I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and your husband can do 2-Player mode, so you each can apply for the same cards if there's a good bonus, or strategically decide one of you will apply for one card and the other apply for something else or not (for example, to stay under 5/24).

In the short term, while you and your husband are still under 5/24, I'd suggest focusing on Chase cards that will earn you the most UR points and give you the best redemption value because you can use those points for flights or a stay at Aulani (or any number of other accommodations in Hawaii).

You can go for another CSP, if you don't have two already, which will give you another 50,000 UR points.

The next obvious choice is the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR), which could earn you 50,000 UR points after $4,000 spend/3 months (or double that if both of you apply), and stretches the value of all your UR points by giving you 50% more value in travel redemption through the UR portal.

When you’ve earned the bonuses from the Sapphire cards, you can product change them to more Freedoms, since you’ve been maxing out the categories; or to a Freedom Unlimited, which you can use for general, non-bonus category spend to earn 1.5x UR points for everything else – which then stretches to 2.25x UR points when you transfer the points and redeem them through a CSR. Obviously, one of you should keep the CSR. If you’re product changing within one year, you may first need to change to a no-fee Sapphire, then to the CF/CFU.

Longer term, you may want to look at an airline card that will earn you miles to fly to Hawaii. I don’t know where you’re based, so I can’t give you specific suggestions about what airline services your local airport with routes to Hawaii. But Southwest doesn’t fly to Hawaii, so you’ll need something else.

http://beyondhonolulu.com/southwest-airlines-to-hawaii-update/

I have read a few articles about Southwest plans to start flights to Hawaii. This one looks a little less promising

Last edited:
Just had a great idea to use some of my UR points on a quick trip to the CA Coast at our favorite hotel (too pricy to go too very often!), was so excited to see it in the UR portal... and then found out the room our family needs isn't available via 3rd party sites. I asked the hotel & they said they only put some of their rooms on 3rd party sites and gave me all the reasons why booking direct with them is better. BUT I CAN'T USE MY UR POINTS & WITHOUT THEM YOUR HOTEL IS TOO EXPENSIVE! Is what I wanted to say, but I stayed silent & decided to vent here instead :) FWIW as others have reported the inventory in this instance exactly matched what was available on Expedia's booking site.

Just had a great idea to use some of my UR points on a quick trip to the CA Coast at our favorite hotel (too pricy to go too very often!), was so excited to see it in the UR portal... and then found out the room our family needs isn't available via 3rd party sites. I asked the hotel & they said they only put some of their rooms on 3rd party sites and gave me all the reasons why booking direct with them is better. BUT I CAN'T USE MY UR POINTS & WITHOUT THEM YOUR HOTEL IS TOO EXPENSIVE! Is what I wanted to say, but I stayed silent & decided to vent here instead :) FWIW as others have reported the inventory in this instance exactly matched what was available on Expedia's booking site.

Just curious what kind of room you need. With four kids, we have needed an assortment of rooms - once we had four kids, it usually made sense to get two rooms.

You might try calling Chase directly to see if they can book for you. I have had luck getting plane tickets that were not shown on the site.

Just curious what hotel?

So if my statement just closed on CSP and I reach spend today, I won't see the bonus for a month, correct?

Also Plastiq should be ok for paying Chase mortgage with CSP?

Just curious what hotel?
Avila Lighthouse Suites. We want 2 queens with an oceanview but apparently that's their most popular room so they don't let Expedia sell it. All King views and 1 2 queen room with a pool view :( just not the same to us but depending how desperate we are to get away in a couple months we might take it anyway! (2 rooms get pricy there, but it's a beautiful property if anyone is looking for a nice, family friendly place to stay in Avila!)

Just curious what kind of room you need. With four kids, we have needed an assortment of rooms - once we had four kids, it usually made sense to get two rooms.
2 queens. Only 2 adult age kids in this crew with 2 parents! With 4 kids I can definitely see the wisdom in 2 rooms!

Also Plastiq should be ok for paying Chase mortgage with CSP?

CSP is a Visa, and Plastiq is under new guidelines from Visa not to allow use of its cards to pay mortgages. However, it's all very YMMV right now. Payments for mortgages to smaller lenders seem to be still going through, and prescheduled payments seem to be unaffected as long as there aren't any changes to them. Chase is a big institutional lender, so it might be blocked. Only way to know for sure is to try and see if you can submit payment or else get an error screen. If you're successful, the payment will very likely code as only 1x. Good luck!

Public service announcement for anyone with Chase Sapphire cards & WDW charges. I was reviewing my UR activity today and noticed an error. I booked the Safari at WDW over the phone and then decided to cancel and pay with gift cards a few days later. I put the charge on my CSR and UR rewarded points at the 1 pt per dollar ratio listing the charge as "DISNEY RESORTS-WDW" on May 10. But when I cancelled it the refund processed at 3 pt per dollar and Chase withdrew 3x pts from my account instead of the 1x on May 15. Refund was also issued by "DISNEY RESORTS-WDW". I have no doubt Chase will refund the points and set it all straight but anyone who had DISNEY RESORTS-WDW charges on their Chase card should double check their UR activity.

So, I got my SW rejection letter today. I can't believe I was so stupid! It said I already had received the bonus for this card, which means I must have applied for the Plus , not the Premier. The thing is, this would be the second time I've done this! And I actually pulled the card out of my wallet to verify which SW card it was, so I'd be SURE to apply for the other. Honestly, I could have sworn I was applying for the Premier. Is there a number I can call to plead my case, or should I just try applying again? Or, failing that, I'm wondering which card would make sense for me. I don't really need the companion pass, as I live alone, and actually could not have gotten it anyway, since the SW card I do have is less than 24 months old. I got the Reserve already when it was 100,000 points, and still have over 35000 points on it. I dont really have any specific plan to work towards. Used some of my UR points to fly my daughter and myself to vacation in Wyoming this summer, and will probably use the rest to fly her from school in Texas back to Connecticut. I'd just like the points so if I do want to go somewhere, they're avsilable. Thoughts on my next step?

Avila Lighthouse Suites. We want 2 queens with an oceanview but apparently that's their most popular room so they don't let Expedia sell it. All King views and 1 2 queen room with a pool view :( just not the same to us but depending how desperate we are to get away in a couple months we might take it anyway! (2 rooms get pricy there, but it's a beautiful property if anyone is looking for a nice, family friendly place to stay in Avila!)

It looks so fun with kind of a Beach Club-vibe!

With the 4th of July coming up, I've been daydreaming of a weekend on the coast. We usually do a small trip every year, but didn't get around to making any plans this year. There are so many great hotels along the California coast, I was wondering if I knew of yours.

So, I got my SW rejection letter today. I can't believe I was so stupid! It said I already had received the bonus for this card, which means I must have applied for the Plus , not the Premier. The thing is, this would be the second time I've done this! And I actually pulled the card out of my wallet to verify which SW card it was, so I'd be SURE to apply for the other. Honestly, I could have sworn I was applying for the Premier. Is there a number I can call to plead my case, or should I just try applying again? Or, failing that, I'm wondering which card would make sense for me. I don't really need the companion pass, as I live alone, and actually could not have gotten it anyway, since the SW card I do have is less than 24 months old. I got the Reserve already when it was 100,000 points, and still have over 35000 points on it. I dont really have any specific plan to work towards. Used some of my UR points to fly my daughter and myself to vacation in Wyoming this summer, and will probably use the rest to fly her from school in Texas back to Connecticut. I'd just like the points so if I do want to go somewhere, they're avsilable. Thoughts on my next step?
No specific SW advice but when/if you do decide to apply again print each page to a pdf or screenshot it so you can look back and know exactly what you did. It helps me keep track of everything I apply for.

You could get the Barclaycard Arrival Plus. The 50,000 bonus points plus the $3,000 MS would get you a $560 statement credit towards the hotel cost.

It looks so fun with kind of a Beach Club-vibe!

With the 4th of July coming up, I've been daydreaming of a weekend on the coast. We usually do a small trip every year, but didn't get around to making any plans this year. There are so many great hotels along the California coast, I was wondering if I knew of yours.
Right? I love the CA coast! We like the small-town feel of Avila and being able to walk to little shops along the beach from our hotel without dealing with the insanity that has become Pismo. That and they have make your own waffles at breakfast ;)

Right? I love the CA coast! We like the small-town feel of Avila and being able to walk to little shops along the beach from our hotel without dealing with the insanity that has become Pismo. That and they have make your own waffles at breakfast ;)

If you're ever farther up north, do visit Carmel-by-the-Sea and Mendocino.

Super excited! Snagged saver upgrades to first class on United for our upcoming flight from SFO to LHR for our DCL British Isles cruise. Saver awards for first class were only 80k miles each (or 50k more per person since we'd already paid 30k miles each for the coach saver awards when we first booked). This compares to 150k each for the standard business awards that had been the only upgrade showing as available for our flight until today. We also had to pay $125 per person for the award change, but totally worth the extra 200k miles and $500 for first class on a 10+ hour nonstop flight. I had to transfer UR points to United while on the phone with the United agent, but they transferred almost instantly. Dancing on the ceiling right now :)

Did they post end date for 60k bonus? I don't see it on their website.

6/29 is the guess. Someone noticed it says that in a sponsored post directly for facebook. It might not end that day, it might end earlier... nothing official.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter