I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to stop either. The expenses never end (ours are mostly house remodeling and medical) so why not earn some nice travel benefits while paying what I am already going to pay :)

As fast an earner that the CSR is for dining and travel, especially when Plastiq was coding rent/mortgage as travel, nothing beats the points value from a signup bonus.

I've been trying to move most of our payments over to credit cards but hate the expenses that earn us just 1x, especially if there's a fee. Ideally, I'd like to get a number of cards with category bonuses that cover most of our spending. There might not be a perfect one size fits all card, but I'd want to have a card for almost every situation and get the most back for our money.

My wife remarked the other day that she thought we had too many credit cards, and I (again) had to go over the benefits of each card and what we should be charging to each. I feel like maybe I should put labels on each of her cards for what to charge on them.

My wife remarked the other day that she thought we had too many credit cards, and I (again) had to go over the benefits of each card and what we should be charging to each. I feel like maybe I should put labels on each of her cards for what to charge on them.

I have to make a sticky note for my dh to put in his wallet so he can quickly see how to pay :) He still occasionally uses the wrong card but I try to just bite my tongue cause he doesn't 'live, breathe and eat this' like I do lol!

As far as having a card for each category, I am with you. I can't stand only earning 1x but some expenses (like medical), there just isn't another option. Just realized I really should maybe apply for a 2x earning card for all expenses once I am at 5/24 with Chase or just get a CFU.

I am sad that plastiq is over. That was pretty sweet! I only got two months of that but it helped me easily meet some min spends.

I just finished the spend for the United (70k pnts). I had SW business and personal last month followed immediately by United. My plan and goal was to apply for CIP asap but I'm kind of exhausted with the grind right now. Hopefully the bonus will still be around in a couple of weeks and I will be ready to get at it again, lol.

I keep saying, "After this one we'll slow down for a while", but then I see how many points or miles I'm missing out on and I've got to go for JUST. ONE. MORE. ::yes::

I wish I could get targeted for the United MPE 70k offer. I've tried all the tricks, but I think I'm not getting the offer because I already have the Mileage Plus Select. I've accepted that it's just not happening and I'll have to put that extra x/24 slot to other purposes.

I was going to apply for the CSP next because 50k UR points > 50k United miles, but I saw an opportunity for the CIP and I'm glad I went for it because 80k UR points > 50k UR points and the CIP won't count against 5/24 with Chase. I'm still 3/24 (or 4/24 if counting AUs), so I've got some options. I'll try to take it slow, apply for the CSP later this year (then product change to a CF or CFU eventually), and then wait for one of my x/24 slots to open up in April 2018 -- unless of course, an irresistible offer comes along.

This is what I do for our cards. I know DH has found it very helpful, and even though I'm constantly neck deep in this stuff I've still used the wrong card more than once, so the labels really do help.

This is what I do for our cards. I know DH has found it very helpful, and even though I'm constantly neck deep in this stuff I've still used the wrong card more than once, so the labels really do help.

Face palm confession. As I was reconciling my credit card statements last month I realized I charged two grocery trips to my Chase debit card, not the Chase Freedom. They're both about the same shade of blue and I must've pulled the wrong card!

P.S. Fortunately, they weren't big charges and I'll have no problem maxing out Freedom's 5% category this quarter.

As far as having a card for each category, I am with you. I can't stand only earning 1x but some expenses (like medical), there just isn't another option. Just realized I really should maybe apply for a 2x earning card for all expenses once I am at 5/24 with Chase or just get a CFU.

This is probably getting ahead of myself, but I'm having this debate about what to eventually do with the CSP when I do get it. The high cost of living in the SF Bay Area means I can hit minimum spends in a month or two. Do I then PC the CSP to a Sapphire within a year, then to a CF or CFU to access those benefits ASAP? Or do I toss the CSP in the sock drawer for a year so that I can PC to a CF/CFU directly? Then CF or CFU? CFU offers 1.5x on everything (or 2.25x when transferred to CSR and redeemed for travel). CF has rotating 5x categories, but sometimes they're really useful like this quarter's grocery and drug stores or last year's warehouse clubs, where you can easily max out by buying third-party gift cards.

Then there's the CIP, which overlaps with the CSR's 3x travel, but offers 3x for phone, cable, and internet; and probably most useful if it ever comes up, cell phone insurance. Do you PC the CIP to the no fee Ink Cash to get 5x on office supply stores so you can buy gift cards at Staples/OfficeMax/Office Depot and essentially get 5x on most other places that don't earn you bonus points? CIC's 2x on gas also means I don't have much reason to keep my Amex PRG.

These are some nice problems to have.

The annual fee for the CSP posted last week, so I just PCed it down to a CFU. We've already had a CF for years and have been maxing out the categories ever since we got serious about the points game. Until then, every so often we would just cash out whatever rewards we had.
Right now we both have a CSR, and I'm not sure what we'll do with those. Definitely keeping one, but I might PC the other to a second CF.
I am going to keep my CIP for a year and then PC to Ink Cash. I think I can get more out of 5X office supply store gift cards than what I'll get for internet/phone. If it hadn't been for the 80K bonus I would have gone straight for the Ink Cash.

Face palm confession. As I was reconciling my credit card statements last month I realized I charged two grocery trips to my Chase debit card, not the Chase Freedom. They're both about the same shade of blue and I must've pulled the wrong card!

I feel your pain. I had an entire trip planned at Marriott properties, hopping to different properties in order to use a promotion...then forgot to bring my Marriott Visa. ARGH! At least I never take my CSR out of my wallet but still 3X UR versus 5X Marriott (when I honestly don't use Chase UR as much as others) was frustrating. Ugh. Sometimes I truly annoy myself :sad2:

I feel your pain. I had an entire trip planned at Marriott properties, hopping to different properties in order to use a promotion...then forgot to bring my Marriott Visa. ARGH! At least I never take my CSR out of my wallet but still 3X UR versus 5X Marriott (when I honestly don't use Chase UR as much as others) was frustrating. Ugh. Sometimes I truly annoy myself :sad2:
Nooo!!!!

The annual fee for the CSP posted last week, so I just PCed it down to a CFU. We've already had a CF for years and have been maxing out the categories ever since we got serious about the points game. Until then, every so often we would just cash out whatever rewards we had.
Right now we both have a CSR, and I'm not sure what we'll do with those. Definitely keeping one, but I might PC the other to a second CF.
I am going to keep my CIP for a year and then PC to Ink Cash. I think I can get more out of 5X office supply store gift cards than what I'll get for internet/phone. If it hadn't been for the 80K bonus I would have gone straight for the Ink Cash.

My wife and I each have our own CSR and I've decided we should keep them. Even though the CSR's annual fee is $450, minus the $300 travel credit is $150 AF each. If one of us were to cancel our card, we'd get an AU card anyway with a $75 AF. Canceling is at best a $75 savings for us. Since we're both planning to sign up for GE eventually (whenever we get around to it) and my wife enjoys access to PP lounges (when she can get in), we can squishy math justify the extra cost. The fact that the CSR comes with huge credit lines for both of us means keeping them looks good for our total credit/utilization ratio.

Doesn't the Ink Cash also earn 5x on internet, cable, and phone services, but doesn't include cell phone insurance? I agree that the CIP's 80k bonus is too good to pass up in either case. My credit monitor alerted me to a 2 point ding on Experian from the CIP app. Totally worth it.

Oh no... Is it good or bad that I double check my wife's wallet before her business trips to make sure she has the right credit cards?

Need some help on AA credit cards. I currently have Citi AAdvantage opened Oct 2016 and the Barclay Aviator Red opened Jan 2017. Reading the latest Citi offer I see it says not available to anyone who has opened OR closed an AAdvantage card in the last 24 months. Because I'm already getting my free bag, early boarding and 10% back on mile bookings with my Barclay card is there any reason I shouldn't close the Citi now? I know it will impact my available credit when it comes to my credit score but my whole reason for getting these cards was the sign up bonus so the sooner I can get another sign up bonus the happier I am.

I wonder if credit card companies are getting more wary of applications. I applied for
two yesterday and they immediately went to pending. I don't recall that ever happening
before. I called immediately the recon line and asked if they needed any other info. Was
asked a BUNCH of questions then approved for both.

The cards were Alaska airlines(since they bought Virgin my fave airline.)
The other was Chase Hyatt because plan of hitting Hawaii next year and could
use the free nights.

The Chase rep actually said "oh i see you have a lot of credit you don't use."
What the heck? She sounded disappointed I was a customer.

The Chase rep actually said "oh i see you have a lot of credit you don't use."
What the heck? She sounded disappointed I was a customer.

My take on this is that the CC companies don't want people to have a lot of credit that they don't use because someone might someday decide to use it all at once and then not be able to pay it off.

My take on this is that the CC companies don't want people to have a lot of credit that they don't use because someone might someday decide to use it all at once and then not be able to pay it off.
But also if you're not using the credit, they're not making money. If you charge a bunch & cant pay, they're getting you on interest.

This is probably getting ahead of myself, but I'm having this debate about what to eventually do with the CSP when I do get it. The high cost of living in the SF Bay Area means I can hit minimum spends in a month or two. Do I then PC the CSP to a Sapphire within a year, then to a CF or CFU to access those benefits ASAP? Or do I toss the CSP in the sock drawer for a year so that I can PC to a CF/CFU directly? Then CF or CFU? CFU offers 1.5x on everything (or 2.25x when transferred to CSR and redeemed for travel). CF has rotating 5x categories, but sometimes they're really useful like this quarter's grocery and drug stores or last year's warehouse clubs, where you can easily max out by buying third-party gift cards.

Then there's the CIP, which overlaps with the CSR's 3x travel, but offers 3x for phone, cable, and internet; and probably most useful if it ever comes up, cell phone insurance. Do you PC the CIP to the no fee Ink Cash to get 5x on office supply stores so you can buy gift cards at Staples/OfficeMax/Office Depot and essentially get 5x on most other places that don't earn you bonus points? CIC's 2x on gas also means I don't have much reason to keep my Amex PRG.

Which card are you referring to in what I bolded above? Curious because I am not thinking I will keep my CSP either. I was planning to PC it to a CFU. Already have a CF, keeping my CSR and PC'ing my CIP to a CIC.

I love my Amex BCP for 6% at grocery and my Costco Citi for 4% at gas stations.

Yes, these are first-world problems we have here :)

Which card are you referring to in what I bolded above? Curious because I am not thinking I will keep my CSP either. I was planning to PC it to a CFU. Already have a CF, keeping my CSR and PC'ing my CIP to a CIC.

I've read that you have to hold your CSP for one year before Chase will let you PC to a CF or CFU. But within a year, you can PC a CSP to a no fee Chase Sapphire card, then from the Sapphire card PC to a CF or CFU.

ETA: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/02/06/sapphire-preferred-freedom-unlimited-no-waiting/

Oh no... Is it good or bad that I double check my wife's wallet before her business trips to make sure she has the right credit cards?

I call it 'normal' ;-) I check my dh's wallet all the time and when I know he will be spending somewhere, I send a 'helpful' little text ahead of time so he knows which card to use lol!

the only benefit from the CSP is the AU. I dont recall how many AU u can add so if you have a pretty big family, CSP might be a good idea to AU to your kids and dogs. If not, then its probably best to drop the CSP down to a CF or CFU. Now CF and CFU varies on what you spend it on. If you already have a CF and your maxing it out every quarter, i would def suggest you get another CF. If not, the CFU is great on none categorized purchases.
As for the Ink line, i would always suggest going for the Ink Cash. I have a feeling Chase is gonna get rid of it soon as they got rid of ink+. 5x is def a lot of points. haha. You can try to go from CIP --> CIC but i recall its not possible. I could be wrong though. Give it a shot. I use ink+ with gyft.com, basically buy gift cards at the stores ie Target, Walmart, etc and then use it right away. i use gyft.com to also buy amazon gift cards so i also get 5x on amazon.

CC companies make money on merchants though, so like, its like xx% per transaction or $.45 per transaction. so they want you to swipe as much as possible!

As for swiping the right category, ive always had the idea of using a label maker and printing the smallest txt on what this card is good for for my parents to do. Never dont it yet though but it works. I also use the app Wallaby to also check to see if im using the right card at the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter