• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just approved for the Capitol One Venture card, 30k limit which is ridiculous! I needed a card to help cover a Disneyland Hotel stay in July and this will do nicely. 40,000pts which equals $400 in travel statement credits, $3000 spend in 90 days, AF waived the first year. What is really great too, and I didn't realize they did this, you can download their app and get all the card details so you can use it right away!
I've love my Capital One Venture card. I like to use it for some everyday spend to accumulate points for rental cars so I can "erase" them. Also bag fees when we fly other airlines than SW.

Which Chase message is the one that means you're probably denied? Is it the 7-10 day one or the 30 day one?

I threw caution to the wind and applied for the Marriott card because they keep sending me emails about the 100k offer. I'm well over 5/24, so I'm not holding out much hope. I got the "we'll let you know within 30 days". Bad sign?
If you didn't call the automated status line whatever "message" you're referring to means nothing.

Just had a happy point stacking experience. The American Airlines shopping portal was offering a 500 point bonus for spending $200. Uniqlo is in the shopping portal and was at 3x/$. Plus I have a few Amex offers for a $20 statement credit in $100 at Uniqlo. Ebags is at 8x/$ and Amex offers has $15 credit on $75 spend. So for spending $165 after statement credits, I will get 200 Amex MR points and 1600 American Airline miles! Yay!

Just had a happy point stacking experience. The American Airlines shopping portal was offering a 500 point bonus for spending $200. Uniqlo is in the shopping portal and was at 3x/$. Plus I have a few Amex offers for a $20 statement credit in $100 at Uniqlo. Ebags is at 8x/$ and Amex offers has $15 credit on $75 spend. So for spending $165 after statement credits, I will get 200 Amex MR points and 1600 American Airline miles! Yay!

Do the Uniqlo offers work on gift cards? My daughter is a big fan.

I need some advice from the hotel rewards experts. Just found out that DH has a big conference in August that will be at a Hilton property. Probably several thousand dollars of spending. I'm wondering if it makes sense for him to apply for a Hilton card or just get the x3 rewards for travel on the CSR.

Aside from the Fairmont card that I got earlier this year, we don't have any hotel cards. Are Hilton points a good deal? Do they transfer to anything else?

I started this lovely hobby last month after randomly clicking on this link from the budget board. My first 60k Chase UR points from my CSP just hit my account and I couldn't be more proud, LOL.

We are about finished with the spend on my DH's SW personal and business, which completes the SW Companion Pass-I can't wait for that confirmation!

I have met the spend, am busy maxing out the Freedom 5% back category with groceries and purchasing Disney GC from Wal-greens.

I am thinking the Ink Cash for my husbands "permanent" card that he will use for his business expenses. This will put him at 4/24 (1 SW business, 1 SW personal, 1 AU on my CSP, and then the Ink Cash). I will just cool it on him for awhile, since he doesn't love the game as it is. Fuddy Duddy ;) It doesn't give the large sign-up bonus as the Ink Preferred, but I don't think he would like an annual fee for his business card. He has had an AmEx without an annual-fee for his business forever, and just uses the cash-back option to reduce the bottom line...and doesn't really want to change. It's a family business, so I get his thinking.

He has agreed to a new business card for all of his hotel and other expenses, and will keep his AmEx for the $300,000 he spends in fuel a year. I could cry. Give me the fuel and keep your hotels! But alas. Moving on. The Ink Cash has some good returns, with a decent sign up (30k), so i'll take what I can get.

As for me....I am now 2/24 on chase and plotting my next steps. What's next?!

Last edited:
I need some advice from the hotel rewards experts. Just found out that DH has a big conference in August that will be at a Hilton property. Probably several thousand dollars of spending. I'm wondering if it makes sense for him to apply for a Hilton card or just get the x3 rewards for travel on the CSR.

Aside from the Fairmont card that I got earlier this year, we don't have any hotel cards. Are Hilton points a good deal? Do they transfer to anything else?

Citi Prestige!

Do the Uniqlo offers work on gift cards? My daughter is a big fan.

I don't know. You can always go in through the portal and screen shot the t&c to see if it will.

Last edited:

I think it depends on your goals and use of credit cards for hacking. I obtained mine erratically and without much thought until my 5th Chase card...fortunately it was the CSR :)

Are you doing this to max out cash back? That will lead you down one road (Chase Freedom/Chase Freedom Unlimited/DiscoverIt).

Travel? That's another path, depending on how (first/business class/coach flying; hotels; destination) you travel and where. If first class travel is your thing then possibly the Chase Sapphire Reserve v. Amexp platinum v. Citi Prestige (or all eventually...).

Do you like to travel and have company status or preferences? Then their co branded credit cards.
Note these are outside the 5/24 rule (usually...)
Not under 5/24 Chase Hyatt, Chase Fairmont, Chase Ritz-Carlton, Chase Marriott BusinesChase British Airways Chase Disney Rewards Chase Disney Premier Chase Amazon Chase AARP
(thanks calypso726!) plus the Chase IHG. So...I'd get those after maxing out other Chase cards.

It looks like y'all fly SW so I'd consider what travel cards can transfer to SW. Then I'd look at hotels and where you like to stay v. which general travel card transfers to that program v. hotel card.

Hope this is clear as mud...I'll take myself as an example.

IF I HAD BEEN THINKING...

I would have applied for CSR, then CSP, then Chase Freedom. After that, United and Ritz or Marriott. I like to fly comfortably and sleep in snooty hotels (note this is NOT what I did, rather what I should have done!). Then I would have applied for AmEx Platinum and AmEx Skymiles Reserve, AmEx EDP and SPG personal. These would ensure Skymiles miles plus status (with spend, they don't give it away to lowly mortals ;) since I primarily fly Delta). I'd probably thrown in Barclaycard Arrival Plus (two reasons-chip and PIN for European travel and the "travel erase" credits) and Citi AA (&/or Barclaycard Aviator) for American miles. In my case, I like to have miles for all big 3 airlines since I live in a hub of none but 1 flight away from all 3. Delta is my main airline of the big 3. I like to cruise and explore Europe, all while sleeping in 4 or 5 star hotels (no strong loyalty for any of them-Hyatt, Fairmont, Ritz, Westin, Sheraton are all good). This would have been the smartest for me. I'll say right now I jumped into the credit card thing without really thinking and I don't have 3 of the above Chase cards cause I wasn't thinking linearly.

There are some really savvy people on this board who can help if you can give an idea of overall goals since one strategy doesn't work for everyone (fortunately).

I started this lovely hobby last month after randomly clicking on this link from the budget board. My first 60k Chase UR points from my CSP just hit my account and I couldn't be more proud, LOL.

We are about finished with the spend on my DH's SW personal and business, which completes the SW Companion Pass-I can't wait for that confirmation!

I have met the spend, am busy maxing out the Freedom 5% back category with groceries and purchasing Disney GC from Wal-greens.

I am thinking the Ink Cash for my husbands "permanent" card that he will use for his business expenses. This will put him at 4/24 (1 SW business, 1 SW personal, 1 AU on my CSP, and then the Ink Cash). I will just cool it on him for awhile, since he doesn't love the game as it is. Fuddy Duddy ;) It doesn't give the large sign-up bonus as the Ink Preferred, but I don't think he would like an annual fee for his business card. He has had an AmEx without an annual-fee for his business forever, and just uses the cash-back option to reduce the bottom line...and doesn't really want to change. It's a family business, so I get his thinking.

He has agreed to a new business card for all of his hotel and other expenses, and will keep his AmEx for the $300,000 he spends in fuel a year. I could cry. Give me the fuel and keep your hotels! But alas. Moving on. The Ink Cash has some good returns, with a decent sign up (30k), so i'll take what I can get.

Congrats on joining the travel hacking hobby and getting your first bonus! :yay:

Ok, I'd cry too about that too :sad:

2/24 means keep going after the Chase cards. I'd go with the CSR. Once you make the spend you will have another 50,000 UR points. You can transfer your CSP points to your CSR account and then you'd have 110,000 points that are worth 1.5 when redeemed for travel through the CSR UR portal. You'd get a $300 statement credit on travel this calendar year and again next calendar year before the AF hits. SO for this year's $450 AF you'd get 50,000 UR worth $750 and then $600 in travel statement credits. I'd say paying $450 to get $1350 back is a good deal. If you decide that the AF isn't worth it after the first year then you can product change it to a CFU. If you didn't use the points to book travel through the UR portal they can be used to transfer to Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, Ritz or United, British Airways, Southwest, Korean, Air France, Singapore, Virgin Atlantic.

I do also agree with @tink1970 that you still need to think long term and what your goals are for travel hacking. DH and I do this so we can fly in snooty class seats :snooty: We haven't made our way to travel hacking for the snooty hotels just yet, but I imagine we will. Each time we apply for a card we think about our goals first and what card(s) are going to get us there. The exception would be a 100,000 point/mile offer that is do-able. Those we jump on as they come. Currently, I was contemplating going for the new Altitude card from US Bank when it is released in May. Then, I got an offer to get the Amex Platinum a second time when the bonus is only supposed to be once/lifetime. Now, we are looking at a kitchen re-modeling job since the insurance check from a water damage claim last year finally came through. This now has me thinking I could easily make the spend for a BA companion pass so I might try to go after that card again and get the bonus points. Decisions, decisions.

But right now if Southwest is an airline you use regularly and you are already accumulating UR points, whether you use them to transfer or purchase travel I think you'd be good with the CSR since you are under 5/24. United and Marriott are to be considered if you think they will serve you with long term value. DH and I each have the Marriott but do not put spend on it. We do use the annual category 1-5 hotel night. We actually used it this weekend at Fairfield Inn and Suites near WDW. So we were able to go to the Flower & Garden festival for the weekend, catch the River of Lights at AK and not touch any DVC points for the trip. They have complimentary breakfast and also have a shuttle service to the parks which we don't need but is a nice perk for anyone without a car. Consider your goals and then go from there. Personally though, I'd go after all Chase cards first.

This is super helpful. I am so bummed that I missed the 100k bonus on the CSR, but alas. I keep hoping that they will bump it up with the new US bank card coming out.

We have a trip to Disney/universal in March 2018 and a beach vaca in June 2018 tbd. I'm setting my sights on Germany October 2018.

The CSR sounds like my next victim, along with a hotel card that would be helpful overseas. I haven't been overseas since college, and those were all organized for me!

Since you can switch your companion up to 3 times in a calendar year, I would add your college daughter to save on her ticket. If she is unable to go, I would then change to the person who is most likely to remain your companion to prevent having to use another companion change.

If she does not go, you should be able to change to someone going and refund the points you used for them back to your account.

This is super helpful. I am so bummed that I missed the 100k bonus on the CSR, but alas. I keep hoping that they will bump it up with the new US bank card coming out.

We have a trip to Disney/universal in March 2018 and a beach vaca in June 2018 tbd. I'm setting my sights on Germany October 2018.

The CSR sounds like my next victim, along with a hotel card that would be helpful overseas. I haven't been overseas since college, and those were all organized for me!

My "go to" overseas hotel card is the Club Carlson Premier Visa. After making the bonus spend you would have 97,500 points. The AF is $75 per year and every year on your card anniversary you get 40,000 bonus points. DH and I each have one and have used the points to stay at Radisson Blu hotels for free in London, Scotland and Ireland. I have found plenty of Radisson Blu properties overseas for our travels so far.

I think so in this case. The reserve gets you 12x points and some nice perks. There is a 100k sign up bonus currently so you could end up with a couple hundred k points. I like it for groceries and gas as well as it gets you 6x point. It does have an annual fee but comes with gold status which gets good perks like free breakfast and room upgrades. There is also a free Amex that is decent for Hilton spends.

I just read on reddit that "Chase often won't allow you to have more than 1 biz card at a time". I applied and was approved for SW personal and business last month. I received the 70k United offer so was going to apply for that (on 4/29 as the offer expires on 4/30) and United business or IP the same day but if they are a no go because of the "1 Chase biz card" rule, should I apply for Freedom? And if so, should I apply the same day as United, I'm confused as to whether it's ok to double up applications for personal or not. I feel like I have hit Chase pretty hard over the last couple of months but I may not be looking at that correctly either. I applied and was approved for the following 9/16 CSR, 2/17 home mtg, SW personal and business 3/18/17, and opened a checking and savings 4/17. I'm not sure if the mtg and checking/savings is relevant, I don't really think it is, as when I was speaking with recon after my initial denial for the SW personal they didn't even know I had a new mtg with them. The more I read the more I confuse myself :( TIA!

Discussed with DH today that we may need to start "two player mode" as he is 3/24 and I've been rejected for the CSP ( I'm at 11/24), but approved for the CSR, go figure. I will wait until November to apply in his name as we will have camp expenses that I can meet minimum spending with.

I bought 15,000 IHG points for $89 via Daily getaways. Planning to use at a Candlewood Suites in Melbourne FL the night before our cruise next year.
Points posted for my Barclay card after meeting minimum spend last week. I believe I have to wait until my statement closes before I can redeem them for travel, correct? Do I have to pay my bill if I'm redeeming my rewards for a statement credit on the balance? Anyone know?
Was this for your Arrival? You can redeem once the points have posted to the account, no need for the statement to post. As far as paying the bill, I don't think it counts as a payment toward the card when you redeem, unless the redemption brings you to a 0 balance.

Discussed with DH today that we may need to start "two player mode" as he is 3/24 and I've been rejected for the CSP ( I'm at 11/24), but approved for the CSR, go figure. I will wait until November to apply in his name as we will have camp expenses that I can meet minimum spending with.

I bought 15,000 IHG points for $89 via Daily getaways. Planning to use at a Candlewood Suites in Melbourne FL the night before our cruise next year.
Points posted for my Barclay card after meeting minimum spend last week. I believe I have to wait until my statement closes before I can redeem them for travel, correct? Do I have to pay my bill if I'm redeeming my rewards for a statement credit on the balance? Anyone know?

@Ngwira 2 player mode is definitely the way to go. Double bonus points on cards. On the hotel cards, if you have 2 then you get 2 free nights. I'd rather have a free hotel weekend to use like we do with the Marriott and IHG cards then only one night and still have to pay OOP for a second night.

You have to have a minimum of $100 to redeem in a single transaction. You won't be able to redeem for the $89. This was one of the changes made to the card benefits and why I downgraded to a no fee Arrival and stopped using it.

I just read on reddit that "Chase often won't allow you to have more than 1 biz card at a time". I applied and was approved for SW personal and business last month. I received the 70k United offer so was going to apply for that (on 4/29 as the offer expires on 4/30) and United business or IP the same day but if they are a no go because of the "1 Chase biz card" rule, should I apply for Freedom? And if so, should I apply the same day as United, I'm confused as to whether it's ok to double up applications for personal or not. I feel like I have hit Chase pretty hard over the last couple of months but I may not be looking at that correctly either. I applied and was approved for the following 9/16 CSR, 2/17 home mtg, SW personal and business 3/18/17, and opened a checking and savings 4/17. I'm not sure if the mtg and checking/savings is relevant, I don't really think it is, as when I was speaking with recon after my initial denial for the SW personal they didn't even know I had a new mtg with them. The more I read the more I confuse myself :( TIA!

I personally would not apply for a Freedom because the bonus is so low. I'd apply for a CSP to get the 50,000 UR points and then after a year product change your CSR or CSP (whichever makes better sense for your needs) to a Freedom. Chase will allow you to apply for and receive 2 cards in a 30 day window. I'd go for the United and CSP at the same time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter