 3 days once the word was spread. (For once I didn't procrastinate and actually got in on that one!) And that was only $200!
generated a code yesterday and made an appointment for Monday to open an account, hopefully I can receive the bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter