I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

MCGCs definitely more limited than VGC. I've had online orders fail with MC that subsequently work with V. Also, paying your target red card as debit at the counter failed MCGC but worked VGC. I always register my cards, set pin, etc, so it's not a matter of them being set up differently by me.

Unless you *need* cards when MCGC are available, I'd stick to VGC.
Echo this. I basically now pay for my Redcard purchases exclusively with VGCs. Gotta wait for those to come back to stock up again, I'm skipping the MCGCs

Echo this. I basically now pay for my Redcard purchases exclusively with VGCs. Gotta wait for those to come back to stock up again, I'm skipping the MCGCs

I use my gift cards for organic spending after I get them since I don't necessarily MS with them, so I'll pick up a few since the wad I got to finish up my ink are almost gone. Hate to get caught without a thousand or so on hand as that's when I'll need a vet or other money eater.

I use my gift cards for organic spending after I get them since I don't necessarily MS with them, so I'll pick up a few since the wad I got to finish up my ink are almost gone. Hate to get caught without a thousand or so on hand as that's when I'll need a vet or other money eater.
Ah, yeah, I don't have an ink I'm working on at the moment. But hopefully in late July once we're through with the MSRs from our recent Citi AAdvantage cards that DH and I got. One of our dogs has a dental cleaning in July, we'll see if we've met the MSRs by then.

We replaces ours ourselves, a few weeks ago, and the water heater and supplies were about $1600, just to give you a baseline.
That definitely helps. This needs a permit and possibly a flue inspection. Those alone are $400. Just got another quote for $2100 from a reputable local plumber. They can’t do it until tomorrow but I’ll deal.

Since people in this thread know everything...my 24 yo wants to rent a car. She is not on my insurance anymore, nor does she have a car at all. I assume she should buy insurance from the rental company, but will that be enough? I've never rented without having car insurance of my own.

Since people in this thread know everything...my 24 yo wants to rent a car. She is not on my insurance anymore, nor does she have a car at all. I assume she should buy insurance from the rental company, but will that be enough? I've never rented without having car insurance of my own.
What state is she in and what does she want the insurance to cover? Just about all credit cards have some type of rental insurance but that won't cover liability, only damage to the rental.

There is non-owner car insurance. My DD has some, not sure which company, because she often drives cars she does not own and wants to be covered in those cases and rentals.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-insurance/non-owner/

I am trying to start using my uber eats app so I can get the Amex gold $10 back. I picked up an uber eats order yesterday but the payment was taken off of my gift card that I applied to the account in March. I rarely use uber eats and I could not find a way to make the AmEx gold card primary for payments. I figure I won't get the uber eats credit since it was paid from my credit I have on my account. Does anyone know? I considered cancelling this card since I did not receive any retention bonus after 2 requests. Should I try for a third? I have held this card for 1 year and 1 month now.

I am trying to start using my uber eats app so I can get the Amex gold $10 back. I picked up an uber eats order yesterday but the payment was taken off of my gift card that I applied to the account in March. I rarely use uber eats and I could not find a way to make the AmEx gold card primary for payments. I figure I won't get the uber eats credit since it was paid from my credit I have on my account. Does anyone know? I considered cancelling this card since I did not receive any retention bonus after 2 requests. Should I try for a third? I have held this card for 1 year and 1 month now.
My understanding is that it will automatically use your gift card balance before a card. I believe you have to zero out your gift card balance first.

I'd look more closely. The uber credit posts to your uber wallet, you don't have to use the card to pay. This is how people get $25 in credit because it combines with the plat credit. If you go into the app, to your account, wallet and then tap on the amount in there you'll get a screen like what I've attached. It'll show you your $10 amex as long as it's been added as a payment method. Then go to balance details and it'll show you what's there. It takes the amex before the gc, all I have left is 33 in gc which it took anything over $25 from the prev bal.

Now the $10 dining credit doesn't work with uber but does work with grub hub, shake shack and cheesecake factory. Maybe something else, I always use it for grub hub. This does need to be charged to the gold because it is credited to the card by amex.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230524-124121.png
    Screenshot_20230524-124121.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 1
I considered cancelling this card since I did not receive any retention bonus after 2 requests. Should I try for a third? I have held this card for 1 year and 1 month now.

I usually ask before the AF, right after the AF, and a few days before the AF is nonrefundable (30 days after it posts). If there is no retention offer that's worth it for me, then I cancel at that last try.

You can also check if you have an upgrade offer to the platinum. That usually show up where the Amex Offers are. It's not super common, but can be worth it if you're targeted. I wouldn't take the upgrade without haven't had the plat though.

My water heater died. First replacement quote: $2800. And they charge 4% to use a credit card. Hoping the second quote is better:
Yikes! I have a plan to replace mine and I was thinking under 2K. Guess I'm being optimistic. What size is yours? I think mine is 80 gallons.

I'd look more closely. The uber credit posts to your uber wallet, you don't have to use the card to pay. This is how people get $25 in credit because it combines with the plat credit. If you go into the app, to your account, wallet and then tap on the amount in there you'll get a screen like what I've attached. It'll show you your $10 amex as long as it's been added as a payment method. Then go to balance details and it'll show you what's there. It takes the amex before the gc, all I have left is 33 in gc which it took anything over $25 from the prev bal.

Now the $10 dining credit doesn't work with uber but does work with grub hub, shake shack and cheesecake factory. Maybe something else, I always use it for grub hub. This does need to be charged to the gold because it is credited to the card by amex.
Yes, it did post to my uber wallet. So, the $100 uber gift card I got (either at OD with 5X on an ink card or grocery store to earn fuel points, can't remember which), will earn me 10 months of $10 credits at Uber eats? If so, that's a sweet deal!

Yes, it did post to my uber wallet. So, the $100 uber gift card I got (either at OD with 5X on an ink card or grocery store to earn fuel points, can't remember which), will earn me 10 months of $10 credits at Uber eats? If so, that's a sweet deal!

No. Anything over the $10 from your amex amount will get charged to the gc. If your order comes to 15.89 then it'll take off 5.89 but if your order is 25.89 it'll take 25.89.

And if you use regular uber it'll get used by that in the same way.

If you're able to order from uber eats and it comes out to an even 20 every time that would work but I don't know how you'd manage that with tax and fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter