I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but i have been reading on reddit about US banks new Altitude card. I am literally holding
off applying for anything new until I see its release and what benefits it has.

details are out. 3x on travel, 3x on mobile transaction(interesting one)
50k after $4500 spendings in 3 months.
AF = $400
$325 travel credit.
Low end PP
GE/TSA pre

1.5 redemption rate.
12 GoGo WIfi passes

the 3x on mobile transaction is what makes it interesting. it could probably be 3x on a ton of things. Question is, how flexible is flexpass.

AF = $400
$325 travel credit.
Low end PP
GE/TSA pre

1.5 redemption rate.
12 GoGo WIfi passes

the 3x on mobile transaction is what makes it interesting. it could probably be 3x on a ton of things. Question is, how flexible is flexpass.

Lol yeah i read that but i want to see it official. The part i found amazing is the the 3x mobile transaction.
How can they keep that up? Also i read where it may just be targeted to existing US Bank customers?
We shall see.

US bank is notorious for gutting benefits on card so I wonder how this will play out.

I just hope applications are open to everyone :)

Lol yeah i read that but i want to see it official. The part i found amazing is the the 3x mobile transaction.
How can they keep that up? Also i read where it may just be targeted to existing US Bank customers?
We shall see.

US bank is notorious for gutting benefits on card so I wonder how this will play out.

I just hope applications are open to everyone :)

competition... i love it! :D

Anyone uses US Bank Flexpoint before? New Premium card sounds very intriguing but idk if its a CSR replacer...
AF = $400
$325 travel credit.
Low end PP
GE/TSA pre

1.5 redemption rate.
12 GoGo WIfi passes

Hard to be a CSR killer without direct airline transfer partners. Getting an easier approval on their cards means freezing your reports with Sagestream and ARS. If it's only available to existing customers then they aren't going to be able to compete with CSR.

Details are still sketchy. Still need to find out if existing customers means checking/savings customers or those with a US Bank cc which may mean more hoops to jump through. It is supposed to be a Visa Infinite, but with which benefits? Will it be like the Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite with the $100 discount of coach fare, or some watered down version? What exactly will code as travel? I don't see how the 3x on mobile transactions will be sustainable. That will likely be the first benefit to get gutted. I was sad when they gutted the second night free benefit on the Club Carlson card. That was such a nice benefit.

Going on a cruise in December. Looking at booking 1 night at Holiday Inn Express the night before. It is an IHG hotel so thought I could open up the Chase IHG card and get a free room. I am at 5/24 (will be 4/24 in June). I know it is stated this card does not count in the 5/24 but will it hurt my chanced of applying for 2 Southwest Cards later in the year to get the companion pass. Don't want anything to affect that and not sure if this will?

What would you do? We're currently meeting the 3K minimum spend organically for the SPG. We should have that covered--or close--after paying the mortgage this month via Plastiq. My plan was to then move onto DH trying for one of the Inks (he has a legit side gig, but it doesn't pay very much annually, so there's a question of whether he'd be approved). I've been going back and forth about which to go for. Even though the CIP bonus is awesome, I'm leaning toward the Cash because of the no AF and 5x categories. But, I'm also eying the Marriott because of the 100K bonus, and it looks like that might be ending in a couple of weeks. We'd struggle to cover 2 min spends at once, and it wouldn't be possible at all if we did both the Marriott and CIP at 5K each. To complicate things, DH would be denied if he went for an Ink more than a month from now, because his SPG will have posted and he'd be at 5/24. Would you go for Marriott while the 100K bonus is available and hold off on trying for an Ink until he drops below 5/24 again?

Going on a cruise in December. Looking at booking 1 night at Holiday Inn Express the night before. It is an IHG hotel so thought I could open up the Chase IHG card and get a free room. I am at 5/24 (will be 4/24 in June). I know it is stated this card does not count in the 5/24 but will it hurt my chanced of applying for 2 Southwest Cards later in the year to get the companion pass. Don't want anything to affect that and not sure if this will?

Yes, it can affect your plans to get the 2 Southwest cards later this year. If you apply now, making yourself 6/24, in June you would be 5/24. If you currently have 2 cards falling off your rolling 24 month time frame before you plan to apply for the Southwest cards then you should be ok (2+ if you apply for the IHG card now). Example: You have two cards that you applied for between April 2015 - October 2015, then you're probably good to apply for Southwest cards in November/December 2017. Note: this does include all cards, department store or otherwise, that show up on your personal credit report.

When it's stated that the IHG card does not count in 5/24 rules, what that means is that you can get approved for it even if you're above 5/24. However if you try to apply for a card that is subject to 5/24 (like the Southwest cards) then for sure the IHG card counts toward that tally.

What would you do? We're currently meeting the 3K minimum spend organically for the SPG. We should have that covered--or close--after paying the mortgage this month via Plastiq. My plan was to then move onto DH trying for one of the Inks (he has a legit side gig, but it doesn't pay very much annually, so there's a question of whether he'd be approved). I've been going back and forth about which to go for. Even though the CIP bonus is awesome, I'm leaning toward the Cash because of the no AF and 5x categories. But, I'm also eying the Marriott because of the 100K bonus, and it looks like that might be ending in a couple of weeks. We'd struggle to cover 2 min spends at once, and it wouldn't be possible at all if we did both the Marriott and CIP at 5K each. To complicate things, DH would be denied if he went for an Ink more than a month from now, because his SPG will have posted and he'd be at 5/24. Would you go for Marriott while the 100K bonus is available and hold off on trying for an Ink until he drops below 5/24 again?

Marriott and apply for ink Cash via business manager. they should be able to bypass 5/24 rule(there's an interesting datapoint on it DoC). + u get 50k sign up bonus through yhem.

assuming u can make minimums though...

Marriott and apply for ink Cash via business manager. they should be able to bypass 5/24 rule(there's an interesting datapoint on it DoC). + u get 50k sign up bonus through yhem.

assuming u can make minimums though...

DH isn't going to want to go through a business manager...he'd be applying with his SS because the side gig isn't something he needs a tax ID for. He probably only makes $1000 a year most years, so I'm positive he won't want to put himself through an in-person interview.

competition... i love it! :D

Aaaargh! This competition on the premium cards is throwing monkey wrenches into my plans. So we know the US Bank card is coming out in May and I'm thinking I may decide to jump on it. It would be a nice diversifying strategy and at least worth keeping for a year. Then, I got a targeted email from Amex for the personal platinum card without the "once per lifetime" verbiage. Sigh ... Decisions, decisions. If anyone finds any DP regarding getting the Platinum personal card bonus again with the new targeted offer please share.

Aaaargh! This competition on the premium cards is throwing monkey wrenches into my plans. So we know the US Bank card is coming out in May and I'm thinking I may decide to jump on it. It would be a nice diversifying strategy and at least worth keeping for a year. Then, I got a targeted email from Amex for the personal platinum card without the "once per lifetime" verbiage. Sigh ... Decisions, decisions. If anyone finds any DP regarding getting the Platinum personal card bonus again with the new targeted offer please share.

Which target did you get? I keep getting the 60K at least twice a week. Thats not enough
for me. I could kick myself for not going for the leaked 100k Plat when i was out.
Amex is going too have to come up more for me to bite.

Which target did you get? I keep getting the 60K at least twice a week. Thats not enough
for me. I could kick myself for not going for the leaked 100k Plat when i was out.
Amex is going too have to come up more for me to bite.

I got the 60K. However, I have already had the personal platinum before when it was at 100K a few years ago. Since Amex bonuses are once per lifetime I can't just apply for it and get the bonus gain. The targeted offer I got does not contain the "once per lifetime" verbiage. That is the only reason I am considering it. If I'd never had the card before then I'd wait for a 100K offer.

I got the 60K. However, I have already had the personal platinum before when it was at 100K a few years ago. Since Amex bonuses are once per lifetime I can't just apply for it and get the bonus gain. The targeted offer I got does not contain the "once per lifetime" verbiage. That is the only reason I am considering it. If I'd never had the card before then I'd wait for a 100K offer.

Don't you currently still have the personal Platinum?

Don't you currently still have the personal Platinum?

No, I cancelled it after opening a no fee Everyday card to keep my points active though. DH kept his personal platinum since we liked the benefits (fine resorts and hotels, concierge) but didn't need two of them. Then he got a targeted offer for 100K on the business one last year, picked that up and cancelled the personal after getting the airline credit. Then I got a targeted offer for 150K on the business Platinum in January and picked that up. Between us, one of us is going to keep the business platinum open since we like the benefits. 50% of the points back when paying with points will make me consider focusing more on earning MR. I am thinking I will pick up the personal again and keep it so we get the best of both worlds if the math works out. Either way, it is an opportunity to pick up another 60K MR that was not open to me before as I work my way through the MR cards.

Once again, thanks to the Amex Platinum Concierge team we were able to get Hamilton tix for a friend in LA during the pre-sale yesterday. I didn't even have to be on the phone or online. When the pre-sale date was announced for Amex card holders, I called concierge and told them we needed 4 tix for any Saturday and they did the rest. No, I am not flying to LA to see the show there too. This was a favor for a friend.

I received an Amex Platinum offer also. DH and I are new to this though and just opened the CSR, Ink Business and CSP. My plan was to follow the advice of opening all Chase cards before considering anything else. When planning a trip is it easy enough to use rewards from 2 different programs? We will uses our rewards mostly for flights and hotels.

I received an Amex Platinum offer also. DH and I are new to this though and just opened the CSR, Ink Business and CSP. My plan was to follow the advice of opening all Chase cards before considering anything else. When planning a trip is it easy enough to use rewards from 2 different programs? We will uses our rewards mostly for flights and hotels.

I recommend sticking to the Chase cards until you are over 5/24. If you have not had an Amex Plat card before there is no need to take that targeted offer. I would hold out for a 100k offer since you can only get the bonus one time. The only reason I am going to apply is because I have already had the card and wouldn't be able to get the bonus under normal circumstances. None the less, I will confirm that I will be able to get the bonus again with this offer.

Last edited:
Yes, it can affect your plans to get the 2 Southwest cards later this year. If you apply now, making yourself 6/24, in June you would be 5/24. If you currently have 2 cards falling off your rolling 24 month time frame before you plan to apply for the Southwest cards then you should be ok (2+ if you apply for the IHG card now). Example: You have two cards that you applied for between April 2015 - October 2015, then you're probably good to apply for Southwest cards in November/December 2017. Note: this does include all cards, department store or otherwise, that show up on your personal credit report.

When it's stated that the IHG card does not count in 5/24 rules, what that means is that you can get approved for it even if you're above 5/24. However if you try to apply for a card that is subject to 5/24 (like the Southwest cards) then for sure the IHG card counts toward that tally.

Thanks. I will hold off opening anything new until after the SW cards. I am AU on one of the cards that I am 5/25 and I recently had them take me off as AU. Still showing up on my credit report though. Hoping that will fall off shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter